Berkley Flicker Shad

Started by Bretts_daddy, September 12, 2017, 09:00:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bretts_daddy

Does anybody have first hand knowledge of these cranks? How do you like them? What kind of a wobble do they have? Do they hold up?
The only stupid question is the one you don't ask!

No matter how much we know about fishing there is always more to learn!

Mike Cork

They are a good crankbait. My father trolls with them and swears by them, the only bait he's used for the last couple years. They have a fairly tight wobble. Catch everything from bass to crappie to walleye

Fishing is more than just a hobby

Dobyns Rods - Monster Fishing Tackle
Cork's Reel Service

Pacific NW Ron

I've used them trolling but never casting.  I've caught stripers, whippers, bass and walleye on them.  As Mike said they have a fairly tight wobble.
Ron
Enjoying retirement in the great Pacific Northwest.  I've turned into a fair weather angler.  Why do it today when I can do it tomorrow?

Bretts_daddy

Quote from: Mike Cork on September 12, 2017, 11:57:01 AM
They are a good crankbait. My father trolls with them and swears by them, the only bait he's used for the last couple years. They have a fairly tight wobble. Catch everything from bass to crappie to walleye
How would they compare to a Rapala Shad Rap?

Mike Cork

I'd say they are fairly similar. I've never played with them side by side though.

Cork's Reel Service

Bretts_daddy

Quote from: Mike Cork on September 12, 2017, 02:23:53 PM
I'd say they are fairly similar. I've never played with them side by side though.
So if you were deciding between the two with the Berkley being about $3 cheaper would you go Flicker Shad or stick to the tried and true Shad Rap even though it costs more?

OkobojiEagle

I'd buy one of each and report back...

oe

Lipripper

Quote from: Bretts_daddy on September 12, 2017, 02:32:20 PM
So if you were deciding between the two with the Berkley being about $3 cheaper would you go Flicker Shad or stick to the tried and true Shad Rap even though it costs more?
berkley makes some fine lures and for the price rang it wouldn't hurt to buy a couple and try them out.

Kats Rule And Bass Drool.Viet Nam Vet

Mike Cork

Quote from: Bretts_daddy on September 12, 2017, 02:32:20 PM

After thinking on this more, I think most things are equal between the two. Check the weight as that could make a difference in casting but other than that they seem pretty much the same.

Cork's Reel Service

Bretts_daddy

Would there be a significant difference based upon the materials used (plastic for Berkley and balsa for Rapala)?

Mike Cork

The balsa typically floats faster when retrieve is stopped. Plastic will typically dive a little deeper with all thing equal.

Cork's Reel Service

OkobojiEagle

I have used both baits but don't carry them with me now.  Mike is exactly correct when comparing these two baits plastic to balsa.  I also found neither cast well for me, perhaps that is why the walleye guys like the Flicker Shad... deeper depth when trolling and slight suspend before it begins to rise on the pause.  Today I fish the Rapala X-rap Shad.  Much better casting, suspends when paused and can be retrieved more erratically or subtly.  Of course, your mileage (and fishing) may vary.

oe

caddyjoe77

might want to check out the berkely dredger, those little cranks get down there and fast.  Shad looking though, I really am liking the scatter rap in the shad rap shape as well as the smaller scatter raps.  they have deep models too.  Erratic hunting is a good word for them. 
BeerMe

Oldfart9999

Flicker Shad work very well on smallies that are in 15 feet or less.
Rodney
Old Fishermen never die, their rods just go limp.