Ultimate Bass ULTIMATE BASS | BASS FISHING CLASSIFIED ADS | CONTACT US    

Bass Fishing information about bass boats, tackle, fishing rods, baitcasters and other reels all about bass fishing.
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Thank you! Sorry about the wait...

Page Down
FREE TACKLE EVERY WEEK

Bass Anglers Magazine - The Best bass fishing magazine on the rack! Subscribe Today and Catch More Bass

NuTech Lures

Doc Irv Custom Baits

Life Vantage

Get Bit Outdoors

X Zone Lures

Bass Anglers Magazine - The Best bass fishing magazine on the rack! Subscribe Today and Catch More Bass

Bass Boats For Sale Free Classified Ads

Laurie Cork
Ph. (318)347-7380
You can Email Me Here

Mike Cork
Ph. (318)560-9827

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down

Author Topic: Shimano Metanium baitcasting reel review  (Read 1646 times)

fishballer06

• Charter Member
  • Baby Bass
Re: Shimano Metanium baitcasting reel review
« Reply #25 on: December 14, 2017, 11:38:28 AM »

Hold up now...

Some of y'all are wearing out gears? Please explain how.

He's salmon fishing, not bass. If you've ever caught a fresh 30lb salmon in a freshwater stream, you'd understand why it can destroy your bass gear.

SteelHorseCowboy

• Ultimate Basser
  • Baby Bass
« Reply #26 on: December 14, 2017, 11:48:19 AM »

He's salmon fishing, not bass. If you've ever caught a fresh 30lb salmon in a freshwater stream, you'd understand why it can destroy your bass gear.
Was Mike salmon fishing too?

I've also hauled in bigger cats than that, but maybe a salmon fights harder? I've never gone salmon fishing.
Plus, my round reels have the same or similar ratio as a low profile "winch", so I'm sure that makes a difference too.

I can't help but be at least a little concerned. I don't expect my used Caenan to last forever, although I can't imagine why the previous owner ditched it in a pawn shop likely for pennies.

But now I've got this Curado xg, 8.1:1 and wondering if I need to be concerned about the longevity of the gears. But I've yet to battle anything even close to being considered a big fish with either Shimano.
Did fight a great big gator gar for a minute with the Black Max before it broke my line, and I don't think that's what damaged it.

Is this just an aluminum gear problem?

coldfront

• Ultimate Basser
« Reply #27 on: December 14, 2017, 12:08:51 PM »

Was Mike salmon fishing too?

I've also hauled in bigger cats than that, but maybe a salmon fights harder? I've never gone salmon fishing.

salmon make those long, line scorching, gear busting sustsained runs.  cats, bass do it in short small bursts.

fishballer06

• Charter Member
  • Baby Bass
« Reply #28 on: December 14, 2017, 01:48:12 PM »

Is this just an aluminum gear problem?

salmon make those long, line scorching, gear busting sustsained runs.  cats, bass do it in short small bursts.

It's well known that aluminum gears are lighter than brass, but they're also a softer material that could have issues under a heavier load. However, all these reel manufacturers wouldn't make reels with aluminum gears if they didn't hold up to standard bass fishing because no manufacturer wants to have to warranty out gears for every single reel.

Yes, a salmon is a totally different animal than any freshwater fish you've experienced. A bass/catfish/muskie will take a 10-20 foot run. But go hook into a salmon in a small freshwater stream. That fish will run 60-70 yards upstream in one burst and think nothing of it. Then once you get that fish back down to you, it will run down stream another 40-50 yards in one burst.

I've only caught my salmon on spinning gear. I couldn't imagine doing it on my casting gear.

SteelHorseCowboy

• Ultimate Basser
  • Baby Bass
« Reply #29 on: December 14, 2017, 05:02:15 PM »

Well you've convinced me. Where the hell do I find some salmon?

Kurt L

• UB Member
  • Baby Bass
« Reply #30 on: December 15, 2017, 12:45:16 AM »

We have five varieties of Salmon from large Kings to Smaller Silvers, Reds, Pinks and Chums. I use my Metaniums with 8-10lb test for the smaller Salmon primarily Silvers running from 4-15lbs. they like to stack up in slack water so there are lots of parallels to growing up Bass fishing! from skipping jigs and small lures back under trees to twitching worms or Senko's, they can't stand it and will pound them. it can be nonstop action to the point you are pulling your gear away from the other species of salmon just so you can focus on the Silvers, it's lots of fun but you find out pretty quick how tackle holds up and my Mets. have done well when using the right grease zero issues at all, I tested "IOS Factory" grease from Hedge Hog Studios at the end of the season and it has worked well in the short time I got to test it but is very expensive  :shocking:. The repeated long fast runs cause the most wear, sometimes after a long fight you'll feel it on the next cast and it's time to switch out reels and do a cleaning when I get home.

Kurt     

fishballer06

• Charter Member
  • Baby Bass
« Reply #31 on: December 15, 2017, 08:11:18 AM »

Well you've convinced me. Where the hell do I find some salmon?

You've gotta get into a stream off the ocean or off Lake Ontario or Michigan. We get them around here by going up around the Buffalo/Rochester New York area in October whenever they make their spawning run.
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up

Monster Fishing Tactle is the best place to buy your tackle needs Check them out online

When Bass Fishing Is More than Just a Hobby - Dobyns Rods

QUICK LINKS
UB Home
Main Forum
Welcome
Dock Talk
Techniques
Rods and Reels
Tackle Box
Catch of the Day
UB Contests
Tips and Ideas
Sponsor Connection
Fishing Reports
Charter Members Only
Bass Fishing Classified Ads
Boats 4 Sale

BECOME A
CHARTER MEMBER
SUPPORT UB

Find out about the contests before everyone else and know about the latest news first

Page Up

Page created in 0.063 seconds with 23 queries.