Spinning rod for a newbie girl

Started by Sandman7925, August 20, 2017, 01:10:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sandman7925

I need a recommendation for a spinning reel and rod for a girl to use. An all around setup that's not hard to use and won't frustrate her that will preform well enough. I'm 100% baitcast so I'm out of the spinning reel loop.
Also I need to know about a good line choice for the reel.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bud Kennedy

I think a lot of answers would depend upon on the user.  If you are talking about a beginner juvenile then I would suggest just going with an Okuma combo deal that you can get at Wal mart for under $75.  I bought a hand full of these for a function for kids a short time ago and they worked just fine.  If the kid is real young then perhaps something in a spin cast combo that is a simple one button user style.  If you are talking about someone like a spouse then perhaps you may want to consider a Lew's combo of some sort but they will go for about $125. for a combo.  Can you tell us more about  the person you intend on giving it to?  My wife is an experienced angler and she still uses a Lew's speed spool type and has it on an abu rod.  Don't remember the cost but it seems to satisfy her requirement.

Lipripper

Like Bud said tell us a little more about her so we can dial it in. ;D

Kats Rule And Bass Drool.Viet Nam Vet

Capt. BassinLou

The smaller sized pfleuger's spinning reels will be ideal, they are nice and won't bust the bank, and a rod that's under 6ft for better control and as far as line, 8-10 lb mono will be fine. It took me a while to learn this but the k.i.s.s. principle will go a VERY LONG way when it comes to your kids and fishing.

Msn26753

If it's a wife and your just trying to shut her up,  then I would grab one of the breast cancer awareness rods from Academy sports..  They always have them and usually are pink and black or pink and white..  I can't remember what rod and real they were but it lasted my wife pretty good while.  Of course she only fished 5 minutes out the day and facebooked and gripes the rest..  I'm just kidding,  yes I love my wife,  but I get tired of,  I'm hot,  put me in the sun so I can get a tan, it's hot,  I see fish everywhere,  why ain't you catching them?  Argggg... Lol ...

Lipripper

Quote from: Msn26753 on August 20, 2017, 02:10:07 PM
If it's a wife and your just trying to shut her up,  then I would grab one of the breast cancer awareness rods from Academy sports..  They always have them and usually are pink and black or pink and white..  I can't remember what rod and real they were but it lasted my wife pretty good while.  Of course she only fished 5 minutes out the day and facebooked and gripes the rest..  I'm just kidding,  yes I love my wife,  but I get tired of,  I'm hot,  put me in the sun so I can get a tan, it's hot,  I see fish everywhere,  why ain't you catching them?  Argggg... Lol ...
~roflmao ~roflmao You left out I need to the bathroom take me back to the dock.  ;D

Kats Rule And Bass Drool.Viet Nam Vet

Msn26753

Lol..  Yeah, and the,  slow down,  I'm scared,  I hate waves blah blah blah..  I try to tell her,  if we can get on plane,  the waves aren't as bad,... But nooo,  we're getting  beat to death running 4mph... Lol... 20mph is too fast... Even the fsh feel sorry for me...

Sorry.. For getting off topic... Lol... 
Seriously the academy $50 rod and reel combos work pretty good..  And they already have 8lb line if I'm not mistaken...  6ft and they had spinning and spincast..

Sandman7925

Quote from: Lipripper on August 20, 2017, 01:44:04 PM
Like Bud said tell us a little more about her so we can dial it in. ;D

She's an adult. Weighs about 110lbs wet. Only experience with fishing was a jigging rod fishing for sacalait.

Sandman7925

Quote from: Msn26753 on August 20, 2017, 02:10:07 PM
I see fish everywhere,  why ain't you catching them?  Argggg... Lol ...

God I hate that.

Smallie_Stalker

Quote from: Sandman7925 on August 20, 2017, 03:02:40 PM
She's an adult. Weighs about 110lbs wet. Only experience with fishing was a jigging rod fishing for sacalait.

I'm with Lou on the Pflueger reels. A Trion or a President model in the 30 or 35 size. Since she is a grown woman I might suggest a rod that is a little longer say 6' 6" - 7'.  Berkley Trilene XL mono is very limp and will cast well with no memory problems and no huge tangles of line coming off the reel.  :)
Dobyns Rods   Titan Tungsten   Abu Garcia  Berkley  Pflueger  Spiderwire

j102

I would get her a 3000 size reel on a Medium or MH rod, so if she likes fishing it's a setup to use in many situations.
A 3000 Penn Battle II or a Pflueger spinning reel on an Ugly Stik Medium or MH rod. That would be a setup you can also use if she ended up not liking the sport.

Msn26753

Quote from: Sandman7925 on August 20, 2017, 03:04:22 PM
God I hate that.

It's the worst..  My wife had her line hanging off the back while I was trolling banks..  Guess what..  She freaking caught a white perch..  Then puts her pole up..  Just did it to prove she should catch one...  I caught 0.... Of course I'm bass fishing,  but still...  She hasn't picked up the pole since.. 

SFL BassHunter

Right now the Pfluger presidents are 39.99 or 49.99. If you get from Dicks, they have a 10 dollar mail in rebate.
It is a step up from the Trion and at that price that is what I would get.
If not then the Trion is a fantastic little reel. I've had one for 3 years, have never cleaned it and it still works. For a rod, I would go with a Berkley Lightning Rod. They aren't expensive and they are well built.
If you prefer a lighter rod, then the BPS carbonlites are really good very lightweight rods that you can hold all day without getting tired. They are in the 90-100 dollar range.
PB: 6lbs 5oz / 24.25 inches.
Rods/Reels Dobyns, 13 Fishing, Cabelas Arachnid, Daiwa Tatula CT, Tatula SVTW, Tatula Tactical, Tatula Type R
Florida Bass Fishing

Sandman7925

Think I decided on a pfluger. I added it to my cart online. I add stuff to my cart for a couple weeks then make one big purchase.

SFL BassHunter

Quote from: Sandman7925 on August 20, 2017, 07:55:25 PM
Think I decided on a pfluger. I added it to my cart online. I add stuff to my cart for a couple weeks then make one big purchase.

Which one did you pick?
PB: 6lbs 5oz / 24.25 inches.
Rods/Reels Dobyns, 13 Fishing, Cabelas Arachnid, Daiwa Tatula CT, Tatula SVTW, Tatula Tactical, Tatula Type R
Florida Bass Fishing

Sandman7925

Quote from: rickdelprado on August 21, 2017, 08:43:48 AM
Which one did you pick?

The president

cport

The lady president is a good choice if she's into the whole pink color thing, and you can pair it with a pink accented ugly stick

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk

11lb 2 oz PB 🎣

thebassingirl

As a newbie girl myself, I can honestly say that I ended up falling in love with the Zebco Z03 reel, and have had zero issues with it. I take a lot of crap from 'real' anglers when they see me using it, but it brings in the big bass just as well as any of the others out there, without me spending any time trying to untangle a birds nest from backlash. The Zebcos of today are not like those from your childhood, trust me. If you want her to enjoy her time on the water, and get her interested in fishing, make it as low-maintenance for her as you can.
This ain't your daddy's Zebco

Smallie_Stalker

Quote from: thebassingirl on September 20, 2017, 09:49:41 AM
As a newbie girl myself, I can honestly say that I ended up falling in love with the Zebco Z03 reel, and have had zero issues with it. I take a lot of crap from 'real' anglers when they see me using it, but it brings in the big bass just as well as any of the others out there, without me spending any time trying to untangle a birds nest from backlash. The Zebcos of today are not like those from your childhood, trust me. If you want her to enjoy her time on the water, and get her interested in fishing, make it as low-maintenance for her as you can.

Great advice!!!  ~c~

Back in my tourney fishing days there was a guy in one of the clubs I fished with who fished with Zebco spincast reels exclusively. He put the hurt on the "real" anglers in the club on a regular basis and they eventually stopped making fun of him. Pretty tough to make fun of someone's gear when they keep taking your money using that gear.  ~shade

Dobyns Rods   Titan Tungsten   Abu Garcia  Berkley  Pflueger  Spiderwire

thebassingirl

Quote from: Smallie_Stalker on September 20, 2017, 04:56:27 PM
Pretty tough to make fun of someone's gear when they keep taking your money using that gear.  ~shade

That's exactly what I hope to eventually prove to all the nay-sayers!  ;D
This ain't your daddy's Zebco