Getting Tired of Fixing the Boat

Started by Bud Kennedy, September 19, 2017, 04:03:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bud Kennedy

For the past three years it seems like more time and money is being spent keeping my old rig running then I do using it for fishing.  As many of you know I have a 1991 Ranger 365V.  It is a fine boat and really fishes well and is a pleasure on the water.  The problem has been that I have had to face the trials and tribulations of owning an old rig.  Although the boat its self has been fairly trouble free the motor is still driving me crazy.  It just seems like something always needs fixed.  Today was no exception.  Seven miles down river and the trim stopped working.  This has happened before so the problem was not a new one and I knew exactly what had to be done to get it fixed.  It seems that the trim relays come unseated a little bit and lose contact resulting in a non functioning trim system.  Knowing what to do is one thing on dry land but in the middle of a river seven miles from the ramp is a pain in the tokas. So, we headed for the ramp with a motor stuck in the down trim position at the blazing speed of 7mph.  After about an hour we arrived at the ramp and put the boat on the trailer and very carefully pulled the boat and trailer on dry land.  Pulled the engine cover reseated the relays and all is well.  When I got home I decided to lash those rascals down with some zip ties so they won't do it again (I hope)

I mention all of this just to say that now I am back into the boat owners urination tournament to decide what to do in the long run.  I don't want to keep facing these failures and robbing the wife and myself of all to valuable fishing time.  So now we begin the solution.  We have two options 1.  Repower or 2.  get a whole new (not used) boat.  Even though my Ranger is 27 years old the boat is just fine.  The trailer needs some work and the boat could use some new carpet and a little plumbing work on the live wells and otherwise it does very well.  Most of the problems have been with the motor.  In the past 3 years I have spent over $5K in repair bills and still have these little nagging issues.  We are now going through all of the steps again to decide what to do.  Financially the repower is the cheapest way to go even though a new motor is worth more than the boat.  The best way to go would be a whole new rig.  As senior citizens we don't get to fish all that much and it is hard to justify the expense and related costs of an entirely new boat. 

The cold stark reality is there probably no responsible solution to this issue.  The pressure is on, The Mrs want this taken care of before our upcoming trip to Santee in Mid October.  Time is short.  Waiting on quotes now for a New Merc 4 stroke.  A local bass boat dealer has one in stock in a crate and I hope we can make a deal.

Donald Garner

Bud, you just need to put the trigger and get a new engine  ~shade
Belton Texas part of God's Country
Stratos 285 Pro XL Yamaha 150 VMax; Lowrance Hook 7 Electronics; Minn Kota Foretrex Trolling Motor

G3 1548 Alwed Jon boat Yamaha 25hp outboard 

Bud Kennedy

I agree Don.  It is all about getting a deal at this point.  I have decided to go with a Merc just because of their availability of local factory service.  Evinrude was my first choice but at this moment there are no authorized dealers in our area.  Merc is kinda the standard in this area anyway so I guess it is ok.  I am hoping I can negotiate a realistic deal.

Captsteve

Quote from: Bud Kennedy on September 19, 2017, 05:06:23 PM
I agree Don.  It is all about getting a deal at this point.  I have decided to go with a Merc just because of their availability of local factory service.  Evinrude was my first choice but at this moment there are no authorized dealers in our area.  Merc is kinda the standard in this area anyway so I guess it is ok.  I am hoping I can negotiate a realistic deal.
I hope you can get a good deal. New motor does sound like the best option.   

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
Steve
Headed for the Lake

Mike Cork

Pulling the trigger on a new engine will give you tremendous piece of mind on the water.

As I was reading your post I was thinking.... You know most new engines have the trim relays zip tied in place. I know it was a hassle but it was a quick and easy fix. Maybe you can work all the bugs and vibration issues out and be good to go :-* Zip Ties and Duck Tape are a old boats mandatory equipment.

Fishing is more than just a hobby

Dobyns Rods - Monster Fishing Tackle
Cork's Reel Service

cojab

I guess I'm the dissenting vote.
If you can swing it I'd say buy a new one. Have little or no worries, and enjoy yourself. With a new boat you might even find yourself making more time to be on the water.

You can't take it with you.
TTK has spoken.

Princeton_Man

Quote from: Mike Cork on September 20, 2017, 09:56:09 AM
Pulling the trigger on a new engine will give you tremendous piece of mind on the water.

As I was reading your post I was thinking.... You know most new engines have the trim relays zip tied in place. I know it was a hassle but it was a quick and easy fix. Maybe you can work all the bugs and vibration issues out and be good to go :-* Zip Ties and Duck Tape are a old boats mandatory equipment.

I'm glad I read down through all the replies.... I was about to whip up a zip tie post. Dielectric grease and zip ties. ;D
Stratos 285 XL Pro 150 Evinrude ETEC

Dobyns Rods - LSCR Club

Oldfart9999

Bud, you looking at an Optimax or 4 stroke?
Rodney
Old Fishermen never die, their rods just go limp.

D.W. Verts

Good luck Bud.

I sold boats for years. My last seven boats were free (sponsored) to me. I got really spoiled. But when I decided I wanted to do this again I knew that I couldn't justify to myself the crazy cost of a new boat, and their isn't a sponsor who would touch me for obvious reasons. It isn't that I can't afford it- it's just ridiculous how high they've gotten in the last 15-16 years. Plus, just how much use am I going to get out of a $65K-$90K rig?

So I looked at a pile of used rigs, with the problem being USED. I sold enough boats over the years that I know how folks take care of their equipment. I don't need to buy an SEP (somebody else's problem).

So I took the road that I thought I could handle best- I bought a SOUND 1992 Charger 19' hull. It's big enough, already had some upgrades, and was a good platform to build on. Also, at one time I was Chargers' #1 salesman in the world, and I know that hull has been improved upon very little. A good, stable, great-riding (read: HEAVY) boat.

Next, scratch the old Johnson Looper- I wanted a "modern" motor. Since I have a great friend who's a Mercury Master Tech, I bought a 2001 (digital) 200 Optimax that is blown. Dean is rebuilding it for me now at a fraction of the cost of a new motor.

I've bought almost everything else new, from a Hot Foot to wheel trim, to rod holders to live well upgrades- you name it (probably stuff you've already done to your Ranger).

I THINK, when I'm done, I'll have as new a rig as you can have, without actually buying new, and I'll do it for well under $15K. If I decide to upgrade, a lot of the new stuff can be switched over. But I think I'll be happy enough.

A lot of this revolves around the motor price- I got mine for a thousand bucks. My buddy is not charging me full price for his work. But still- a rebuilt, with warranty, modern-technology engine for under $5K is less than a third of retail on a new one.

You also might check with Mercury for a warrantied factory re-manufacture. Or maybe a demo engine, called a "Pacemaker". There's always ways to save $ without sacrificing.

Sorry to be so long-winded- just wanted to let you know I get it what you're going through.

Dale
Old School Bass Fishin' with D.W. Verts on YOUTUBE!
Solar Bat Sunglasses Pro Staff

SteveTX

Im lost, I thought Bud already decided to not re power and was going hunting a new boat?  :surrender:

Princeton_Man

Quote from: SteveTX on November 06, 2017, 02:00:57 AM
Im lost, I thought Bud already decided to not re power and was going hunting a new boat?  :surrender:

You're not lost.  ;)
Stratos 285 XL Pro 150 Evinrude ETEC

Dobyns Rods - LSCR Club

Captsteve

I vote for a Ranger z18 with all the bells and whistles. Self deploying trolling motor and large graphs. Mercury 175 four stroke. Then if you don't like it, you can give it to me. lo lo

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Steve
Headed for the Lake

Polaris425

I'll sell you the Cat... 2013 Pantera IV. Lots of room and very stable for old guys. :D

And with a few tweaks you'd be able to keep up with Lee at G-Ville next year.
Fishin' Alabama
Building Rods, & Snatchin' Lips.

caddyjoe77

Bud, just repower. Thats your best option. 
BeerMe

caddyjoe77

Quote from: WarriorRiverTackle on November 06, 2017, 08:42:13 AM
I'll sell you the Cat... 2013 Pantera IV. Lots of room and very stable for old guys. :D

And with a few tweaks you'd be able to keep up with Lee at G-Ville next year.

what the??

BeerMe