taking my shot at tournament mentality

Started by coldfront, August 13, 2017, 09:24:35 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

coldfront

fair or not, here's the story...

yesterday out on Nickajack, I decided to run a bit further down lake, and as I came around a point, saw a couple of guys in a boat waving their arms.

these boys were in the mouth of a cove leading to a public dock.  they'd been there for an hour trying to get folks to stop and help...

lots of tournament activity yesterday, and it's getting later in the year so some of the pleasure boat traffic is dieing down...

they'd seen plenty of boats run by ... apparently too busy to stop and see what was up.

dead battery.  I towed them in.  took about 45 minutes.

Princeton:  the 'jackwagon' nonsense goes beyond running to close, not being courteous with wakes, jumping spots...

so, tournament guys:  what do you do when you're in the heat of the tournament, in full blown tournament mode, and someone needs help?

and what really gets my goat?  this is in the South where folks feel they have 'manners'.  Really?

Mike Cork

I always stop and help. Being stranded on the water can be dangerous. I've been passed up before and it's very disappointing and disheartening. Normally it's only going to take a few minutes. If nothing else just stop and get my name, boat number/discription and tell me your going to get me help. Don't just blast past me.

In many states it's illigal to pass a stranded boat in distress that is hailing for help.

Fishing is more than just a hobby

Dobyns Rods - Monster Fishing Tackle
Cork's Reel Service

Oldfart9999

I stopped and towed a boat in during an ABA tx, the director said he was going to dq me, told him to go ahead(this guy was a ninny) he called Morris and who told him as long as watched and didn't see me do anything hinkey to leave me along. To not help someone is the worst thing you can do, don't even call yourself human!!
Rodney
Old Fishermen never die, their rods just go limp.

Bud Kennedy

Here in the Carolinas you are required to stop and render aide.  I could not imagine passing someone by.  Over the years I have both given and received help.  You just got to pay it forward.

coldfront

thanks all.  couple y ounger guys out there ... big motor not working.  no trolling motor.

now the other half of the story:  apparently no cell phone OR the (required safety equipment) oar...

talked to them just a bit at the dock about safety equipment... and how, if nothing else, they were risking a ticket.

I am NOT bashing TXTs... know it can be tough to 'give up' a portion of a day you've looked forward to all week...  I've been there a lot.

the other side of this:  I run a ways (for me) at times.  10, 15 miles away from the ramp is not uncommon.  I carry BOATUS insurance for 'that day' when I will absolutely need them.

still, they won't be able to get to me if I don't have a cell phone.  a very basic safety device that just about all of us have.

Pacific NW Ron

Good for you.  Amazing how many people don't stop and render aid, even if it's required by law.  Most of us know the feeling of being stranded on the water.  It ain't fun.
Ron
Enjoying retirement in the great Pacific Northwest.  I've turned into a fair weather angler.  Why do it today when I can do it tomorrow?

Deadeye

I've been there. My old smaller boat I came out into the larger lake out of the the protected run I had been fishing. Had no idea the wind had come up strong.

Worked my way out past the Slow Speed Zone and started across to get off when BOOM motor shut down. I used the TM but the waves were busting over and I waved a white rag at every boat that came within sight with no one even looking at me twice.

Finally two guys that had been watching me from THE OTHER SIDE OF THE LAKE came over and asked if I needed help. Towed me into where I could finish up with the TM to the launch. Wouldn't take a dime. Could of saved my life. Found a wire had burnt through killing the spark.

Not much later I came out of a oxbow on the river and saw two guys waving their arms. Their motor had shut down too. I towed them back to the ramp while others blew past us rocking and waking the heck out of us. They offered and I refused. Told them to Pay it Forward.

Princeton_Man

Quote from: Bud Kennedy on August 13, 2017, 01:36:42 PM
Here in the Carolinas you are required to stop and render aide.  I could not imagine passing someone by.  Over the years I have both given and received help.  You just got to pay it forward.

Here and WV also. I don't remember for sure but I believe that's either USCG for navigable waters or Maritime law.

I always stop and assist and done a few tows.

Stratos 285 XL Pro 150 Evinrude ETEC

Dobyns Rods - LSCR Club

coldfront

Kris

With boating and motorcycling I have always offered assistance.  I have also received assitance in both cases.  Never towed a motorcycle with mine but have towed a few boats over the years.  I once got towed back to my slip by the County Police Boat.
There are a lot of good people out there and some real jackasses.  I hope I am considered to be one of the good people.
Reservoir fishing in MD, Vietnam Vet, Retired
Ouachita 16' Model B, Minn Kota, Lowrance, Raymarine
Moderator - Maryland Fishing Reports and Chat

topdsm0138

Stop and give aid because it's the right thing to do wether it is a tournament or not.

Sent from my SM-J700P using Tapatalk

"I'm a simple man, with simple pleasures." -Trevor Belmont

merc1997

i've hauled a lot of folks in over the years.  hopefully, i will get help when i need it.

bo
On Heaven's Lake

Thornback

I towed a large boat to shore once on a big lake with my 40 HP Merc. Took about a half hour and the Merc was straining. I could never pass up a stranded boater. I also always carry a container of one gallon of gas should I see someone who has run out of gas, or I should run out.