Lews and graphite frames

Started by MBB Nate, August 12, 2017, 04:26:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MBB Nate

What is the deal with Lews offering so many graphite frame reels?  I also think they have the most expensive graphite casting reel on the market.  Here is a list of their graphite reels and prices:

American Hero - $60
Laser MG - $80
Mach - $100
Mach 1 - $120
Mach 2 - $140
Mach Crush - $160

They have plenty of alum frame reels in this range:
LFS - $100
Tournament MB - $140
BB1 - $140

I just dont understand the appeal of all the mach reels when you can get a much higher quality reel for the same price while staying in the Lews lineup. 

LgMouthGambler

Its geared towards the kids that want the bright colors. That Crush one got plenty of attention for being a loud color.

<")))>{

My wife says she is gonna leave me if I go fishing one more time........lord how I will miss that woman.

MBB Nate

I have an LFS which was my first baitcastern in about a decade.  I've had it for a couple years and it has been a reliable workhorse, but it's nowhere close to my Daiwas and I don't think it's even as good as my $25 clearance priced Academy h20 reels.

I guess they are just going for colors but it seems odd from a business prospective to convolute your own product line like that.

SFL BassHunter

Quote from: MBB Nate on August 12, 2017, 10:16:59 PM
I have an LFS which was my first baitcastern in about a decade.  I've had it for a couple years and it has been a reliable workhorse, but it's nowhere close to my Daiwas and I don't think it's even as good as my $25 clearance priced Academy h20 reels.

I guess they are just going for colors but it seems odd from a business prospective to convolute your own product line like that.

Well they are trying to stand out somehow and if they are going for the young angler, or anglers that like bright colors then it's probably working. If you look at the Shimano line all their reels are subtle colors, they are beautiful looking reels, but they don't stand out until you get to the really high end ones. They play with every shade of grey and silver and chrome.
So Lews makes reels that pop, and then they make a few reels for the more conservative angler.
PB: 6lbs 5oz / 24.25 inches.
Rods/Reels Dobyns, 13 Fishing, Cabelas Arachnid, Daiwa Tatula CT, Tatula SVTW, Tatula Tactical, Tatula Type R
Florida Bass Fishing

kadas

Just me but I do not care what color any reel manufacture makes their reels I do not want or have any use in buying a reel with a graphite frame

fishballer06

I don't get why they feel the need to have a reel at every $20 price point...
3rd place 2019 iBass - Cool Casters
2nd place 2019 iBass - Team Tournament

rockchalk06

Quote from: fishballer06 on August 14, 2017, 07:34:11 AM
I don't get why they feel the need to have a reel at every $20 price point...

Because demand asks for it. Customer sets certain limit on purchase. Their ignorance or lack of knowledge on the materials and built quality lets  Brand X make and sell at all price points. Every manufacturer does this.

Take the Curado v's the Citica. Only difference in these reel is color and 3-5 extra bearings. 5 bearings upgrade cost less than 10 dollars with shipping, but the 30 dollar difference is enough to get customer A, from buying the Curado. Shimano knows this and makes a reel at both price points. Both will sell like crazy.