American made Braid

Started by SteveTX, August 21, 2017, 11:33:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SteveTX

As for the mono backing. I do it for a couple of reasons.

The biggest reason is because it wont let my braid dig so deep into the spool. If you get that decent sized 4lb bass or so in the cover and try and drag him out fighting you soon have 20+ lbs of weight pulling easily against your line. This does not account for the pressure you apply with the rod. This will cause the line to try and dig in between layers of line on the spool. With only about 70 yards of braid to dig into its not near as bad a a whole spool of braid it could bury into. To prevent this I use 12lb mono usually Big Game (its cheap) as it stacks tightly on the spool vs a larger diameter line. You want the tighter stacked mono so that the braid cannot work its way in between the layers.
My second reason and not nearly as important is to get two reels spooled from a 150 yard spool of braid. Really this is just a coincidence that it helps me save money because it has little to no bearing on my using braid.

As for how much mono to apply I usually see what the spool is rated at and semi calculate what I need like 1/2 a spool or 1/3 of a spool and then try and measure on my spool about where this would be. Make a dot with a dry erase marker and fill it as necessary. Always look at the diameter of the braid and see how it calculates to filling the spool as well. If its the same diameter as the mono it will be easy to see pretty close how much braid you will need so you adjust the mono more or less to get that much braid on. Hope that makes sense it did in my head but may not have come out understandable.  lo

TWBryan

Thanks Rick,I'll look into the Boomerang's. :)

SteveTX, I think I have a bit too much on my reel right now. Trying to figure out if I want to remove some or not. Also can you join braid to braid and how strong would the connection be? Trying to figure a way to salvage and rectify my mistake. Your explanation was good enough that I understood it. :)
Enjoy yourself now,for you'll be a long time dead.

FlatsNBay

Bryan, I'm in a budget too. Pick you up a pair of kid's scissors for a $. That's what I like to cut braid with.

Lots of great info on this thread! I picked up a few new things too. UB is great!

SteveTX

Quote from: TWBryan on August 30, 2017, 11:44:28 AM
SteveTX, I think I have a bit too much on my reel right now. Trying to figure out if I wan to remove some or not. Also can you join braid to braid and how strong would the connection be? Trying to figure a way to salvage and rectify my mistake. Your explanation was good enough that I understood it. :)
Yes and no. You can join braid to braid, no I do not do it. I just shoot a little long on the braid so I don't end up needing more. With heavy braid like 65 lb that I use a lot of its a easy fix. If I end up with a short piece say my estimation was off and I end up using 80 to 90 yards off the 150 yard roll to fill my spool properly then the shorter piece is used on my dedicated flipping reel. I don't need but 50 to 75 feet on it so 50 yards is plenty.

In your position id just wind that off the spool onto a old reel, a stick, toilet paper roll, or paper towel roll. Anything will work. Then add or remove any mono as necessary to make the rest of the braid fit.

TWBryan

FlatsnBays,going to try something like that. I just can't afford the cool stuff anymore.

SteveTX, I think I will pick up another spool of the stuff tomorrow. Maybe I'll start over and maybe I'll figure how to do it right. Headache all day hasn't helped things.
Enjoy yourself now,for you'll be a long time dead.