Ultimate Bass ULTIMATE BASS | BASS FISHING CLASSIFIED ADS | CONTACT US    

Bass Fishing information about bass boats, tackle, fishing rods, baitcasters and other reels all about bass fishing.
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Tapatalk should be back up. Please report issues -->here<--. Thank you!

Page Down
FREE TACKLE EVERY WEEK

Bass Anglers Magazine - The Best bass fishing magazine on the rack! Subscribe Today and Catch More Bass

NuTech Lures

Doc Irv Custom Baits

Life Vantage

Get Bit Outdoors

Fishing Frenzy Tackle

Bass Anglers Magazine - The Best bass fishing magazine on the rack! Subscribe Today and Catch More Bass

Bass Boats For Sale Free Classified Ads

Laurie Cork
Ph. (318)347-7380
You can Email Me Here

Mike Cork
Ph. (318)560-9827

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Good Affordable Kayaks for beginners  (Read 264 times)

Matthew Kidd

• UB Member
  • Youtuber: Matt's Fabulous Fishing Adventures
Good Affordable Kayaks for beginners
« on: September 04, 2017, 09:55:42 PM »

Hello everyone, I am trying to figure out a decent but yet affordable kayak to start kayak fishing out of. If anyone has any information that would be great. I actually looked at a Lifetime Tamarack at Walmart today and it seemed pretty good but I'm not to for sure considering I know nothing about kayak fishing. If anyone could point me in the right direction I would greatly appreciate it, thanks and God Bless.

Lipripper

• Life Member
  • Illinois
Re: Good Affordable Kayaks for beginners
« Reply #1 on: September 05, 2017, 07:38:25 AM »

I'm with you and know nothing about kayaks and there are a lot of them out there. I guess it would depend on how much you want to spend on one as to which one to check out.

Kats Rule And Bass Drool.Viet Nam Vet

SteelHorseCowboy

• Largemouth
  • Baby Bass
« Reply #2 on: September 05, 2017, 12:28:29 PM »

I still say build!
Just cause I had one stolen and I sunk the second, don't mean it's not a valid option, especially at less than $100.
Planning to start pirogue #3 today or tomorrow.

Lipripper

• Life Member
  • Illinois
« Reply #3 on: September 05, 2017, 12:30:20 PM »

I still say build!
Just cause I had one stolen and I sunk the second, don't mean it's not a valid option, especially at less than $100.
Planning to start pirogue #3 today or tomorrow.
Good for you SHC will be looking and following as you go along. 8)

PassinBass

• UB Member
  • Baby Bass
« Reply #4 on: September 05, 2017, 02:52:46 PM »

Hi Matthew, i was in your situation about a year and a half ago. I didn't want to spend over $500 on something that I didn't know if I would enjoy or use much. I looked for a long time and ultimately bought a Lifetime kayak from Sports Authority for a good price  ($300) when they were going out of business. I looked at the Tammarack model and could have gotten that one for about $20 or $30 less at the time, but everything I read was saying the longer the better.  I ended up getting the Weber 132 model which is 11 feet. I believe the Tammarack is 10 feet. In hindsight, I probably would have been fine with the Tammarack as it is several inches wider which would be a little more stable. The longer narrower kayaks track better and are more efficient in the water but  I don't paddle long distances, as I mostly just use the kayak for small bodies of water that I can't access in my 14 foot jon boat. Sometimes I actually wish I would have gotten a wider kayak as I would probably attempt to try and fish standing up (cautiously) as I've learned that fishing sitting down isn't really my favorite thing to do.

FishingFanatic2015

• UB Member
  • Baby Bass
« Reply #5 on: September 05, 2017, 03:38:33 PM »

I know exactly what you mean and that's really I am looking for as well. I fish a lot of small body waters but also wanted to maybe get into kayak tournament fishing but since I don't know if I'll like it or not. Should I go with a cheaper version or just go out and buy a high value one. But then again if I don't like it I would be stuck with a $2500 kayak if I tended to get one at that expense.

SteelHorseCowboy

• Largemouth
  • Baby Bass
« Reply #6 on: September 05, 2017, 03:52:07 PM »

Here's the way I see it. If YOU buy a $2,500 kayak and decide you don't want it, how many people do you reckon would be willing to buy it second hand from you at a price that you could accept?
In my area, I can guarantee you the folks who'd spend more than a grand on a kayak are few and far between. Lotta folks round here are like me, they'd laugh so hard they'd cry if they saw one for sale in the classifieds for over a grand.

If you can afford one of those high end ones, I'd say get a cheapo first. If you decide you want a better/nicer one, it'd probably be easier to sell a $500 kayak for $300 or so as you upgrade, rather than a $2,500 kayak for $2,000 later.

Lipripper

• Life Member
  • Illinois
« Reply #7 on: September 05, 2017, 03:54:30 PM »

I know exactly what you mean and that's really I am looking for as well. I fish a lot of small body waters but also wanted to maybe get into kayak tournament fishing but since I don't know if I'll like it or not. Should I go with a cheaper version or just go out and buy a high value one. But then again if I don't like it I would be stuck with a $2500 kayak if I tended to get one at that expense.
To bad there wasn't someone around you that rents them so you could try one out.

PassinBass

• UB Member
  • Baby Bass
« Reply #8 on: September 05, 2017, 08:26:47 PM »

Keep in mind too, that you don't necessarily have to get a 'fishing' kayak. You usually pay a little more for the fishing version of some kayaks. The accessories can be added later if you want them. To me, part of the fun of a kayak, just like a jon boat, is customizing it to how you want it.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Monster Fishing Tactle is the best place to buy your tackle needs Check them out online

When Bass Fishing Is More than Just a Hobby - Dobyns Rods

The most innovative and technologically advanced fishing rod blanks on the planet

Get Chomped at Mega Chomp Lure Company and Get The Best Baits for your Money

QUICK LINKS
UB Home
Main Forum
Welcome
Dock Talk
Techniques
Rods and Reels
Tackle Box
Catch of the Day
UB Contests
Tips and Ideas
Sponsor Connection
Fishing Reports
Charter Members Only
Bass Fishing Classified Ads
Boats 4 Sale

BECOME A
CHARTER MEMBER
SUPPORT UB

Find out about the contests before everyone else and know about the latest news first

Page Up

Page created in 0.065 seconds with 34 queries.