I hate to do this

Started by SteveTX, August 20, 2017, 11:06:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SteveTX

But I am cheap to some extent.  :(

I was looking to place a fairly small order at mister twister website and shipping is not great. (not just mister twister, folks shipping is expensive) Anyway I looked at the UB Sponsor Discount Codes page and mister twister is not listed.

I noticed the page was last updated September 22, 2016 and wondered if that was maybe before mister twister folks came on board. I didn't know when mister twister became a sponsor but thought it was kind a recent?

Anyway was just trying to see if there was a code to knock a little off the price. Might even be able to add another pack of something.  ;D

Lipripper

Nothing wrong with being frugal (fancy word for cheep  ~roflmao ) I'm not sure but I think Mr Twister has been a sponsor here longer than that but might not have a code for a discount. We will have to ask Mike about that one.

Kats Rule And Bass Drool.Viet Nam Vet

Smallie_Stalker

Final ruling does go to Mike, but as a staff member I am not aware of a discount from them.

(BTW, that don't mean squat cause I'm getting old  lo).
Dobyns Rods   Titan Tungsten   Abu Garcia  Berkley  Pflueger  Spiderwire

-Shawn-

I don't remember a formal Discount...

FlatsNBay

Looking over their website, I didn't see sizes listed for the Pocket Craw, Flipping Out or the Poc It Paddle Tail. Anybody know the size of each?

FlatsNBay

Never mind. I found the sizes listed after I downloaded their catalog.

Princeton_Man

That would be cool if they came up with one for us. I use the Swimsataion on my NuTech Crazyjigs. Of course, I'd buy 'em anyway.  :)
Stratos 285 XL Pro 150 Evinrude ETEC

Dobyns Rods - LSCR Club

Bud Kennedy

Me too.  Sometimes you gotta pay to play

Princeton_Man

Quote from: Bud Kennedy on August 20, 2017, 05:05:04 PM
Me too.  Sometimes you gotta pay to play

Discounts are great perks and I appreciate them as much as anyone but, Sponsoring us (helping keep UltimateBass online) is a perk in itself.

We pay to play regardless.  ~roflmao

Dobyns Rods - LSCR Club

LgMouthGambler

Im actually surprised that most sponsors of the site dont offer our members a discount. ?

<")))>{

My wife says she is gonna leave me if I go fishing one more time........lord how I will miss that woman.

SteveTX

Honestly I will purchase discount or not if its what I want. ;) As has been stated its the price we pay to play.  lo

However people have used coupons for as long as I have been alive and I have seen $20s and $50s saved by using them. :) I need 2 or 3 reels and if I could have saved $1 or $2 it would be a nice perk. I would add those funds to the jar for reels. Yes I budget I'm cheap that way.  ~shhh

I never feel a sponsor owes me or anyone anything and I didn't want it to come across as I expected it.  ~b~ I have yet to use any of the 6 discount opportunities listed and I have purchased from several of them. I just thought I would ask since I was placing a order.  ;D

Bud Kennedy

Steve here is a hint about Monster.  They do not have a site discount for UB but....After you make your first order they e mail you a discount code for future purchases + also there is a sign up bonus for their site if you choose.  Of course free shipping over $50.  They have been known during the holidays or special sales to have a free shipping option on all or special sales.  Always worth checking out.  I recently ordered a Dobyns rod from Monster and used my discount code and got free shipping.  Was a good deal the way I look at it.  Nothing wrong with looking to save some $. I too need some Mr. Twister stuff and since their distributor network is weak I order direct from Mr. Twister.  So I just suck it up an place my order.  I don't like the fact you have to order $100 worth of stuff to get free shipping from Mr. Twister. 

SteveTX

Thanks Bud I have no beef with them for not offering discounts.  ;D  And I appreciate the insight to Monster. 

Here is what got me to ask about a code. I have a minimum shipping of $8.95 there. I just look at that and wonder how much am I willing to spend on shipping? 50% 40% 30%? I mean it just seems stupid for me to pay 25% or more of my order out in shipping. UPS USPS and FedEx don't sponsor UB that I am aware of.   

I don't know how big of a order I can make before my base shipping goes up but I would have to have a order total of $35.80 and still pay 25% in shipping if it doesn't go up any. That just doesn't make sense to only get 75% of what I pay for.

I don't order a lot of plastic as a single guy I can fish a long time on $20 of plastics unless its Keitech. lo So I wont be making any $100 orders as I am no distributor and I already have a lot of plastic already. But I was willing to order some to try if it worked out it was somewhat reasonably priced by the time I got it.

I really wish there was a better way so shipping wasn't so bad. The product cost is certainly reasonable. I don't see any of their product here on the shelves. So I cant buy local. That leaves me looking to order a small 3,4, or 5 bag purchase that are just expensive with a $9 shipping fee. 

SFL BassHunter

Quote from: SteveTX on August 20, 2017, 10:23:13 PM
Thanks Bud I have no beef with them for not offering discounts.  ;D  And I appreciate the insight to Monster. 

Here is what got me to ask about a code. I have a minimum shipping of $8.95 there. I just look at that and wonder how much am I willing to spend on shipping? 50% 40% 30%? I mean it just seems stupid for me to pay 25% or more of my order out in shipping. UPS USPS and FedEx don't sponsor UB that I am aware of.   

I don't know how big of a order I can make before my base shipping goes up but I would have to have a order total of $35.80 and still pay 25% in shipping if it doesn't go up any. That just doesn't make sense to only get 75% of what I pay for.

I don't order a lot of plastic as a single guy I can fish a long time on $20 of plastics unless its Keitech. lo So I wont be making any $100 orders as I am no distributor and I already have a lot of plastic already. But I was willing to order some to try if it worked out it was somewhat reasonably priced by the time I got it.

I really wish there was a better way so shipping wasn't so bad. The product cost is certainly reasonable. I don't see any of their product here on the shelves. So I cant buy local. That leaves me looking to order a small 3,4, or 5 bag purchase that are just expensive with a $9 shipping fee.

One of the main reasons I buy so much from Academy is because you only need to spend 25 bucks to get free shipping.
Also their prices are usually better than everyone else to boot. Only down side is, they have limited brands. So many times I'll look for a comparable product from a brand they do sell. If there is none then I have no choice but to get it and pay the higher prices and the shipping if I really really want it.
Soft plastics for me do not fall into that category.

I don't think there is anything wrong with asking if there is a discount code. It's a good question actually.
PB: 6lbs 5oz / 24.25 inches.
Rods/Reels Dobyns, 13 Fishing, Cabelas Arachnid, Daiwa Tatula CT, Tatula SVTW, Tatula Tactical, Tatula Type R
Florida Bass Fishing

Princeton_Man

Quote from: LgMouthGambler on August 20, 2017, 08:28:26 PM
Im actually surprised that most sponsors of the site dont offer our members a discount. ?

<")))>{

Keep in mind that sponsors don't generally have a way of validating UB membership and anything posted in the open forums becomes public knowledge. For instance, NuTech's generous 10% discount code can be used by virtually anyone who finds it mentioned in a post here in Dock Talk through a Google search and then anyone it's then shared with. So while it starts out being for forum members, it can end up being used by folks who might not even know who we are.  Another purpose of those discount codes is that it tells the sponsors where their products are getting the best exposure.

Dobyns Rods - LSCR Club

Mike Cork

No Twister discount. But I'm working on him....  ~shade they give us a ton of product to giveaway already :-*

Fishing is more than just a hobby

Dobyns Rods - Monster Fishing Tackle
Cork's Reel Service

SteveTX

Quote from: Mike Cork on August 21, 2017, 11:55:51 AM
No Twister discount. But I'm working on him....  ~shade they give us a ton of product to giveaway already :-*
Not a problem at all. I appreciate they support the forum.

Lipripper

Steve nothing wrong with being Frugal I do it too and when money is tight we got to watch how we spend it

Kats Rule And Bass Drool.Viet Nam Vet

-Shawn-

Quote from: Mike Cork on August 21, 2017, 11:55:51 AM

~c~ ~c~ ~c~ ~c~

Smallie_Stalker

Quote from: Princeton_Man on August 21, 2017, 08:51:17 AM
Keep in mind that sponsors don't generally have a way of validating UB membership and anything posted in the open forums becomes public knowledge. For instance, NuTech's generous 10% discount code can be used by virtually anyone who finds it mentioned in a post here in Dock Talk through a Google search and then anyone it's then shared with. So while it starts out being for forum members, it can end up being used by folks who might not even know who we are.  Another purpose of those discount codes is that it tells the sponsors where their products are getting the best exposure.

Exactly.

Actually I think we are very fortunate in this area. Since I am not a member of any other fishing forums I can't comment there but I am a member of several tech related forums and none of them offer discounts from their sponsors.

IMO a company that is already supporting our site through sponsor dollars is in no way obligated to offer us any kind of discount at all, yet so many of them do. Add to that their great customer service and the fact that many of them give us FREE PRODUCT on a weekly basis for our contests I will be considering them first for my purchasing needs, discount or not.

Just my $.02
Dobyns Rods   Titan Tungsten   Abu Garcia  Berkley  Pflueger  Spiderwire