Crankbait Line?

Started by Bretts_daddy, September 06, 2017, 12:05:16 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bretts_daddy

What is the best pound test for fluorocarbon line to use for crankbaits (shallow to medium depth)? I have 15lb Red Label spooled on now but am seeing many people are using like 10lb test and I'm wondering if my line will be too heavy and i should switch to something lighter?
The only stupid question is the one you don't ask!

No matter how much we know about fishing there is always more to learn!

bigjim5589

Unless you're having an issue getting them to the proper depth, what you're using should be fine. I use 15 lb Yozuri Hybrid and because I'm fishing fairly shallow most of the time, I don't have any problems with my crankbaits not getting deep enough. I like the 15 lb because of it's extra strength compared to lighter lines.

With mono lines, because of the buoyancy of mono, some folks would go to lighter lines to allow deep running cranks to get down better, and lighter lines have less drag on them with the smaller diameter. This can be a problem with folks who do a lot of deep trolling with crankbaits & mono lines without adding other weight to the line, such as a down rigger or inline sinkers (not necessarily fishing for bass.)

Plus, they can gain a bit more line capacity on their reels with a lighter line, but the exact lb test used might also depend on many factors. Fluoro lines sink, so shouldn't be an issue if you're fishing fairly shallow. If you fish deep, over 20 ft, then line diameter might create some issues regardless of the line you use, but you would have to determine it is causing a problem.

Some folks use certain lines too because someone else has told them to use it, not because it's the "right" line to use.  ::)

Fanatical Fly Tyer & Tackle Maker!  It's An OBSESSION!!  J. Hester Fly & Tackle Co. LLC.

-Shawn-

I use 15lb Sunline Shooter and I throw cranks in some nasty stuff.  The only reason to go down in test is to get your bait down a little deeper. 

Bretts_daddy

The deepest running bait I have is a Rapala Scatter Rap Crank that dives 8ft. - 13ft., any deeper than that and I'll use spinnerbaits or jigs.

-Shawn-

I throw a DD 22 a lot, pretty much year round and 15lb works great for me.

Captsteve

the more I read , the more I know I have a ton of learning. I am lost most of the time.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
Steve
Headed for the Lake

loomisguy

15lb is too much for me. If I'm throwing a diving bait like the wart, up to the DD22, 6xd ect. I usually use 8 or 10lb. Invisx.
I have gone down to 6 on the wart, bandit 100 and rk crawler but it gets a bit risky.

Msn26753

I crankabait alot....  I usually use 10 or 12lb Berkeley big game mono line..  I never have a problem with line breaking..   Well,  that was that one time I was bringing in that 23lb largemouth and line broke before I got to boat....  Really....  I wouldn't lie...  Lol

Oldfart9999

I settled in on 12lb BPS EXPS FLOUROCARBON for deep cranks, for ohters that are shallow I go with 15 or 17 lb mono.
Rodney
Old Fishermen never die, their rods just go limp.

Bretts_daddy

Quote from: Msn26753 on September 07, 2017, 07:13:50 AM
I crankabait alot....  I usually use 10 or 12lb Berkeley big game mono line..  I never have a problem with line breaking..   Well,  that was that one time I was bringing in that 23lb largemouth and line broke before I got to boat....  Really....  I wouldn't lie...  Lol
But doesn't mono float? Crankbaits are a diving bait so wouldn't using a line that sinks like fluorocarbon be what you wanted to use? I have a spool of 12lb Big Game mono but have always thought fluoro worked best for crankbaits and jerkbaits.

SteveTX

Quote from: Bretts_daddy on September 07, 2017, 08:29:48 AM
But doesn't mono float? Crankbaits are a diving bait so wouldn't using a line that sinks like fluorocarbon be what you wanted to use? I have a spool of 12lb Big Game mono but have always thought fluoro worked best for crankbaits and jerkbaits.
See the first reply by bigjim5589 above. It pretty well explains it.
I have also used Big Game 12 and 15# test on my crankbaits. I don't fish the super deep ones though. About 12 feet is as deep as I play.

You just have to use what puts your bait where you want it to run.

I've actually switched to 30# braid and haven't regretted it yet. It's been great for sensitivity not that you need it on a crankbait but it's nice. I just like all the benefits of braid. I guess if you felt you had to you could do a leader but I don't.

Bretts_daddy

Well, I have some 12lb. Big Game mono and I also have some 20lb Power Pro braid I could use. I basically just want my cranks to dive to their listed depths (like I said, the deepest I have is a Rapala Scatter Rap that is rated 8 - 13ft.).

njpaulc

I use 10 lb mono.  I tried braid and fluro and did not like it.  I like a firmer rod for cranking and the stretch in the mono helps keep the fish buttoned up.  Additionally I find it easier to unsnag a crank using the stretch in mono.

bigjim5589

QuoteBut doesn't mono float?

Yes, it does, as I mentioned above and mono is used by many folks to fish crankbaits. Mono is not going to keep a crankbait from diving, particularly sinking versions. It won't keep floating/diving cranks from diving either. When I said "mono", that also included the various copolymer lines too. Anything that's not fluoro, or a super braid, or going back in history, silk or dacron.  ::)

Besides, what do you think folks used before fluoro or braid existed?  ~shade Mono type lines were used for everything!  lo

I used to use Big Game, and it's fine for crankbaits. I tried the Yozuri & liked it better. It has some stretch, but also has better abrasion resistance than most mono type line.

I still use some Big Game line, just not for bass fishing.
Fanatical Fly Tyer & Tackle Maker!  It's An OBSESSION!!  J. Hester Fly & Tackle Co. LLC.

loomisguy

The 12lb. big game you have is probably thicker in diameter than the 15lb. Seaguar flouro.
If it's a choice between those 2, I would stick with the Red label.

LgMouthGambler

Personally hate fluoro. Would go with the Big Game or an equivalent mono due to knot strength and better personal opinions on how the line holds up.

<")))>{

My wife says she is gonna leave me if I go fishing one more time........lord how I will miss that woman.

SteveTX

Quote from: loomisguy on September 08, 2017, 05:04:51 AM
The 12lb. big game you have is probably thicker in diameter than the 15lb. Seaguar flouro.
If it's a choice between those 2, I would stick with the Red label.
Big Game 0.014in Red Label .013 in Take in the manufacturing tolerances and its a wash.

I would prefer the Big Game over the Seaguar flouro.  ;D

cortman

I use 10 lb Senshei mono for most cranking, and also some topwater applications. I use 15 lb. Tatsu fluoro for squarebills, since I also throw spinnerbaits and chatterbaits with that combo and want a line with a little less stretch and more sensitivity. Have also used 15 lb. Big Game mono for that combo and it worked fine, was way less sensitive though and when I'm fishing a lot of weeds (which is all the time) I want to be able to really feel that bait striking the weeds so I don't get it fouled up.

loomisguy

Well, still not a wash. It's a better handling line and thinner than big game. I've never had a issue with breaking knots with flouro. zero.
I will say big game makes good backing..and it is cheap.

SteveTX

Quote from: loomisguy on September 09, 2017, 05:45:37 PM
Well, still not a wash. It's a better handling line and thinner than big game. I've never had a issue with breaking knots with flouro. zero.
I will say big game makes good backing..and it is cheap.
By it being a wash I was referring specifically to the comment you had mentioned about line diameter. The .001 difference is a wash as both lines vary in diameter by more than .001.

Flouro definitely is not the same as mono. Fluorocarbon makes great leader material...and has a well known history of knots slipping.  ;)

loomisguy

Not if you know how to tie a knot...001 is the difference between seagaur 10 and 12lb line.
where did you see the manufacturing tolerence  is more than that ?

Msn26753

I've used fluorocarbon  once...  I got so many backlashes I threw it in the console and never picked it up again..  I'm not putting it down,  it's all on what you prefer..  I throw big game and braid and never Anny issues.. It's just what you like..  That's why you get so many opinions...