Ultimate Bass ULTIMATE BASS | BASS FISHING CLASSIFIED ADS | CONTACT US    

Bass Fishing information about bass boats, tackle, fishing rods, baitcasters and other reels all about bass fishing.
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Tapatalk should be back up. Please report issues -->here<--. Thank you!

Page Down
FREE TACKLE EVERY WEEK

Bass Anglers Magazine - The Best bass fishing magazine on the rack! Subscribe Today and Catch More Bass

NuTech Lures

Doc Irv Custom Baits

Life Vantage

Get Bit Outdoors

Fishing Frenzy Tackle

Bass Anglers Magazine - The Best bass fishing magazine on the rack! Subscribe Today and Catch More Bass

Bass Boats For Sale Free Classified Ads

Laurie Cork
Ph. (318)347-7380
You can Email Me Here

Mike Cork
Ph. (318)560-9827

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Tackle Hoarder  (Read 479 times)

Bud Kennedy

• Charter Member
  • PFD's and KILL SWITCHES SAVE LIVES
Tackle Hoarder
« on: August 22, 2017, 09:43:46 AM »

I guess it may be somewhat true that I am a tackle hoarder.  Although this may somewhat true I like to think of myself not as a hoarder but a collector of fishing products.  There, that sounds a whole lot better.

It is indeed true that I have products in my stash that are over 60 years old.  These products may have retired from service but they still hold a place of honor in my collection.  They speak to me and remind me of times gone by and how their acquisition took place.  Then I have all of my newer stuff that promises fish catching abilities beyond my wildest imagination.  Us tackle collectors tend to think of our products as milestones in our life.  It all means a lot to our psyche and comforts us in our hours of need.  As I have aged, the trips to the water are becoming somewhat less than in the past.  While this is unfortunate, I still have my collection to entertain my fishing fantasies.

I know many of you speak about downsizing your tackle resources.  Well let me tell you something.  The only purpose of downsizing is to make room for more stuff.  If you think otherwise then you are just flat wrong.  Donít be bullied into trimming your collection just because you think you donít use it enough.  Can you believe that just yesterday, my wife said you sure have a lot of rodsĒ.   Comments of this nature are blasphemous and donít deserve to be acknowledged.

Perhaps at this moment, you consider yourself an angler.  You fish a lot and may even be a tournament person.  Well then you need all of your tackle.  Soon enough you will one day be more of a collector than an angler.  I just wanted to write this to let you know that collecting is ok.  It is good for your soul.  Donít pay attention to anyone who suggests otherwise.  Today, I am not going fishing but I am going to play with my brand new Dobyns Rod with my brand new Daiwa reel.  Even though they have not yet been to the water they are already providing hours of fun and entertainment and are making their presence felt in the collective.

Now as a collector you have a responsibility to go out and buy more stuff.  You have to buy stuff and store it away in such a manner that you may even forget you that you even have it.  Thatís a good thing because when you find it again it is just like seeing an old friend or perhaps it is just like getting something new all over again.  Although this post is a bit of a tongue in cheek comment it does ring true for many of us.

Kris

• Ol' Skool
  • Charter Member
Re: Tackle Hoarder
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2017, 10:56:05 AM »

I agree Bud!  I have gone from being an active tournament angler to a sometimes angler but full-time collector,  My collection is a bit newer than yours but I still have many things that are still usable, I do still use them once in awhile, that are from back in the 90s.  My collection is 42 Plano style 3600 boxes.  Normally when I go fishing I take almost 20 of them with me.  I have gotten to the point that I am starting to pare it down by mixing baits in boxes like topwater and pad baits, squarebill w/shallow and medium divers, jerkbaits w/Long As and such. I do keep full boxes of somethings like jigs w/trailers, swimjigs w/trailers, Deep diving crankbaits, etc.
I have also changed out my whole rod collection over the past two years and pared it down a little
Keep up the good work on your end.   
Reservoir fishing in MD
Ouachita 16' Model B,Minn Kota, Lowrance, Raymarine
Retired, Vietnam Vet 11th ACR 68/69, Ham Radio Operator

SteveTX

• Charter Member
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2017, 11:48:34 AM »

42 Plano style 3600 boxes.  Normally when I go fishing I take almost 20 of them with me. 
:shocking:  lo ~roflmao

I thought I was the only one. I have three 18 quart tubs full of plastics and 5 of the 3700 trays and 4 of the 3701 trays. Not to mention several old tackle boxes packed full of unused tackle. I usually have one large tackle bag and 2 of the 18 quart totes on my boat. I love fishing plastics so I take way more than I will ever use but I think my fishing partners like it because its like digging in a tackle store clearance bin for them. lo 

I only have 4 Spinning setups and 12 bait casting. Considering I have only 2 hands, and I don't loan my bait casting ones out, I think I have horded enough to last awhile. But I do have a new rod due here Friday ;D (my tracking number went to working last night)  ~c~ And that makes me need 3 more reels so all my rods have reels.  :( Then I can stop at 15 baitcasters  ~shade

Do you guys do that? For some reason it bothers me to have rods and not enough reels for them all. Or reels and no rods for them.  lo

As far as older lures and tackle saved for some sort of nostalgia... nope. I do have a spot for those that serve me well. Its on the end of my line till its lost. lo Most of the old ones still hanging around were junk and didn't catch anything so they didn't get fished till they were lost.   

ebbc

• Smallmouth
« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2017, 11:49:08 AM »

AMEN
My collection dates back to 1907. Will I use them, no but I often wonder how many big fish they have seen in their lifetime.

Kris

• Ol' Skool
  • Charter Member
« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2017, 12:10:09 PM »

I only have 4 Spinning setups and 12 bait casting. Considering I have only 2 hands, and I don't loan my bait casting ones out, I think I have horded enough to last awhile. But I do have a new rod due here Friday ;D (my tracking number went to working last night)  ~c~ And that makes me need 3 more reels so all my rods have reels.  :( Then I can stop at 15 baitcasters  ~shade

Do you guys do that? For some reason it bothers me to have rods and not enough reels for them all. Or reels and no rods for them.  lo

As far as older lures and tackle saved for some sort of nostalgia... nope. I do have a spot for those that serve me well. Its on the end of my line till its lost. lo Most of the old ones still hanging around were junk and didn't catch anything so they didn't get fished till they were lost.
Congratulations on the new rod, hope it is a good one.  With reels for rods, I am just the opposite.  I need to have spare reels for baitcasters and spinning rods.  For example, I have a Daiwa Capricorn baitcaster that has at least one bad bearing in the handle. So I need to have a spare to cover it while I am getting it repaired.  I actually have two spares for each.  Even though I never take all my rods with me on a fishing trip.
Reservoir fishing in MD
Ouachita 16' Model B,Minn Kota, Lowrance, Raymarine
Retired, Vietnam Vet 11th ACR 68/69, Ham Radio Operator

cortman

• Charter Member
  • Obsessive Fisherman
« Reply #5 on: August 22, 2017, 03:07:10 PM »

For me it's roughly one in, one out. I just recently sold pretty much all my squarebill cranks, I had a whole box full of miscellaneous random cranks I never used and had no confidence in that I had picked up here and there. Sold them and bought a bunch of Megabass, Ima, and Mann's. Cranks I use and know they work.
I been doing some of that recently, paring down the collection and replacing miscellaneous stuff with stuff I will actually use. Mine's a working collection, I guess.

Oldfart9999

• Ultimate Basser
  • Baby Bass
« Reply #6 on: August 22, 2017, 07:49:00 PM »

So the answer to this post is; LONG LIVE THE MONKEY!!!
Rodney
Old Fishermen never die, their rods just go limp.

zippyduck

• Charter Member
  • Daiwa, LSCR, Dobyns, Nutech, Keitech, Yamamoto
« Reply #7 on: August 22, 2017, 08:16:13 PM »

So the answer to this post is; LONG LIVE THE MONKEY!!!
Rodney

Amen Brother. May he live long after I'm gone. He keeps us on public waters. That is one tax I don't mind paying.
If you need me I'm outdoors.

Terry G

• Charter Member
  • Baby Bass
« Reply #8 on: August 23, 2017, 07:25:52 AM »

My wife read & copied this and sent it to her Quilting friends.
These ladies have the same STASH problems with fabric as we have with the
BAIT MONKEY

Oldfart9999

• Ultimate Basser
  • Baby Bass
« Reply #9 on: August 24, 2017, 05:53:12 AM »

By the way Bud, we are not hoarders, we are keepers of history! ;D :) lo lo
Rodney
Old Fishermen never die, their rods just go limp.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Monster Fishing Tactle is the best place to buy your tackle needs Check them out online

When Bass Fishing Is More than Just a Hobby - Dobyns Rods

The most innovative and technologically advanced fishing rod blanks on the planet

Get Chomped at Mega Chomp Lure Company and Get The Best Baits for your Money

QUICK LINKS
UB Home
Main Forum
Welcome
Dock Talk
Techniques
Rods and Reels
Tackle Box
Catch of the Day
UB Contests
Tips and Ideas
Sponsor Connection
Fishing Reports
Charter Members Only
Bass Fishing Classified Ads
Boats 4 Sale

BECOME A
CHARTER MEMBER
SUPPORT UB

Find out about the contests before everyone else and know about the latest news first

Page Up

Page created in 0.067 seconds with 34 queries.