Kelper lake

Started by ride1599, August 15, 2017, 10:47:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ride1599

Anyone have any info on Kelper lake? Looking over google maps for some new waters to fish.

andy52887

It is a stump field lake and other then spring time the fishing isn't that great. It is a fairly deep lake by the dam and clear. Two launches one by the dam (don't suggest using it due to sketchy people hanging out) then one right by the bridge.
Stanley Field Staff (www.fishstanley.com)

ride1599

Quote from: andy52887 on August 15, 2017, 08:05:06 PM
It is a stump field lake and other then spring time the fishing isn't that great. It is a fairly deep lake by the dam and clear. Two launches one by the dam (don't suggest using it due to sketchy people hanging out) then one right by the bridge.
rodge thank you for the info. Can you run it at all or is it best to just idle around?

Russ199A

Not sure about running the lake, but I've been told it was one of the first lakes the Florida strain was released. Big fish have came out of there but I've never fished it.
Hard to drive an hour when there are 5 others less than 30 mins.
2014, 2016 & 2017 TCTC AOY - With a little help from the man upstairs!

Mike Cork

DONT RUN!!! Even the guys I know that fish it regularly won't run it. It's a big fish lake, so that means it can be stingy. It's also the lake the local bass guys go to, to fill the freezer with crappie.

Fishing is more than just a hobby

Dobyns Rods - Monster Fishing Tackle
Cork's Reel Service

ride1599

Rodge, thanks for the info guys. Hoping to to make it out there one day soon, will post how it goes.

reliford

I fish it sometimes I never plane my boat out in it I hit stumps in the boat roads and channel but fishing wise it's been good to me right now I'd throw big worms in the stump on the edge of the channel and crank baits on the humps there's also Lilly pads the fish will get in at times
God willing

ride1599

Quote from: reliford on September 05, 2017, 10:39:04 AM
I fish it sometimes I never plane my boat out in it I hit stumps in the boat roads and channel but fishing wise it's been good to me right now I'd throw big worms in the stump on the edge of the channel and crank baits on the humps there's also Lilly pads the fish will get in at times
Quote from: andy52887 on August 15, 2017, 08:05:06 PM
Im going to head out there this sunday and try it out. I was looking at google maps for the launch at the bridge and couldn't see one really. Is it a public ramp or a pay one and is it just off the road that the bridge is on?

reliford

Yes but I always launch at the dam though because everything I wanna fish on that end of the lake and I don't know how to run it
God willing

ride1599

Quote from: reliford on September 21, 2017, 04:25:25 PM
Yes but I always launch at the dam though because everything I wanna fish on that end of the lake and I don't know how to run it
Ever have problems with stuff missing after launching there? just want to make sure I come back and have my wire harness and trailer tires.

reliford

God willing

Russ199A

So did you have some luck?

ride1599

Ha not yet. Hopefully this weekend I can get a line wet. Seems like every time I plan on going fishing something comes up. Think its been 2 months since Ive been on the water.

ʇuǝɹq™

I'm hitting it up tomorrow. I really want to go to Claiborne, but I'm giving this place a try instead.

Russ199A

Well good luck to both of you guys. I've been wanting to hit Claiborne and try my luck with some stripers but got to work on the house for resale.

ʇuǝɹq™

I sure wish I would have went to Claiborne, or Cross, or Caddo, or Hosston, etc. Nice looking lake, but I will never go back.