I-Pilot report

Started by Oldfart9999, September 03, 2017, 07:12:48 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Oldfart9999

I have an older Tracker 16 foot deep v multi species boat that is light and sits high in the water so I put a
Minn Kota Terrova 55 foot lb on it and this spring installed I-Pilot. I was getting familiar with it when I went down because of my shoulder but am back at it now.
I was out yesterday and it was windy, at times white caps, the areas I wanted to fish were all hit with it. This was going to be a real test of the unit. The only way I could get bit was with drop shot and it's not a fast technique so I was using the Autopilot feature to keep me on course as I was moving along a line of moored boats with the wind hitting me from the side. Minn Kota has 2 versions of Autopilot, Advanced which I was using, it's GPS linked and very precise and digital compass which cam be affected by the wind. It was easy moving and staying on course, while I had to increase the speed to stay on course I still had time for at least one cast per boat slip, fishing was doable.
It has a "record a trak " feature which will record a track or line you are fishing up to 2 miles long, you can record up to 6 tracks and go back and forth, from the start of the track to the end then back to the
beginning, a nice feature when you have fish located, you hit it and just concentrate on fishing.
Autopilot lets you run a line without without worrying about controlling the boat.
Another feature is "Cruise Control", it lets you set a speed and then holds it at that speed, you can adjust the speed on the fly, cruise control is a nice feature and can be used with Auotpilot and Record a Trak.
The main feature folks go for is "Spot Lock" push a button and the boat stays where you want it, supposed to be within 5 feet of where you set it, when it's calm yes, when it's windy not so much. My tm is an older one, the new ones are supposed to be much better in the wind, I'm mostly satisfied with mine
when offshore, for dock fishing if it's calm I use it.
The foot control has a single cable to the motor, is flat which is nice and contains a switch for constant speed, one for Autopilot(Advanced), a momentary switch, the standard back and forth of a cable drive and on the back corner quick steer to turn right or left, nice for a quick correction when you are sitting, a tap of the foot and you're done. There is also a speed control, easy when it's calm, you may want to bend over and change it in the wind or use your foot sitting. The only complaint I would have with it is the back and forth foot control, to do a minor change you have to move your foot then get off it or it'll go to far, takes some learning. The remote control that comes with the unit does all this also plus setting the speed, setting record a trak, spot lock and both autopilots cruise control and digital compass, it also shows the speed. You can sit and retie a bait, or check your livewell, saves running to the bow when you need a quick change.
My first I-Pilot was on a Power Drive hated the foot control. sold it and bought the Terrova and haven't looked back. That showed me how well Record a Trak works, it's great! If you are looking for a tm for a multi species boat I would highly recommend this unit, also it would work very well on a bass boat and cost quite a bit less than the Ulterra Minn Kota makes. Battery life is excellent, the remote floats if you drop it over board. It comes in shaft lengths of 45 to 60 inches to fit most any boat.
Rodney     
Old Fishermen never die, their rods just go limp.

Lipripper

Rodney thanks for your great report. Sounds like a great unit.  ~c~ ~c~ John is looking to get a new TM for his 2014 PRO SERIES Bass Tracker. Cause he's getting old like us and the foot operated one is getting harder for him to use. The one that came on it (I think it is a 45 foot lb) just don't do as well in the wind and he has to keep his foot on the control all the time or we get blown away from where we are fishing. I will have to mention this one to him. 8)

Kats Rule And Bass Drool.Viet Nam Vet

Captsteve

I have the powerful and upgraded it with the I-pilot and I Love it. mine is 80 lbs 54 in. on my Ranger 1850ls witch is a heavy boat and it does great.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Steve
Headed for the Lake

Captsteve

Quote from: Lipripper on September 03, 2017, 07:52:41 AM
Rodney thanks for your great report. Sounds like a great unit.  ~c~ ~c~ John is looking to get a new TM for his 2014 PRO SERIES Bass Tracker. Cause he's getting old like us and the foot operated one is getting harder for him to use. The one that came on it (I think it is a 45 foot lb) just don't do as well in the wind and he has to keep his foot on the control all the time or we get blown away from where we are fishing. I will have to mention this one to him. 8)

Quote from: Captsteve on September 03, 2017, 08:03:07 AM
I have the powerdrive  and upgraded it with the I-pilot and I Love it. mine is 80 lbs 54 in. on my Ranger 1850ls witch is a heavy boat and it does great.

Steve
Headed for the Lake

fuzzion