and still we need reminders

Started by Oldfart9999, August 23, 2017, 04:26:27 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Oldfart9999

I hit the water this morning after a major cold front moved in, with all the weather we've had the grass is screwy but off I go with no idea what to expect. I know this lake fairly well and don't have to work hard to put fish in the boat. Except today, went in close minded and paid the price, thought I could force feed them with one of 3 baits, the bass had other ideas and they won, I zeroed! :( :P Instead of experimenting and trying to think my way through high water and a cold front with building wind I just kept doing what wasn't working. :bang :bang :bang
THINK!! EXPERIMENT!! OPEN YOUR MIND!! YOUR MIND IS YOUR MOST IMPORTANT TOOL ON THE WATER!!
Geez, you'd think at my age I'd finally know that, dumb, dumb, dumb. :bang :bang :bang
Rodney
Old Fishermen never die, their rods just go limp.

Lipripper

Kats Rule And Bass Drool.Viet Nam Vet

Donald Garner

Lip, you are the man.  I got a few of those hanging up around here.  Rodney I have the same problem when I go out also.  I want to force feed'm  ~b~ ~b~
Belton Texas part of God's Country
Stratos 285 Pro XL Yamaha 150 VMax; Lowrance Hook 7 Electronics; Minn Kota Foretrex Trolling Motor

G3 1548 Alwed Jon boat Yamaha 25hp outboard 

Mike Cork

It's hard to break out of the preconceived plan. For me a failed plan can turn into determination and then ultimate failure.

It's all good, a day on the water is awesome for someone who just had shoulder surgery  ~c~

Fishing is more than just a hobby

Dobyns Rods - Monster Fishing Tackle
Cork's Reel Service

cortman

I face the same thing, I will stick with the baits I have tied on long past the point when I should have tried something else. It takes a mental reset sometimes.

HoffDaddy

Great post...... I think we all get in that mindset sometimes.. Thanks for the reminder...
Bass man by day and catfishman by night.....

FATFLATTIE

I did the same thing in my tournament last weekend. Kept telling myself that "eventually they will bite the buzz bait". Well one did haha! I did manage to get 2 more on a spinnerbait. I also got caught up in fishing little ditches with water flowing out of them and just kept fishing one after another without much success instead of trying different types of areas. Fished one small patch of gator weed with the punch rig at the end and lost a 3lber....shoulda looked for grass earlier. I did the same thing in my last tournament on that stretch of river and told myself before I wouldn't get stuck in that same position again....and I did exactly what I said I wouldn't do haha! Epic fail. At least my partner caught enough fish for us to fill out a limit and not get completely embarrassed!
Life's short, fish hard.

coldfront

Quote from: Mike Cork on August 23, 2017, 09:21:08 PM
It's hard to break out of the preconceived plan. For me a failed plan can turn into determination and then ultimate failure.

It's all good, a day on the water is awesome for someone who just had shoulder surgery  ~c~

Swear MIke, sounds like you need a 'frequent flyer' reward system for hospital work...   :shocking:

there are just some days when they don't even really want to take live bait...  been there, done that a few times too...   

Wizard

Try these when the fishing is tough and the livewell is empty.

1) Set a time limit on your preconceived pattern. Mine is 30 minutes.
2) Leave an area if no fish within 30 minutes.
3) Set a  time limit for every lure.
4) If fishing down a slope, try fishing up the slope.
5) Fish areas with forage nearby and not because the spot "looks" good.
6) Recheck the activity level. On large impoundments it changes through the lake.

7a) Call out "Here fishy, fishy, fishy".
7b) Call bo!
7c) Go home; open beer; cry in beer.

Wizard

SFL BassHunter

Quote from: Wizard on August 25, 2017, 10:41:47 AM
Try these when the fishing is tough and the livewell is empty.

1) Set a time limit on your preconceived pattern. Mine is 30 minutes.
2) Leave an area if no fish within 30 minutes.
3) Set a  time limit for every lure.
4) If fishing down a slope, try fishing up the slope.
5) Fish areas with forage nearby and not because the spot "looks" good.
6) Recheck the activity level. On large impoundments it changes through the lake.

7a) Call out "Here fishy, fishy, fishy".
7b) Call bo!
7c) Go home; open beer; cry in beer.

Wizard

I like to start with 7a) almost from the very start.
PB: 6lbs 5oz / 24.25 inches.
Rods/Reels Dobyns, 13 Fishing, Cabelas Arachnid, Daiwa Tatula CT, Tatula SVTW, Tatula Tactical, Tatula Type R
Florida Bass Fishing

Kris

I have been blaming poor fishing days on the weather here in Maryland. Storm after Storm, Front after Front.  Who knows, I might even be right.  There have been days that have been good so it hasn't been a complete loss.
When I go to a new body of water I already have my preconceived notion of what will make them bite.  I will try my idea first in an area and always follow it up with something else.  Like start with a crankbait and follow up with a TR worm or Wacky Worm.  One of most successful follow ups in blow downs is a crayfish, jig or Baby Rage Craw.  I guess I try several different presentations with different lures and move on in about 45 minutes.  Off to the next area and start all over again unless the fish have told me what they want to see.  If not, I may even be switching out lures for other choices.
Most times I have six rods in the boat for me.  Always a combination of baitcasters and spinning equipment.  For tomorrow I have six rods, three bc and three spinning.  The spinning rods are a 1/2 ounce Rattletrap, Wacky Worm and an 1/8 ounce jig head for swimming a worm.  Baitcasters are a 3/4 ounce Red eye shad, TR worm and a Bitsy Jig which will have a Baby Rage Craw trailer.  I will start out above and switch out as necessary.  BTW, I have close to 20 Plano 3600 boxes in the boat for any changes I want to make.  Most times I could get away with 5 boxes but the biggest question is, which 5?
Reservoir fishing in MD, Vietnam Vet, Retired
Ouachita 16' Model B, Minn Kota, Lowrance, Raymarine
Moderator - Maryland Fishing Reports and Chat

Wizard

If you can't get bites on  jig worm, you might as well go home.

Oldfart9999

Quote from: Wizard on August 25, 2017, 02:33:09 PM
If you can't get bites on  jig worm, you might as well go home.
That's what I did!!! lo :'( :'(
Rodney
Old Fishermen never die, their rods just go limp.

coldfront

out yesterday on one of those 'less pressured' lakes and spent the first couple hours tossing what they wanted last time, what should have been working.  Familiar story?   ;D

on water at 6:30...thought about calling it a day at 10... kept slinging, moving, watching, paying attention.

at 11, while underway with the big motor, saw some action in/around a weedbed.  shut down a ways off and eased up...

put on a summer stable (zoom mag II in blue fleck)... tossed up to the edge of the weedline... 'tick'... there she was.  Picked up a few more working about a 50 yard stretch... kept seeing them chasing inside the weedbed... so tossed the frog.  nothing.  no sniffs.  just nothing.

reached into the box and grabbed a packet of zoom speed worms.  rigged weightless with my standard glass bead ahead... tossed on the mat (these were not 'cheese' heavy, but pretty 'watery') and worked it along until it got to the holes/pockets and let it drop.

HIts were not detectable at all.  Fish would grab them and run, but toward me (deeper water)... made good use of a high speed reel and long rod...

No giants, but a very enjoyable way to finish up a day that had been a grind.

Part of the issue is that all previous week they'd been running 40K+ cfs at both damsites (TN river) and of course, it being Saturday... they shut it down to a trickle.

Makes at times for some pretty fickle fish. 

Lipripper

Thanks for the report coldfront and glad you changed off of what wasn't working insted of trying to force feed them what the done told you they didn't want that day.

Kats Rule And Bass Drool.Viet Nam Vet

coldfront

Quote from: Lipripper on August 27, 2017, 08:50:19 AM
Thanks for the report coldfront and glad you changed off of what wasn't working insted of trying to force feed them what the done told you they didn't want that day.

Lip,
I'm slower than most.  Luckier than a lot of others.  At times it works for me.   lo