Anybody Make a 16' Bass Boat Anymore?

Started by FlatsNBay, August 23, 2017, 05:17:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

FlatsNBay

I've been doing a little research and weighing my options for eventually replacing my flats boat with another bass boat. I am nowhere near ready but starting to research none the less. I noticed that none of the boat manufacturers make a 16-17 foot fiberglass bass boat anymore. They all start at 17'6" and get bigger. I'm trying to keep my total length of the boat motor and trailer with swing tongue​ open and outboard in the down and turned position to less than 19'6". My 17' Flats and Bay fits nicely with the swing tounge and motor down. Does anybody make a smaller glass bass boat anymore? The 17'6" models are just a teeny bit too big even with a swing tounge. It looks like I may have to look for an older model or get an aluminum rig again. Any thoughts or suggestions that I'm not thinking of? I've had both fiberglass and aluminum bass boats before and my preference would be a small glass boat. Thanks guys!

j102

What do you think of the Ankona and/or Saltmarsh boats?
The Saltmarsh 1656 and the Ankona Cayenne come to mind. They are rated for small engines, so they won't go 60mph, but are good boats with excellent reviews.
Good for bass fishing and good for Saltwater flats fishing.

FlatsNBay

Thanks for the suggestion j102. Looks like a great boat. I have a flats boat that I really like but would like to transition back into a true bass boat since I primarily bass fish anymore. I must say that my Flats&Bay has been the most versatile boat that I have ever owned! I've done it all bass, snook, lobster you name it! She's getting on in her years and is 16 years old!

DonM

DonM

j102

Quote from: FlatsNBay on August 23, 2017, 06:52:12 PM
Thanks for the suggestion j102. Looks like a great boat. I have a flats boat that I really like but would like to transition back into a true bass boat since I primarily bass fish anymore. I must say that my Flats&Bay has been the most versatile boat that I have ever owned! I've done it all bass, snook, lobster you name it! She's getting on in her years and is 16 years old!

Yes, they are not true Bass boats, but do well as Bass boats. Plus like you said, they can be used for snook, redfish, tarpon, etc. I am even considering selling my CC boat and getting something more conducive for Flats (and Bass) fishing.

Capt. BassinLou

Flat's what prevents you going to aluminum if its strictly going to be a bass boat? There are a bunch of makers that have boats in the length you are looking for that are very well equipt.

cport

Quote from: DonM on August 23, 2017, 09:03:44 PM
Pro Gator still makes a 15.4 foot with stick steering.  Really neat!
http://www.progator.com/progator/progator-154s/

That is cool. I saw they had the ProGator 150C as well, 15' with a 75" beam...

http://www.progator.com/progator/progator-150c/
11lb 2 oz PB 🎣

Polaris425

I think the BassCat Margay is right at 17'.
Fishin' Alabama
Building Rods, & Snatchin' Lips.

FlatsNBay

I never heard about Pro Gator before. The 17 footer looked pretty interesting!

Warrior tackle, the Basscat Margay looks like a great boat. Unfortunately the total package is 20' 2" including the swing tounge open. I need It to be under 19-6. I have a local Bass Cat dealer and may visit with him to see if their is any way to shorten up the package.

Lou, I've had 2 aluminum bass boats and a couple of glass bass boats. I've liked them both. I used to love my Xpress. That was an awesome boat! My preference would be a fiberglass hull to take on rough water better. I may go aluminum if I can't find what I'm looking for in a glass boat.

Capt. BassinLou

Quote from: FlatsNBay on August 24, 2017, 02:39:07 PM
I never heard about Pro Gator before. The 17 footer looked pretty interesting!

Warrior tackle, the Basscat Margay looks like a great boat. Unfortunately the total package is 20' 2" including the swing tounge open. I need It to be under 19-6. I have a local Bass Cat dealer and may visit with him to see if their is any way to shorten up the package.

Lou, I've had 2 aluminum bass boats and a couple of glass bass boats. I've liked them both. I used to love my Xpress. That was an awesome boat! My preference would be a fiberglass hull to take on rough water better. I may go aluminum if I can't find what I'm looking for in a glass boat.

Happy hunting Flat's.

DonM

Pro Gator is a small operation, but have been in business for MANY years.  The factory is located not a few miles from my house and from Mike Cork's.
They are good people.  I have a '99 195 with 150 Merc that runs like new!
They also build great Bay Boats.
DonM

j102

Flats,
How is the search going?
I keep coming back to these 16 feet Ankona/Saltmarsh boats. They are universal.
What makes a true Bass boat anyway?

FlatsNBay

I'm still looking and comparing. All of the boat manufacturers start at around 17'6". When you add the motor and swing tounge trailer you go over the length that I need (19-6). Stratos makes the 176VLO that combined with THEIR swing tounge trailer that comes in under 19-6. It would work but rumor has it that Stratos is going out of business. There are a few older models out there from other manufacturers that will work but very little new. In a couple years when I'm ready I may have to go used. The Pro Gator also looks interesting.

I'm definitely not interested in a salt marsh or flats style boat. I already have that. I LOVE my boat and would keep it if I wanted to stay in that style. Heck, I love it so much that's what my screen name is named after! Lol

Thanks for the suggestions!

j102

Understood. You know what you want.
Doesn't Tracker make a 16 feet aluminum boat?