Ultimate Bass ULTIMATE BASS | BASS FISHING CLASSIFIED ADS | CONTACT US    

Bass Fishing information about bass boats, tackle, fishing rods, baitcasters and other reels all about bass fishing.
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

I am personally getting tired of spammers! We will be aggressively blocking IP addresses  from here on out. If you find yourself  blocked call 318-347-7380 and we will work to correct the issue. Thank you!

Page Down
FREE TACKLE EVERY WEEK

Bass Anglers Magazine - The Best bass fishing magazine on the rack! Subscribe Today and Catch More Bass

NuTech Lures

Doc Irv Custom Baits

Life Vantage

Get Bit Outdoors

X Zone Lures

Bass Anglers Magazine - The Best bass fishing magazine on the rack! Subscribe Today and Catch More Bass

Bass Boats For Sale Free Classified Ads

Laurie Cork
Ph. (318)347-7380
You can Email Me Here

Mike Cork
Ph. (318)560-9827

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Mono or not to Mono That is the Question  (Read 729 times)

Bud Kennedy

• Charter Member
  • PFD's and KILL SWITCHES SAVE LIVES
Mono or not to Mono That is the Question
« on: December 10, 2017, 11:46:37 AM »

Like many folks I tend to buy tackle for a specific presentation type.  The will result in a worm rod, a jig rod, a cranking rod, a flipping stick and of course the trusty frog rod.  Obviously there are others but these I suppose would be the most commonly used by many anglers.  Typically at the same time we then start thinking about what reel to best fit the new rod or presentation type.  Slow, medium or fast retrieve or something for deep cranks, best long casts for the rod selection or perhaps just how it fits in your hands.  Many decisions are required to select the perfect reel for the set up and for the angler's style of casting.

Now comes the line.  Holy smokes so many choices but it seems like most of the reels are loaded with braid but can be flouro, or mono.  Many use it all on one reel.  Mono backing, then braid then flouro.  My personal selection is braid on mono backing and thats it.  I have never used flouro and I am no fan of leaders so I tie direct to the bait.  But..... for cranking I tend to use mono.  Now comes the question.  I don't deep crank but I do use spinnerbaits, chatter baits and square bills and have always done this with mono but often I will tie the bait to a braid reel.  So, is that a big no no or should I continue to keep a reel filled with mono.  Seems like a waste of a reel sometimes.  My question is how important is it to use a stretchy line with cranking/moving baits.

Kris

• Ol' Skool
  • Dobyns, NuTech, Doc Irv, Monster
Re: Mono or not to Mono That is the Question
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2017, 11:59:37 AM »

I actually prefer stretch in the line when using moving baits like spinnerbaits and crankbaits. My biggest fear with braid is to overpower the hookset and lose the fish. I know it's probably a longshot to happen but my mind seems to think it can.
On most of my reels that are used for bottom bouncing or moving baits  I use fluorocarbon line with mono backing. On my spinning reels I use Sufix Performance Braid in 20 lb and a fluorocarbon leader for wacky worm, ned rigs, etc. I presently do not have Sufix on any of my baitcaster but I have 3 - 30lb spools that may go on some of them. That will be part of my Winter maintenance.
Reservoir fishing in MD, Vietnam Vet, Retired
Ouachita 16' Model B, Minn Kota, Lowrance, Raymarine
Moderator - Maryland Fishing Reports and Chat

Bassinlou

• CM Community Diplomat
  • Mr. Frogger
« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2017, 12:11:07 PM »

For the applications mentioned, I specifically throw mono.
Team 4 Community Diplomat
Forum Moderator for: Florida, Catch of the Day and Bank Fishing for Bass
Florida Bass Fishing Reports

analfisherman

• Charter Member
  • HOOKS, LIES AND ALIBIES
« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2017, 12:13:30 PM »

I too prefer stretch on 'most' moving baits.
But remember, Flouro actually has stretch....maybe less than mono...but still has it.

I'm a 'direct tie' type of guy too....again, unless I'm looking for 'abrasion resistance' and want to use braid for some reason.

I'd keep the mono setup rod rigged and just use it for like Spooks,walking baits and Poppers and such too......giving it more water time. (Ya, I know, you probably use braid 'NOW' for these baits....but gives you an alternative use for the mono setup)
"Fishing isn't life or death... it's more important than that."

merc1997

• Sponsors
  • Baby Bass
« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2017, 12:28:37 PM »

i did a side by side comparison on using braid with moving baits opposed to using floro or mono.  end result is that i have gone to using a 10 to 15 lb. test braid.  i did learn to use a more for giving rod with the braid.

the smallness of the line diameter of braid overcomes what extra depth you get with the sink of floro.  much better feel of the no-bites, and because of the no strech, much better hookups.

again, it is a matter of using what give you the most confidence.

bo

SFL BassHunter

• Charter Member
  • SFL BassHunter
« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2017, 12:58:57 PM »

Bud, I use mono for the techniques you specified. You can easily use braid for cranks, and it would make it easier to rip the lure out of grass as there is no stretch.
But if you've ever caught fish on a spinnerbait you know that even with mono your spinnerbait gets mangled up pretty good in most cases, especially with bigger fish.
Imagine the spinnerbait on braid. Might even break some. You'd have to adjust your rod, and have the right amount of drag set to offset the stretch that mono gives you.

Braid has its benefits, like better bite detection.

Just my thought on it.
PB: 6lbs 5oz / 24.25 inches.
Rods/Reels Dobyns, 13 Fishing, Cabelas Arachnid, Daiwa Tatula CT, Tatula SVTW, Tatula Tactical, Tatula Type R
Florida Bass Fishing

Dink Dawg

• Smallmouth
  • Baby Bass
« Reply #6 on: December 10, 2017, 02:42:43 PM »

I don't care for braid for general use except on a spinning rod where line twist is an issue. That, frogs  a Super Spook ( Loooong casts ) and punchin' and that's it.  Flourocarbon on finesse, jerkbait rods only.  I fish mono on everything else.  Don't discount the quality of mono line today.  There are some really good monos that perform well.  Stretch is over emphasized by line manufactures. The castibility of mono far outweighs it's stretch factor in my opinion. I also like the fact mono is affordable and allows for me to put fresh line on more often or as needed.  I respect anyone's choice of lines.  I just know what works for me where I fish.

Pferox

• Life Member
  • Right on the Gulf Coast.
« Reply #7 on: December 11, 2017, 09:12:10 AM »

Because my presentations are usually still or drifting, I tend to choose line for different reasons, usually the species I am targeting and casting distance.

If my line is over 30 lb I go braid because any mono or co-poly is pretty unruly in the heavier lines, and cast ability suffers extensively.  Heavier braids usually have almost the same abrasive and cut resistance as the monos in my situation I have found.

Under 20lb, which I do use in some of the back waters, I have found that abrasion and cut resistance is non existent in most braids, so mono is my go to.

20lb is my transition point, smaller reels get braid and larger ones get mono, and their usage is more location specific. 

Drift fishing is the only time I even come near to the number of casts per session lure guys do so normally line twist doesn't come into the equation.  For drift fishing I do use braids since most of the time the fight is in the upper water column and damaging debris is usually out of the equation.

I have a few old technology level wind, conventional reels that can't hold up to braid's abrasiveness so I am forced to use mono only on those reels.  Fortunately they are smaller and 30lb mono is about the heaviest I use on them, they aren't casting stars either, so the difference in line types doesn't affect them much.
"If you think you are too small to be effective, you have never been in bed with a mosquito" - African Proverb.  Jim

njpaulc

• Smallmouth
  • Baby Bass
« Reply #8 on: December 12, 2017, 10:14:35 AM »

Here's the deal. on some presentations you need some "stretch" or give to enable you to keep the fish on.  Where that "stretch" comes from, is irrelevant, whether it's your rod, your line or a loosely set drag, or a combination of the three.  I thought it was funny when everybody went to slow action fiberglass rods for crankin, and then went nuts looking for low stretch mono so they could still set the hook.

coldfront

• Ultimate Basser
« Reply #9 on: December 12, 2017, 01:41:23 PM »

Here's the deal. on some presentations you need some "stretch" or give to enable you to keep the fish on.  Where that "stretch" comes from, is irrelevant, whether it's your rod, your line or a loosely set drag, or a combination of the three.  I thought it was funny when everybody went to slow action fiberglass rods for crankin, and then went nuts looking for low stretch mono so they could still set the hook.

that is 'logic' at it's finest for sure!

I use mono for popR's.  no problem tossing jigs into heavy cover with it either.  Just have to be REALLY diligent about checking for nicks and retying.

prefer either 10lb or 12lb mono.
same too for flouro.  10lb probably gets bulk of work.

this girl came out of a brushpile in 8 feet of water on a t-rigged lizard.  12 pound mono (trilene XL)

now, I'm out there enjoying the moment, the 'oh look, a squirrel' moments  ;D  I'm not in a time crunch, tournament and have plenty of time to think, as well as re-tie.

I'm not retired.  Just starting to act like it.   ;PEP)

Oldfart9999

• Ultimate Basser
  • Baby Bass
« Reply #10 on: December 12, 2017, 05:04:50 PM »

I use mono for top water, generally 17 pound test, the extra size helps keep the bait floating high and the stretch helps not pulling the bait out of the fishes mouth. I like fluorocarbon for spinnerbaits, same reason. I've been using fluorocarbon for deep cranks but I'm rethinking that after watching a video by David Fritts, crankbait guru, he favors braid now, feel or sensitivity is one reason, the other is he can use heavier lb test line and still have a smaller line helping achieve the max depth for that crank.
Rodney   
Old Fishermen never die, their rods just go limp.

RazorCat

• UB Member
  • Baby Bass
« Reply #11 on: December 13, 2017, 01:17:21 PM »

I've experimented with different lines for different techniques for years. 
I currently use Sniper FC 16# for squarebills, shallow cranks, chatterbaits, swim jigs, and spinnerbaits. 12# Sniper FC for medium/deep crankbaits and jerkbaits.  20# Sunline Super Natural for all topwater presentations.  25# Sunline Super Natural Mono for buzzbaits, soft swimbaits (think Skinny Dippers and Flukes), and for heavy spinnerbaits I'm casting over long distances.  The Sunline mono is much smaller diameter than the Trilene XL I used to use so I get away with heavier line.
50# Sufix 832 Camo for Flipping Jigs and Frogs.  65# Sufix braid for Punching and really heavy cover Frog fishing.
I've had zero issues with those setups, and love the way those lines perform with those lures.  I do use techniques specific St. Croix LTB rods that are designed for those presentations.  I prefer a modified fast action rod for anything with braid, and have found they work best (for me) with heavy mono.  Longer rods and higher speed reels let you take up more line quicker and negate some of the stretch.  I've never had a problem with mono line stretch being an issue.
Here's a link to some excellent information on specific lines for specific techniques.  I've found it useful.
www.bassfishin.com/blog/fishing-line-guide/     
« Last Edit: December 15, 2017, 10:39:02 AM by Mike Cork »
2007 Sabre FTD
2007 Mercury 150 Optimax

WRB

• Smallmouth
  • Baby Bass
« Reply #12 on: December 13, 2017, 01:45:29 PM »

No line in the history of bass fishing has created the need for new knots then Fluorocarbon line. With that much smoke there is a fire and the problem is knot strength with FC line, it fails randomly. When using braid with FC leader you have 2 knots to fail.
I was a long time user of FC line since the early 90's, so lots of experience with every primium FC line.
2 years ago I started using Sunline Armilo Nylon for my swimbaits in lieu of Seaguar Abrix FC and very happy with the results. This year I went back to Maxima Ultra Green 5 lb Copoly line in lieu of Sunline 7 lb Sniper for my finesse presentations and never broke off a bass due to knot failure.
I only use braid (FINS PRT) 60 lb for very heavy cover like flippin tulies/reeds or dense weed beds.
Now we come to jigs and worms, bottom contact lures. FC does have less coeffient of drag in the water but...poor or unreliable knot performance. Why use FC if it can and will fail? Don't think it's always the knot, it isn't.  FC tends to stretch and flatten under pressure of tieing knots and pulling on snags and  wound onto small diameter baitcasting reel spools over a period of time. FC stretches the same as mono or Copoly lines, I have tested all brands I used  for yield strength and they are nearly equal if the diameter is equal. Mono/Copoly/FC doesn't stretch until it reaches about 40% of it's tensile strength (lb test). What you feel as stretch is water drag creating a bow in the line, FC creates less line bow.
What line to use for my jigs and worms? Braid, I grew up in the 50's fishing braid and don't like it!
Tried 20 lb braid, smallest I want to go with bait casting reels and didn't like it. This year I started using Sunline Shooter Defier Copoly line, it's small dia and very strong with good abrasion resistance and like it.
So now I am back to mono for everything except vegetaion heavy cover where I will use straight braid.
Tom
« Last Edit: December 13, 2017, 03:44:09 PM by WRB »

Smallie_Stalker

• CM Community Diplomat
  • Good things come to those who bait !!!
« Reply #13 on: December 13, 2017, 06:11:37 PM »

I've experimented with different lines for different techniques for years. 
I currently use Sniper FC 16# for squarebills, shallow cranks, chatterbaits, swim jigs, and spinnerbaits. 12# Sniper FC for medium/deep crankbaits and jerkbaits.  20# Sunline Super Natural for all topwater presentations.  25# Sunline Super Natural Mono for buzzbaits, soft swimbaits (think Skinny Dippers and Flukes), and for heavy spinnerbaits I'm casting over long distances.  The Sunline mono is much smaller diameter than the Trilene XL I used to use so I get away with heavier line.
50# Sufix 832 Camo for Flipping Jigs and Frogs.  65# Sufix braid for Punching and really heavy cover Frog fishing.
I've had zero issues with those setups, and love the way those lines perform with those lures.  I do use techniques specific St. Croix LTB rods that are designed for those presentations.  I prefer a modified fast action rod for anything with braid, and have found they work best (for me) with heavy mono.  Longer rods and higher speed reels let you take up more line quicker and negate some of the stretch.  I've never had a problem with mono line stretch being an issue.
Here's a link to some excellent information on specific lines for specific techniques.  I've found it useful.
http://www.bassfishin.com/blog/fishing-line-guide/   

RazorCat, while we appreciate the sharing of information can you please not link to other forums ( it's actually against the posting rules and guidelines) and please do not make this link 'live" anymore.

Thanks for understanding.
Supporting Companies: Abu Garcia  Berkley  Pflueger  Fenwick  Shakespeare  Spiderwire

caddyjoe77

• Let's Go Fishin!!
  • Life Member
  • Working too much, more fishing time needed!!
« Reply #14 on: December 16, 2017, 08:51:13 AM »

for those techniques I throw 20 pound Seaguar senshi mono.  Keep in mind, a lot of my spinnerbaits..etc are thrown around metal/wood docks..etc so it is important to have a thicker line IMO. 

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Monster Fishing Tactle is the best place to buy your tackle needs Check them out online

When Bass Fishing Is More than Just a Hobby - Dobyns Rods

QUICK LINKS
UB Home
Main Forum
Welcome
Dock Talk
Techniques
Rods and Reels
Tackle Box
Catch of the Day
UB Contests
Tips and Ideas
Sponsor Connection
Fishing Reports
Charter Members Only
Bass Fishing Classified Ads
Boats 4 Sale

BECOME A
CHARTER MEMBER
SUPPORT UB

Find out about the contests before everyone else and know about the latest news first

Page Up

Page created in 0.073 seconds with 25 queries.