The last one is gone.

Started by Oldfart9999, August 18, 2017, 06:13:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Oldfart9999

We lost the last dog to live in this house Tuesday, my son's 18 year old dog that has been with us for about 4-5 years. Her name was Brandi, part beagle, part we're not sure. She showed up at his place when he was living in the southern tier, she slept in a barn, when any body came she would be jumping up and down with her barn mates until she was let go for a run or everybody left, because of that she developed arthritis in her hind quarters, she and I spent a fair amount of time commiserating with each other especially during bad weather. Brandi was a real sweet heart, didn't have an angry bone in her body. She did have 2 bad habits, products of her country living outdoors, she wasn't really housebroken and when she got loose she would wander off exploring, for just walking she could cover ground.
The house has an empty feeling, it's been 20 plus years since we haven't had a dog. She will be the last, both my wife and I are allergic to them.
You're missed Brandi!!! :( :'(
Rodney
Old Fishermen never die, their rods just go limp.

Va_Hawghunter

Sorry for the loss Rodney

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
There is nothing like time on the water.

Kris

Sorry to hear of the loss Rodney.. 
Reservoir fishing in MD, Vietnam Vet, Retired
Ouachita 16' Model B, Minn Kota, Lowrance, Raymarine
Moderator - Maryland Fishing Reports and Chat

flowerjohn

Sorry for your loss Rodney.

Message sent via the FC Network.

Lipripper

Sorry for your loss and I know how you feel, We lost my daughters 16 year old Pit Bull Baine when they lived with us a couple of years ago and I still miss him. They get to be like family and I can still remember the day he died. He was like a little baby.

Kats Rule And Bass Drool.Viet Nam Vet

Princeton_Man

Very sorry the hear that Rodney. They become as much a part of our families as blood kin. The beagle in her was what contributed to her wandering. Always on the hunt, nose in the air or on the ground.

We lost my dog Jasper in 2012. I inherited him from my wife Kathy when she went to be with our Lord in 2004. He helped me keep on track after she passed. No matter where I traveled or what I was doing, he was there. (I learned who all the pet friendly businesses and hotels were and those who weren't thought he was a service dog). When Linda and I married she had a cat who became best friends with Jasper. Jasper became ill during our beach vacation that year and died a couple months later. The cat grieved himself to death and died three months later.

We both said "that's it, no more".

A little more than a year later, Linda see's a rescue group's post on Facebook about this poor beagle that had been starved and abused. Yup, you guessed it! We adopted another child.

And while I made it absolutely clear that we would NEVER have another cat in the house, we now have two. ~b~
Stratos 285 XL Pro 150 Evinrude ETEC

Dobyns Rods - LSCR Club

SteelHorseCowboy

Sorry to hear it man. They really are family. My coworker and I were discussing it the other day. Working dogs are one thing. Those of us who love dogs will love them still, but the pets are another story.
I remember my first dog, and every one of them after.
I was still in diapers and we happened into a situation where there was a litter, and one of the pups pretty much just adopted me. My dad asked the owner how much he'd take, and he said he'd let us have him for free.
My dad don't accept anything for free, so he paid the man a nickel. Hence his name, Nickel. So glad he didn't pay the man 50 cents for him, but we did end up with two more named Penny and Dollar many years later.

He was 50% Catahoula Cur, 25% Alaskan Malamute, and 25% Siberian Husky. Looked like a giant, grey, glass eyed wolf. He was massive, his head reached my mom's hip, and he scared the hell out of everyone. We were so close it was almost like we had a mental link. I didn't have to speak to him, he knew what I was feeling and what I needed even before I did. My mom was the only other one he'd listen to, and only grudgingly. He hated my dad, but tolerated him.
I woke up on Christmas Day when I was 8 years old and knew something was wrong before I even opened my eyes. He'd died in his sleep right next to me in bed. He'd gotten heartworms and didn't survive the treatment. He was on a preventative, but they weren't quite as effective back then, and the treatment was a bit more harsh than it is now.

Capt. BassinLou

LgMouthGambler

My wife says she is gonna leave me if I go fishing one more time........lord how I will miss that woman.

Mike Cork

Sorry for your loss oldfart.

MotherNature and I are dog lovers and always have two or three. They are just like kids to us. We've lost several over the years and while it doesn't hurt any less, we know they've always had a good home, all the treats they could stand, and shared love. Unfortunately dogs have a short life span. I think it's because their of their loyalty, they have a much harder time when the passing roles are reversed.

Fishing is more than just a hobby

Dobyns Rods - Monster Fishing Tackle
Cork's Reel Service

Pacific NW Ron

Sorry about your loss.  I know how it feels.  I lost my Shih Tzu buddy, of 18 years several years ago and I still think about him.
Ron
Enjoying retirement in the great Pacific Northwest.  I've turned into a fair weather angler.  Why do it today when I can do it tomorrow?

DonM

We had a fence put up yesterday so my grandson can get a dog.  It will end up being my dog I'm sure.  :)
DonM

Lipripper

Quote from: DonM on August 18, 2017, 10:05:50 AM
We had a fence put up yesterday so my grandson can get a dog.  It will end up being my dog I'm sure.  :)
It always works out that way.  lo lo

Kats Rule And Bass Drool.Viet Nam Vet

zippyduck

Sorry for your loss.
I lost two this year and it doesn't ever get easy.
3rd place 2017 UB IBASS 377.75"
AOY 2018 IBASS Cool Casters  369.00"
AOY 2019 IBASS Cool Casters  362.50"

mygreenihc

Sorry for your loss Rodney,

I lost an Argentinian Dogo last year and a boxer two years ago.  Right now the only dog at the house is my sons truck washing sponge,  a miniature Aussie that is a royal pain in the butt.  He is a good dog,  he just has way too much energy and attitude to be in a house.

Brad

Lee Smith

Builder of Custom Personal Bassin' Rods

fishandkamp

Rodney sorry for the loss. These creatures are gifts from above filled with his love!!
Let's not say we have no place for another, after all God makes up the plan. Maybe in a little while just the right set of cute eyeballs and a wiggly tail may change your mind.  That has happened to many of my friends.

For now that girl gave you great memories to hang on to.  Our thoughts and prayers are with you.

Donald Garner

Rodney sorry for the lost brother.  During the past 4yrs we lost Milo (13yrs old) German Shepard Husky mix.  Solomon (16yrs old) Siamese Persian Short Hair Cat.  Both had cancer.  We took it pretty hard when both went.  I keep asking the wife if she wants another pet and the answer is no.

Belton Texas part of God's Country
Stratos 285 Pro XL Yamaha 150 VMax; Lowrance Hook 7 Electronics; Minn Kota Foretrex Trolling Motor

G3 1548 Alwed Jon boat Yamaha 25hp outboard 

TWBryan

Sorry for your loss,it hurts I know. I lost my siamese last year after he caught bone cancer. We do have other cats,but I miss my friend so much some days...
Enjoy yourself now,for you'll be a long time dead.

Smallie_Stalker

Sorry for your loss Rodney. Our pets become every bit a part of our family as the people in it and it is a cause to grieve when we lose them. Prayers for comfort for you and the family.
Dobyns Rods   Titan Tungsten   Abu Garcia  Berkley  Pflueger  Spiderwire

kadas

So sorry Rodney--they become part of the family

Oldfart9999

Thank you all!!! It's true, they do become a part of you and the family, I remember and miss all the ones the family had going back 70 years, all 13 of them, it never gets any easier saying goodbye!!
Rodney
Old Fishermen never die, their rods just go limp.