What is it about boat speed that is so important

Started by Pacific NW Ron, August 22, 2017, 09:44:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Pacific NW Ron

I read a lot of posts, not only on UB but other places as well where it seems many bass anglers most important factor when purchasing a boat is "How fast will it go"?  Any time I have purchased a new boat, only three in my lifetime, speed has never been a factory in making the decision.  I've had slow boats and fairly fast boats and I can't say speed caught any more fish.  If I ever purchase another one speed will not be a factor either.   In fact speed wouldn't even be an issue.  As long as it gets on plane reasonably quick and gets me there I'm happy. 
What is it about boat speed that's "So Important" to you guys?   There are many other factors in a boat to consider.  Why is everyone in such a hurry.   
What am I missing??
Ron
Enjoying retirement in the great Pacific Northwest.  I've turned into a fair weather angler.  Why do it today when I can do it tomorrow?

LgMouthGambler

I dont care about speed, but if you are Tx fishing and need to make a run I can see where it may play a factor. I personally want a Skeeter, if I ever decide to get a glass boat. I just wanna be able to do 360s on the water!  ~bb

~beer~
My wife says she is gonna leave me if I go fishing one more time........lord how I will miss that woman.

basss

Its about time on water fishing.  The faster you get to the fishing hole the more time you will have fishing.  Not the biggest concern if you're fishing smaller lakes or are fishing recreationally, but if you have miles to go to get to where you're fishing; it matters.

For example, I fished Toho this weekend.  It is about 10 miles long.  At the end of it there are canals that connect to other lakes.  From the "start" of Toho to Lake Gentry, the farthest lake, it would be about 20 miles or so.  Covering that amount of water in a slower boat, like mine, can take over an hour.  If you're a guide or fishing in tournaments, you do not have 2 hours of time to spend getting there vs. fishing.

1995 Gheenoe Highsider
2018 12' Bote HD Paddleboard

Princeton_Man

Both good answers! ~c~

More MPH means more time to fish.

Leisurely rides on the water can be relaxin' but, you can easily spend more time getting to and from a good spot than actually fishing it.

It's an even bigger deal for tournaments when you want to fish the best places first and have to be back by weigh-in time or loose everything you've worked all day for. 
Stratos 285 XL Pro 150 Evinrude ETEC

Dobyns Rods - LSCR Club

Kris

I have definitely owned faster and slower boats over the years.  That would be a total of 10 over my lifetime from tidal/freshwater to saltwater and back to tidal/freshwater.
I think the thing that made the most sense to me, back in the day, was this:

Only 10% of water can produce fish large enough to win, place or show in a tournament.  The best idea is to get there first.

Maybe not 100% true but it made sense to me back in the day.
Reservoir fishing in MD, Vietnam Vet, Retired
Ouachita 16' Model B, Minn Kota, Lowrance, Raymarine
Moderator - Maryland Fishing Reports and Chat

podcast

Time is money right?!

Comes in very handy to beat out the guy to a spot at the start of a tourney. As mentioned, big lakes or chain of lakes suck to navigate with a jon boat and a 15hp. I hate having to waste time traveling to and from spots.

Having said that, my typical fishing excursion doesn't require speed. My rig runs at 40mph and that'll get me there in most cases fast enough. When it came to purchasing my duck hunting boat, speed was of primary importance. Needing to keep my shallow drive on step through thick crap and beat the next guy to a spot I plan to sit at all day is essential. Nothing worse than seeing someone pass you by only to find out that's the guy that's sitting in the spot when you pull up.......

Sent from my LGUS997 using Tapatalk

-Shawn-

Speed is a big Issue if you fish Tournaments.  Especially if your fishing bigger lakes like Rayburn or Toledo or anywhere from the Sabine to the atchafalaya.

If you're first spot is 30 miles from the ramp that 10 minutes of fishing time you gain from a fast boat can be the difference in winning and not getting a check.

It's all about time Management. I want my time without hooks in the water to be short as possible

topdsm0138

And here I sit reading about your high hp bass boats while I putt around with a 9.9 Evenrude on my V-hull. Lmao.

Sent from my SM-J700P using Tapatalk

"I'm a simple man, with simple pleasures." -Trevor Belmont

Kris

Quote from: topdsm0138 on August 22, 2017, 12:53:14 PM
And here I sit reading about your high hp bass boats while I putt around with a 9.9 Evenrude on my V-hull. Lmao.

At present mine is worse.  Stern motor for me presently is a 24v Minn Kota Traxxis 70 lb thrust electric.  I am presently working on a Ranger 360V but it will need a lot more time and money.
Reservoir fishing in MD, Vietnam Vet, Retired
Ouachita 16' Model B, Minn Kota, Lowrance, Raymarine
Moderator - Maryland Fishing Reports and Chat

LgMouthGambler

Quote from: topdsm0138 on August 22, 2017, 12:53:14 PM

9.9? I got you beat. Try a 5hp 4 stroke on a Semi V Jon. Tops out at 15mph with just me and my gear.  :surrender:

Does burn 1/2 gal/hr at WOT. So thats a plus.  lo
My wife says she is gonna leave me if I go fishing one more time........lord how I will miss that woman.

topdsm0138

Quote from: Kris on August 22, 2017, 01:34:00 PM
At present mine is worse.  Stern motor for me presently is a 24v Minn Kota Traxxis 70 lb thrust electric.  I am presently working on a Ranger 360V but it will need a lot more time and money.
Quote from: LgMouthGambler on August 22, 2017, 01:40:45 PM
9.9? I got you beat. Try a 5hp 4 stroke on a Semi V Jon. Tops out at 15mph with just me and my gear.  :surrender:

Does burn 1/2 gal/hr at WOT. So thats a plus.  lo
We don't got to be fast, have the most expensive brand or the all the bells and whistles. Just as long as it gets us to and from our favorite fishing holes safely. That's just my take. I can understand having a "floating corvette" if we were pro tourney guys after a big payout, but most of us are not.

LgMouthGambler

Quote from: topdsm0138 on August 22, 2017, 01:45:05 PM
We don't got to be fast, have the most expensive brand or the all the bells and whistles. Just as long as it gets us to and from our favorite fishing holes safely. That's just my take. I can understand having a "floating corvette" if we were pro tourney guys after a big payout, but most of us are not.

I leave a lot of "floating Corvettes" behind when I slip away into the skinnies looking for quiet fishing spots.  lo

topdsm0138

Quote from: LgMouthGambler on August 22, 2017, 01:46:31 PM
I leave a lot of "floating Corvettes" behind when I slip away into the skinnies looking for quiet fishing spots.  lo
I love it when people ask, "where did you fish?" then after you tell them they say "There's no way you can make it back there, it's too thick or shallow!" Challenge accepted! Lol. My grandad and great uncles taught me a lot about the Glades and S Fl that I still use today, and hope to pass on the info to my son as well.

-Shawn-

I think a lot of it depends on what part of the country your in.  Outside of the TVA lakes when your in the eastern side of the country your not likely to be making 30-40 mile runs.
Where as other parts it's kind of normal.

Take Falcon for instance if your tournament is launching out of the state park ramp and your fish are up the river in early spring then your running 40 miles.  Or like right now when the state park ramp is closed and your launching from town it's 18-20 miles to the damn
16 to big tiger and that's where you have to be to have a shot right now.

Bud Kennedy

I personally like to have some speed available when I want it.  I don't drive fast but am comforted to know I can when or if I want to.   The whole boat deal is about the conditions you fish and where you want to fish.  You just have to accept the limitations with any of them.  If a putt putt makes you happy then you are good to go.  Not all folks feel that way.  Our waterways are not restricted in SC we can use what we want where we want and I realize that is not always true in other parts of the country.  The other thing to consider that some boats are far more safe than others.  Our Fiberglass boats are a stable platform that is especially important to us older folks.

-Shawn-

topdsm0138

Quote from: Bud Kennedy on August 22, 2017, 01:58:50 PM
I personally like to have some speed available when I want it.  I don't drive fast but am comforted to know I can when or if I want to.   The whole boat deal is about the conditions you fish and where you want to fish.  You just have to accept the limitations with any of them.  If a putt putt makes you happy then you are good to go.  Not all folks feel that way.  Our waterways are not restricted in SC we can use what we want where we want and I realize that is not always true in other parts of the country.  The other thing to consider that some boats are far more safe than others.  Our Fiberglass boats are a stable platform that is especially important to us older folks.
I'll agree with you and drink to that. It is about what you need for your fishing style/location.

Wizard

Faster boats became important under the older tournament rules. In the day, the angler who got to a spot first, owned it until he left. If you intruded, you were disqualified or someone pounded on you. Speed became very important. It led to a lot of controversy. With a 150 hp. limit, people looked for ways to cheat. At the time, many manufacturers made 175 hp. motors using a bored out block for a 150. The cowlings were the same so anglers would put a 150 hp. cowling on a 175 hp. motor.  Any and every way was used to gain an advantage.

zippyduck

Many of our better lakes are limited to 20hp but many cheaters have 30hp motors with lower stickers on them. We have a dealership that puts 9.9hp stickers and serial numbers on 30hps.

I can't compete with my 15hp kicker pushing my deep-v with the 60hp still on the boat.
3rd place 2017 UB IBASS 377.75"
AOY 2018 IBASS Cool Casters  369.00"
AOY 2019 IBASS Cool Casters  362.50"

kadas

Quote from: Bud Kennedy on August 22, 2017, 01:58:50 PM
Totally agree with you Bud--am not much into speed anymore--do not Tourney fish any more but a big fiberglass boat sure makes the fishing day much more enjoyable to me as far as having a big stable platform to fish from.

Oldfart9999

For the txs on some of our waters a big fast boat is a must, Erie and the St. Lawrence can mean 100 mile run, Champlain can be a 70 mile run. If I were to fish txs on those waters I would want the fastest and biggest boat money can buy, Cayuga with a south wind can put up 8 and 9 foot waves that can be scary. Local txs on the larger Finger Lakes and several rivers can get hairy in high winds so the largest you can afford is good.
The good news is there are a number of smaller waters for clubs to hold txs on, unfortunately most that fish these txs have bass boats and that can put the tin boat users at a disadvantage.
Rodney
Old Fishermen never die, their rods just go limp.

merc1997

back in the day, i always figured that if the bass were not biting, you could always go boat racing ~roflmao.

i've won a few bucks at that also.

the one thing about speed is that the more you can get out of your rig, it equates into fuel mileage.

bo
On Heaven's Lake

ʇuǝɹq™

Princeton_Man

Stratos 285 XL Pro 150 Evinrude ETEC

Dobyns Rods - LSCR Club

merc1997

Quote from: ʇuǝɹq™ on August 23, 2017, 11:01:51 AM
Because we are men and we like to go fast.
you need to take a look around while driving.  most of the fast crazy drivers are women. ~roflmao

bo
On Heaven's Lake