Live Well Plug

Started by kstt, September 14, 2017, 08:30:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

kstt

Guys - I'm the new owner of an '08 Pro Team 175 txw. I'm running into a few questions as I get acclimated with the whole boat-owner thing. This one is about the live well plug:

There is one drain hole in the bottom of the well, and there IS a plastic plug. But it just sits on top of the hole, very loose, and certainly won't keep any water from draining. It does appear to be the original plug, but I'm wondering if there is supposed to be an O-ring that's missing?

Oldfart9999

Did you get the owners manual with it? I don't know about your question but if you Tracker Service you can ask for a manual and wiring diagram, I found them to be very helpful!
Welcome aboard, you're at the best bass site around, check us out, chime in when you feel you want to!! Checkout the New Member contest, you may win a really nice prize!!
Rodney
Old Fishermen never die, their rods just go limp.

SteveTX

Can you post a picture of what your looking at?

cojab

TTK has spoken.

kstt

I got an owner's manual from Tracker, but it's very generic, and not very specific. There is no wiring involved - I'm just talking about a drain plug. A "stopper" if you will. It looks like one of these. I can't tell from this photo if it is supposed to have a rubber O-ring or not. Mine does not.

Oldfart9999

It looks like a push-pull plug, the body should be soft enough to fit when pushed in. Have you tried pushing and pulling it?
Rodney

SteveTX

Quote from: Oldfart9999 on September 15, 2017, 07:22:02 AM
It looks like a push-pull plug, the body should be soft enough to fit when pushed in. Have you tried pushing and pulling it?
Rodney
I agree with Rodney. From the looks of the picture I would 100% agree with his assessment.  ~sun

kstt

It just sits loosely on the drain hole. There must be an o ring missing.

j102

Take a look at the link Cojab posted. Those plugs (and similar designs) actually "expand", putting pressure against the wall and sealing the drain hole good.

SteveTX

Quote from: kstt on September 15, 2017, 08:09:18 AM
It just sits loosely on the drain hole. There must be an o ring missing.
Does it have a grove to hold a o ring? I would think it would be at least midway down on the plug if it had one to seal. A grove at the very top would not be very effective I wouldn't think.
It could be that it uses a o ring or it could be they are just worn out. A interference fit piece of rubber used in a water environment likely would wear and or shrink in 10 years. I would go with something as suggested by Cojab as well they make them in several sizes and I think it would do a fine job stopping the hole for cheap and most places have them even Walmart here carries some. 

Or some of these might help. http://thmarine.com/th-marine-products/aeration-and-plumbing/aeration-and-livewell-systems/livewell-drain-plugs

Oldfart9999

If you google your boat, year & model, you will find what you need to use. Plugs aren't expensive and you might not have to go to a big box store, just a local marina.
Rodney

Thornback

My 2005 Bass Tracker live well hard plastic plug leaked so I now use a regular screw type rubber drain plug in the live well. It fits nicely and never leaks.

coldfront

another easy approach is to just call bass pro shops (closest store) and have their marine guys talk you through this.  even ask them what the replacement part would be and look at that to see how different it is from what you have.

MOST drain plugs are screw in ... screw out.  Should be an o-ring there... but not necessarily.

jyu87

if it's loose, it's missing something. Most likely a 0-ring or it's not the right plug. You should be able to find a replacement pretty easily.
2018 Tracker 190TX
Mercury 115 ProXS
Lowrance HDS 12 & 9 Gen3

swimjig

I have the same boat , and that is the live well plug. if it loose, then you need a new one, probably old and dried out.

jyu87

whoops
2018 Tracker 190TX
Mercury 115 ProXS
Lowrance HDS 12 & 9 Gen3

Oldfart9999

Wkoops? Backstory?  ??? ???
Rodney

jyu87

Quote from: Oldfart9999 on February 21, 2018, 06:46:24 AM
Wkoops? Backstory?  ??? ???
Rodney

Accidentally replied to the wrong plug thread lol.
2018 Tracker 190TX
Mercury 115 ProXS
Lowrance HDS 12 & 9 Gen3