Ultimate Bass ULTIMATE BASS | BASS FISHING CLASSIFIED ADS | CONTACT US    

Bass Fishing information about bass boats, tackle, fishing rods, baitcasters and other reels all about bass fishing.
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Tapatalk should be back up. Please report issues -->here<--. Thank you!

Page Down
FREE TACKLE EVERY WEEK

Bass Anglers Magazine - The Best bass fishing magazine on the rack! Subscribe Today and Catch More Bass

NuTech Lures

Doc Irv Custom Baits

Life Vantage

Get Bit Outdoors

Fishing Frenzy Tackle

Bass Anglers Magazine - The Best bass fishing magazine on the rack! Subscribe Today and Catch More Bass

Bass Boats For Sale Free Classified Ads

Laurie Cork
Ph. (318)347-7380
You can Email Me Here

Mike Cork
Ph. (318)560-9827

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Took my nephews fishing for their first time  (Read 276 times)

PassinBass

• UB Member
  • Baby Bass
Took my nephews fishing for their first time
« on: August 16, 2017, 09:39:06 AM »

Last weekend my nephews asked for me to take them fishing, which I was more than happy to do. I've always told them that I would take then fishing whenever and this past weekend it finally worked out. They are 7 and 5 with minimal fishing experience and so I wanted it to be enjoyable for them first, and secondarily educational.

We were fishing with live worms and weren't necessarily fishing for bass, but rather pretty much anything that would bend their rods, which most likely means targeting bluegills.

We went out mid morning which probably wasn't the best time but it was the only time that worked for our schedules. I initially tried to fish around docks and weedlines but they quickly said that they wanted to go to to the middle of the lake where it was deeper as they thought the fish would be there. I tried to let them know that we had a better chance fishing in the spots I chose but I wanted to make it as enjoyable as possible for them and obliged with their request.

Once we got towards open water I helped them cast their lines off the side of the boat. Young boys aren't the most patient in the world and would quickly reel their bait in to check if it was still there. I tried throwing some old bread into the water to chum up any fish that may be around but it wasn't fruitful. After about 20 minutes the fishing stopped and they were more interested in cruising around on the boat. I was fine with this as it was pretty much what I expected would happen when I offered to take them. 

How do your guys fishing trips go with your kids? Is it pretty much the same thing or are they more interested in fishing or more patient?

I imagine if we caught something rather quickly their attention span would have lasted longer. Any suggestions on attracting bluegills?

I have a 6 month old and 2 year old that I haven't taken out in my boat yet and have only been bank fishing with my oldest once.  I'm hoping to refine my ability to get my kids interested in fishing by using my nephews as my test patients now.

Lipripper

• Life Member
  • Illinois
Re: Took my nephews fishing for their first time
« Reply #1 on: August 16, 2017, 09:54:44 AM »

Your off to a good start and as long as they are having a good time at that age that's what matters. Their young minds tend to wander and don't stay locked in on anything for very long. Even when they are catching fish after awhile they will get off track and onto something else. Just make sure they are having fun and they will keep asking you to take them out.  ;D

Kats Rule And Bass Drool.Viet Nam Vet

Mike Cork

• Father Time
  • Admin
  • Get the Net it's a Hawg
    • Ultimate Bass
« Reply #2 on: August 16, 2017, 09:59:20 AM »

With this age group your right on par. If the fish aren't biting they move on to a new interest. The best part is that they have fun no matter what. While started off as a fishing trip, no matter how it ends up, it was an adventure for them and they will remember it.

Now to ensure a good "catching" trip takes patients and practice. Instead of heading out and hoping, prefish. Take the time to find them some fish. Whether it be small bass, bluegill, catfish. Go out and find them. I know we all hit the water wanting to find the bass, but we can go at day break and get our fill then late morning, grad a bobber and worms and go searching. You can cover water much faster looking for a bream bed by yourself or with another avid angler. Bream eat quickly, so if you don't get bites right off keep moving until you find them. Doing this is hard with young anglers, so set your self up for success and do the finding part before you take them.
Fishing is more than just a hobby

Dobyns Rods - Monster Fishing Tackle
Cork's Reel Service

cport

• Charter Member
  • FlukeMaster who?
« Reply #3 on: August 16, 2017, 11:00:43 AM »

Another thing to remember-DON'T FISH. If you go with the expectation of fishing instead of teaching, you will get frustrated. Seems like you had that one figured out too.
 Mike's recommendation of pre-fishing is spot on. I took the kids to spots that I had previously caught bream, and once they figure out that you know what you are talking about when you put them on fish, they will listen to other recommendations as well. Although it is important to make sure they have a good time, stick with your fishing/teaching plan. Do like teachers do in the classroom; they will accommodate certain requests to make the learning experience enjoyable, but they will not let the kids dictate the lesson plan (wife used to teach). So stick to your guns when it comes to things like fishing locations, putting them on fish at a fairly rapid pace will keep their interest.
 I've taught two generations of kids to fish (had another set with my second wife), and I wish I had this message board for the first set, a lot of trial and error.
 Bring snacks and drinks, even if only going out for an hour.
 When they are really young like yours are, bring a special toy or woobie, they will usually lose interest quickly and they will want something of theirs to focus on while you watch their bobber (learned that one the hard way, lots of tears, LOL). Then let them reel it in after hooking up.
 If possible, allow them let the fish go, or help you to do it. It is natural for them to want to keep it, they see it as a pet or possession since they caught it, but if you explain that the fishy wants to go home to its mommy and daddy, that usually does the trick, and starts developing a catch and release mentality. My 8-yr old daughter and 5-yr old son don't even think about keeping them anymore, they only get upset if I forget to let them throw it back.
 It's never too early to get them good fishing gear. Barbie and Mickey are fine before 3 years, but after that, they should start out with at least a decent Zebco setup. I usually move mine up to spinning gear after they have mastered the concept of casting with the spin-cast. Both you and the kids will appreciate quality gear, less time spent with foul ups and lost fish. Respool any line that you get with combos. There are good combos out there that are reasonably priced, but the line always sucks. Pfleuger and Okuma both make good spinning combos.
« Last Edit: August 16, 2017, 11:13:50 AM by cport »
6.31 PB 🎣

PassinBass

• UB Member
  • Baby Bass
Took my nephews fishing for their first time
« Reply #4 on: August 17, 2017, 09:13:49 AM »

Thank you for all the feedback and advice!

You guys are right, as long as they are having fun and enjoying being outside and making memories that's what matters.

Recently, a coworker recalled how he never got into fishing even though growing up his step dad had an offshore boat and would take him fishing. He said his step dad never taught him what to do and not to do when it comes to fishing. He mentioned that he always felt like he was in the way of his step dad and his buddies and that he only got to go because his step dad didn't have a babysitter. I really don't want this to be what my nephews or kids grow up to remember as fishing. 

Last year I made somewhat of the same mistake while on a beach vacation with the family and I was surf fishing. My oldest nephew really wanted to fish and I tried to set him up but I got frustrated as he wasn't very patient and I hadn't caught anything yet, and I really wanted to focus on fishing myself. I always felt bad about this and decided that moving forward whenever I would fish with them I wouldn't fish myself and devote my time to helping them learn, catch, and have fun.

Great idea on the pre-fishing. Next time I'll definitely pre-fish and make sure I take them to some productive spots.

One big mistake that I made was not bringing any food or water on the boat. I assumed that their mother was going to bring all that with them (wont make that mistake again). After the first 10 minutes the youngest said he wanted to go back to the dock as he was getting thirsty. I took him back and fortunately I had water in the Jeep. Additionally I had to give one of them my hat as he was saying he was getting sun In his eyes. Next time I'll be sure to bring all that stuff along with some toy (great idea cport) or other item to keep them occupied if they don't want to watch their bobber.
« Last Edit: August 17, 2017, 09:19:34 AM by PassinBass »

Lipripper

• Life Member
  • Illinois
« Reply #5 on: August 17, 2017, 01:05:29 PM »

If you bring toys make sure they float. ;D

Kats Rule And Bass Drool.Viet Nam Vet

PassinBass

• UB Member
  • Baby Bass
« Reply #6 on: August 17, 2017, 04:10:34 PM »

If you bring toys make sure they float. ;D

Good call!

Kris

• Ol' Skool
  • Charter Member
« Reply #7 on: August 17, 2017, 07:03:15 PM »

I take my 4 year old Grandson to a local lake for bluegills.  I cast out the rod with a bobber, small hook and a piece of worm on it.  I set the hook and he brings in the fish.  It goes really well for about 10 minutes before the fun loses his attention span.  A couple days later we go through it again.  Really small bluegills but for a 4 year old they are big.  Mamaw loves to hear him tell the story of what he caught.
I told him last week that I would take him out in the reservoir rig for a ride to get him used to it.  Gonna be a couple more years before he will be ready for a big fiberglass boat.
Reservoir fishing in MD
Ouachita 16' Model B,Minn Kota, Lowrance, Raymarine
Retired, Vietnam Vet 11th ACR 68/69, Ham Radio Operator

cport

• Charter Member
  • FlukeMaster who?
« Reply #8 on: August 18, 2017, 07:25:35 AM »

That's really cool, Kris. A great idea to just go for a ride at first with no fishing, let him get accustomed to a boat and the safety aspects can be focused on without the distraction of fishing. And thanks for your service, BTW. My pop served over there as well.
6.31 PB 🎣
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Monster Fishing Tactle is the best place to buy your tackle needs Check them out online

When Bass Fishing Is More than Just a Hobby - Dobyns Rods

The most innovative and technologically advanced fishing rod blanks on the planet

Get Chomped at Mega Chomp Lure Company and Get The Best Baits for your Money

QUICK LINKS
UB Home
Main Forum
Welcome
Dock Talk
Techniques
Rods and Reels
Tackle Box
Catch of the Day
UB Contests
Tips and Ideas
Sponsor Connection
Fishing Reports
Charter Members Only
Bass Fishing Classified Ads
Boats 4 Sale

BECOME A
CHARTER MEMBER
SUPPORT UB

Find out about the contests before everyone else and know about the latest news first

Page Up

Page created in 0.065 seconds with 34 queries.