Lake Arbuckle

Started by SIRFISH, September 06, 2017, 06:04:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SIRFISH

I fished this lake years ago with a friend who was familiar with this lake. I would like to fish it again but I am not sure about where the boat ramp is. I would appreciate any info on the lake and where the ramp is. Thanks

Capt. BassinLou

Quote from: SIRFISH on September 06, 2017, 06:04:06 PM
I fished this lake years ago with a friend who was familiar with this lake. I would like to fish it again but I am not sure about where the boat ramp is. I would appreciate any info on the lake and where the ramp is. Thanks

FWC ramp finder will be your best reference source for this type of info. I looked up Arbuckle Lake and I got this ramp.

https://public.myfwc.com/LE/boatramp/public/Ramp.aspx?FacilityID=PO00075IZ&Name=Lake+Arbuckle+Park+and+Campground

kadas

Sirfish--Lou's map is pretty good- It depends on the way you are coming in to get to it --If you are coming from the west into Frostproof take 630 East until you see the Y in road right after the R/R tracks--follow road around Lake Reedy--You will pass the ramp for Reedy on your right if you ever want to fish that lake--stay on road--North Lake Reedy Road until you see the sign for Lake Arbuckle campground--turn left and follow to campground--you will not be able to go any farher--road dead ends into an Air Force base. The ramp is in the campgrounds. There are different ways to get to Lake Arbuckle road depending on which direction you are coming from. Let me know which direction and I can give you directions from that way. Arbuckle can be pretty good fishing--up in the pads or at the mouth of Arbuckle creek.. You have been here before so you know the gators are plentiful and big. It has been told to me that Arbuckle was where Polk County dumped the problem gators when gators were on the endangered list--have no idea if that is true or not--we just give them plenty of room just like we do everywhere else :)    Good Luck--sorry it took so long to see your post but I would imagine it will be a few before Arbuckle is fishable anyway.  Another warning--when you park your boat and trailer after you launch which is a little distance from ramp be careful of walking through the Spanish moss that is on the ground there heavy. A lot of snakes seem to like that stuff. I try to not go there before sunup so I can see and I still walk the drive back to ramp. I never cut across the lot. Would never camp in a pup tent there like I see people doing. Would not want any unwanted guests in the tent with me!!  If you need more directions let me know

SIRFISH

Thanks for the response Kudas
Is it possible that there is another ramp at the other end of the lake at "Camp Arbuckle"?
After looking on Google Maps it seems like a ramp might be there before you get to the correctional facility.
I'll be traveling up from Lorida. I've been fishing Istokpoga every winter for several years ( I live in Maryland and come down in Feb) but it's not been fishing well so this winter I want to explore other lakes.

kadas

SIRFISH--yes there  is another ramp down by the correction facility. I actually think you need to go in the gate at correction site to get to it --not real sure on that-- We have never used or tried to use it as we have always launched up at the ramp in the campgrounds. We tend to fish up that way most of the time and from where we were coming from the campground ramp was the closest one for us. If you go fishing there watch your depth pretty close until you get familiar with the lake again.  Pretty sure it is ok now but when ever thing was so low there was section running across the lake that was only about 6in deep  It ran from the point that runs out from the east side over to the west side. The west side is generally shallow anyway--just watch your depth gauge pretty close until you are familiar with the areas. I have no idea if the ramp at the corrections facility is open to public or not--can not help you on that. If you are coming from the south up 27 turn right on hwy 17 or scenic 17--do not remember exactly what they call it--follow this until you come to T.S. Wison Road--make a right --the Lowe's distribution center will be on your left--this turns into Lake Reedy Road and you watch for the signs to Lake Arbuckle campground and make a right.  Pretty easy--google earth it and you will see you are just coming in to same place from the south--just saves you a some miles.  Just google Frostproof and expand it out and you will see both routes

FloridaFishinFool

Words are the exercise for the brain. Words are life expressed... without words we die a slow meaningless death. Silence to the grave is no way to go! So live! Use words! Power of the pen is sharper than any sword! Make it so! Mom said don't surround yourself with idiots! Fly higher than the Eagles... and don't run with the turkeys! Deus Vult!

kadas

Quote from: FloridaFishinFool on September 17, 2017, 07:48:34 AM

Good map FloridaFishinFool--  SIRFISH you can see the lake is not deep so just go easy on it until you get reacquainted with water--we generally have our best fishing on the east side in the pads there unless they have sprayed them. They did spray last fall I believe so we moved out to the first break and found some fish..  We use to fish Poga some too but they have sprayed everything so bad we just quit going down to fish until the grass starts to come back if they will let it grow back. It is almost like they want to make a mudhole out of it. If you are up that way you might try Reedy also. it can be good at times. Also by looking at this map it does not show the ramp at the correction facility as being a public ramp so I am guessing it is a private ramp

FloridaFishinFool

Words are the exercise for the brain. Words are life expressed... without words we die a slow meaningless death. Silence to the grave is no way to go! So live! Use words! Power of the pen is sharper than any sword! Make it so! Mom said don't surround yourself with idiots! Fly higher than the Eagles... and don't run with the turkeys! Deus Vult!

SIRFISH

Thanks for all the info from everybody. Since I am a snow bird and not really familiar with all the lakes you guys have in Highlands County would you mind giving me some info on fishing some of the local lakes?  I have fished for bass since 2001 on Istokpoga but it's really declined over the last 4 years. My plan for this coming winter adventure is to explore other lakes. I have been on Huntley, Lake Placid and Lake June only a couple of times over the the years and enjoyed fishing them. But looking at Google Maps I see so many other lakes to explore. Let me know what else I can try, thanks

kadas

Quote from: SIRFISH on September 19, 2017, 06:10:01 PM
Thanks for all the info from everybody. Since I am a snow bird and not really familiar with all the lakes you guys have in Highlands County would you mind giving me some info on fishing some of the local lakes?  I have fished for bass since 2001 on Istokpoga but it's really declined over the last 4 years. My plan for this coming winter adventure is to explore other lakes. I have been on Huntley, Lake Placid and Lake June only a couple of times over the the years and enjoyed fishing them. But looking at Google Maps I see so many other lakes to explore. Let me know what else I can try, thanks
You could try Dinner Lake which is just east of Sebring--have not fished that one in over a year but it has bass and some good ones in it  In Avon Park is Lake Lotela which has some good fishing--bass and crappies. Also Lake Letta which is in the same area has some descent fishing.  You can find the public ramps for each on the Florida site for Public ramps that Lou had listed up in the beginning posts. You can also go out Rt 60 towards the east and fish Kissimmee. There is a public ramp right at Rt 60 -actually 2 ramps--one to fish the lake and another one to put in to the south to fish the river