Smoked crappie fillets

Started by Wizard, September 14, 2017, 09:05:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wizard

Crappie are best smoked in a fish basket so they don't fall apart. Being a very mild fish they require a mild smoking wood. I've found the fruit woods such as Apple, Peach and Cherry work the best. I put no heat under the fish until the very end. They will slowly cook and "cure" in the smoke. About .5 hours of smoke is enough. The smoke also makes them last longer in the refrigerator. You may use a rub on the crappie if you wish. Lemmon/pepper or cajun spices taste good as a rub.
For you calorie counters, this has a very good taste without the grease of fried fish.

Wizard

Lipripper

Sound good Wizard and I have a bunch of Crappie in my freezer that I caught on my trip a couple of months ago. I had baked crappie but never tried smoking it. I will have to go out in the garage and dig out my smoker.

Kats Rule And Bass Drool.Viet Nam Vet

flowerjohn

Quote from: Wizard on September 14, 2017, 09:05:43 AM
Crappie are best smoked in a fish basket so they don't fall apart. Being a very mild fish they require a mild smoking wood. I've found the fruit woods such as Apple, Peach and Cherry work the best. I put no heat under the fish until the very end. They will slowly cook and "cure" in the smoke. About .5 hours of smoke is enough. The smoke also makes them last longer in the refrigerator. You may use a rub on the crappie if you wish. Lemmon/pepper or cajun spices taste good as a rub.
For you calorie counters, this has a very good taste without the grease of fried fish.

Wizard

So are you making some because I am about to start the car!

Message sent via the FC Network.

Oldfart9999

Sounds real good Wizard, thanks for the heads up!
Rodney
Old Fishermen never die, their rods just go limp.