Best Texas rig rod

Started by bhodge, August 20, 2017, 09:13:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bhodge

I have many Dobyns rods and still have not found the perfect Texas rig worming rod.
So let's hear from you all as to what you think.

Let's keep it in the extreme and champion line.

Thanks for you input

zippyduck

The 744 is excellent. The extra fast action buries the hook.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

3rd place 2017 UB IBASS 377.75"
AOY 2018 IBASS Cool Casters  369.00"
AOY 2019 IBASS Cool Casters  362.50"

bobsquatch13

Since I prefer all plastics on spinning outfits I use 2 Dobyns Extreme HP 764SF (rec. both this year) for all Texas rigging short of extreme weeds & really heavy cover, tulles, hyacinth, etc. where I have a custom heavy duty spinning rod by LSCR which is great for all heavy cover fishing, also a 7' 6" rod. Those Extreme 764SF rods I have been using for years now with Dobyns older models and really like them but again I fish spinning outfits over 90 % of my fishing anyway. I also use them for light and heavy duty drop shot, split shot, wacky rig and on and on. Have caught with no problems large mouth over 10# with that model.

Mike Cork

Quote from: bhodge on August 20, 2017, 09:13:40 PM
I ahve many Dobyns rods and still have not found the perfect Texas tig worming rod.
So let's hear from you all as to what you think.

Let's keep it in the extreme and champion line.

Thanks for you input

I use a 744 for anything less than 3/8 and 3/8 to 3/4 I use a 745

We can help dial you in to the perfect one if you let us know what you have used so far and what didn't you like?

Fishing is more than just a hobby

Dobyns Rods - Monster Fishing Tackle
Cork's Reel Service

bhodge

Thank you for the input.

Currently I have in the Champion line: 734,735,736 and 744.  in the extremes i have 743 and 795 flip.
I traded or sold the 744 and 745 HP, felt to stiff for me
In spinning I have 762 extreme and 743 extreme,

I should say that I may not of given the 744 HP a fair test.

I want a soft tip and them jumps to heavy backbone.  I may need another 744 Champion XP jig rod.  seem to favor it the most

Lastly, other than the Flipping stick I seem to prefer the old extremes over the new HP's in feel,
Not 100% sure why? I guess when I have in my hand I will know what I want.

Thanks all for the input. Need more lol

LgMouthGambler

Have you tried maybe a 733? or 703?
My wife says she is gonna leave me if I go fishing one more time........lord how I will miss that woman.

Mike Cork

It sounds like the 744 HP might fit the bill. The first thing that hit me with the "soft tip to heavy back bone"
is the Sierra Series, it's not as sensitive as the XP or HP lines but a 734 would get the action you're looking for I think.

I'll defer to Gary for more, he should be along before to long.

Fishing is more than just a hobby

Dobyns Rods - Monster Fishing Tackle
Cork's Reel Service

bhodge

To LMG.  Yes I broke the 733 Champion on a Spook fish. Got the 743 as a replacement in the old extreme series.  Never owned any of the 70's  I also prefer full handles, so models are not available.

Thanks Mike, And do hope to get the masters thoughts as well.

Gary Dobyns

bhodge,

I assume you're talking bigger Texas rigged worms. If so I'd recommend the same as you're using for jigs. The Champ 744C is excellent choice...also a Champ 735C is excellent choice. I personally use the 735C. I just have love affair with this model and was using it before I made the 744C models. Hope this helps.

THX!!!!!!

FLO GROWN

Quote from: Gary Dobyns on August 23, 2017, 01:18:34 PM
bhodge,

I assume you're talking bigger Texas rigged worms. If so I'd recommend the same as you're using for jigs. The Champ 744C is excellent choice...also a Champ 735C is excellent choice. I personally use the 735C. I just have love affair with this model and was using it before I made the 744C models. Hope this helps.

THX!!!!!!
I just have the fury 735c what a great rod so diverse I've used it frogging, pitching/flipping,Texas rigged worms,jigs,love that rod!Dx795 is going to be ordered soon just gotta figure out what I'm gonna dedicate the 735 too many choices

"Tight lines"

Dam0007

Texas rigged worms like 7" curly tails and stick baits DC 702 & 703. I typically throw smaller creature baits on the DX 743. DC 734 is also great in a pinch. The DXHP 743 has a faster tip than the original DX... As for T Rigged baits like beavers and brush hogs DX HP 795 any day of the week!!!
MLF Angler - Dobyns Rods, Reynolds Marine, Phoenix Boats, Woo! Tungsten, Berkley Fishing, Rod Glove, Siebert Outdoors, Power Pole, Costa

IG: @dam0007bass

SteveTX

QuoteI want a soft tip and them jumps to heavy backbone.
I think the DX 784C has a lot of the action you are describing. That little extra length to me creates that softer tip but the backbone really comes in fast. You cant beat it when trying to get that line picked up and a nice hook penetration. If a longer rod doesn't bother you I think you will really like it. I think it is a really sensitive nice worm rod.