Summer Pickles

Started by flowerjohn, August 14, 2017, 08:52:56 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

flowerjohn

Since the harvest is getting on here full tilt I thought I would share an easy recipe for refrigerator pickles. Now they don't have to be just cucumbers. They can be beans, cabbage, corn, garlic, mushrooms, tomatoes... you name it. Pickling extends the amount of time that I can enjoy these vegetables since they will easily last a few months in the fridge. This recipe does not require a hot water bath although that method will keep your pickles for many months more, but I am lazy.

I'm gonna pickle some pencil beans here and I forgot to put water and sugar into that picture.

For a one litre mason jar put a cup each of water( bottled and without chlorine ) and pickling vinegar ( 5% to 7% acetic acid ) with a tablespoon each of pickling salt ( don't use table salt, go get kosher or any natural salt without iodine because table salt will cake up in the jar ) and sugar.

While that concoction is dissolving on the heat, fill a one litre mason jar with a handful of dill, three or four cloves of garlic, a teaspoon each of peppercorns and mustard seed, a sprig of basil, two bay leaves and a half inch or so of some son of a byatchin hot pepper ( if you wish ).

Then fill tightly with beans.

Once the salt and sugar have dissolved and before the solution boils, pour it into the jar leaving only a 1/2 inch of air at the top.
Lid with rubber and ring tightly and set on the counter to cool overnight.

Refrigerate and begin to enjoy these tasty gems in a few days. Three to five days wait is best but you can try them the next day if you wish.

Here's some cukes.

Super easy and fast to prepare and man do they taste good. Cheers and thanks for looking in here.  John. 

Pacific NW Ron

Looks good John.  Enjoy.
Ron
Enjoying retirement in the great Pacific Northwest.  I've turned into a fair weather angler.  Why do it today when I can do it tomorrow?

Oldfart9999

Thanks for the recipe John!!
Rodney
Old Fishermen never die, their rods just go limp.

Mike Cork

Awesome, going to try this  :-*

Fishing is more than just a hobby

Dobyns Rods - Monster Fishing Tackle
Cork's Reel Service

Wizard

I don't get it, John. Why do you have a refrigerator? You LIVE in a refrigerator. And how do you grow crops that close to the Arctic Circle?  I would think the moose and reindeer would eat the crops.  Do you supplement the pickles with seal or whale fat? Canada sure seems like a backwards place to live.

flowerjohn

Quote from: Wizard on August 15, 2017, 12:53:37 PM
I don't get it, John. Why do you have a refrigerator? You LIVE in a refrigerator. And how do you grow crops that close to the Arctic Circle?  I would think the moose and reindeer would eat the crops.  Do you supplement the pickles with seal or whale fat? Canada sure seems like a backwards place to live.

Heck Wizard, we need the damned refrigerators to keep the polar bears out! The crops grow good in the summer if you leave a big enough hole in the top of the igloo. Too big a hole and the reindeer will eat everything. It's a real art. Of course with the weather, I grow three cucumbers a year if I am lucky, since summer begins here July 21st and ends August 7th. In addition, the government takes two thirds of what we grow in the form of taxes!! The tree huggers here have put a stop to most whale and seal hunting but there is an underground trade in them begun by our local Eskimo friends. That stuff is valuable like heroin up here now man!! Roflmfao ( that extra f is for frozen) !!

Message sent via the FC Network.

LgMouthGambler

Had a whole different thought to this thread.  lo
My wife says she is gonna leave me if I go fishing one more time........lord how I will miss that woman.

flowerjohn

Quote from: LgMouthGambler on August 15, 2017, 02:28:15 PM
Had a whole different thought to this thread.  lo
Pay attention to this son and you will have unlocked one of the secret ingredients to the perfect alabamatini!!

Message sent via the FC Network.

Wizard

Thanks, John!  Now I know how Canadians live. I know you have to at seal fat to be able to digest protein in cold climates. lol

You're a good man, John. The shot was there. I couldn't resist and had to take it.

Donald Garner

John, man that was pretty simple.  Tks for sharing the recipe and pictures with us.
Belton Texas part of God's Country
Stratos 285 Pro XL Yamaha 150 VMax; Lowrance Hook 7 Electronics; Minn Kota Foretrex Trolling Motor

G3 1548 Alwed Jon boat Yamaha 25hp outboard 

CraigP83

That looks good

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk