Re Power Quotes

Started by Bud Kennedy, September 20, 2017, 10:37:04 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

cojab

Best of luck whichever way you go. Like Lou said, either is better than your current situation.
Peace of mind and feeling safe on the water will only enhance your time spent.
TTK has spoken.

Oldfart9999

Bud, I would let the dealer know that the deal depends on the info you're asking for!
Only you know whether a repower or new boat is the best way to go, tough decision to make. I do know that if I had the money I'd be looking at a new boat today, I'm 72 with arthritis everywhere and multiple surgeries and still doing cortisone to stave off surgery but I get out 3 times a week now and if I can it's 4 or 5 times and I have multiple good lakes within an hour/hour and a half, 2 of which the Elites fish so it's an easy choice I can't afford to do.
Good luck and and I hope you're very happy whichever decision you make!!!
Rodney
Old Fishermen never die, their rods just go limp.

Bud Kennedy

I have contacted four dealers about the re power.  Two of the dealers I visited in person and the remaining two were contacted by e mail.  The only true response so far has come from the e mail contact with a respected dealer that I have had personal experience over the years.  The others have not really responded except for some minor information but no real documented numbers.  It seems that most of the dealer organizations are a whole lot more interested in selling a complete boat and don't really focus on the re power aspect.  Three of these dealers have significant service capability and one would think that a re power would be right up their alley.

With what I have learned so far, my recommendations to anyone thinking about a re power is to do all of your research prior to contacting a dealer.  Make all of your selections including all of the required rigging products and be sure to document your request in writing.  This will take away a lot of the procrastination that many dealers seem to exhibit.  So far it is my opinion that most dealers just are not equipped for precise answers to your request.  This does not mean that they don't know what they are doing it just means that it is your decision to make and it implies that most dealers are not real good at administrative responsibilities.  Failure to do your up front research just may lead to surprises during the re power process.  This is not the time to bestow complete trust on a dealer but it is wise to listen to their ideas.  So I guess it is a trust but verify situation.  It may save you some significant dollars too.

Captsteve

sounds like it is getting complicated.
Of coarse they would rather sale you a new boat.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Steve
Headed for the Lake

Princeton_Man

Quote from: Captsteve on September 22, 2017, 09:11:36 AM
sounds like it is getting complicated.
Of coarse they would rather sale you a new boat.

What they like is not having to make a solid commitment on price. That way, all the "little things" they forgot can be added to the final bill.  :)
Stratos 285 XL Pro 150 Evinrude ETEC

Dobyns Rods - LSCR Club

Bud Kennedy

The first complete quote has now been received.  The dealer has provided a complete line item breakdown of the costs and has included two options for the gauge configuration.  The dealer has the motor in stock but some of the other goodies have to be ordered from Mercury Marine.  Now I have to be very serious about the money.  Is this something I want to commit to or what are my alternatives.  The out the door quote is sitting at $13.7K and does not include the $1K Rebate offer from Mercury and it does not include any money for the old motor.  That is now being addressed by the dealer.  This price seems to be a good offer pending the other factors listed above.  Plus I have to decide how I want to pay for this investment.

Princeton_Man

Quote from: Bud Kennedy on September 22, 2017, 01:11:08 PM
The first complete quote has now been received.  The dealer has provided a complete line item breakdown of the costs and has included two options for the gauge configuration.  The dealer has the motor in stock but some of the other goodies have to be ordered from Mercury Marine.  Now I have to be very serious about the money.  Is this something I want to commit to or what are my alternatives.  The out the door quote is sitting at $13.7K and does not include the $1K Rebate offer from Mercury and it does not include any money for the old motor.  That is now being addressed by the dealer.  This price seems to be a good offer pending the other factors listed above.  Plus I have to decide how I want to pay for this investment.

Not a bad price at all considering the rebate isn't in it and you still have your motor. Those two items could potentially get you down close to $10k. IMHO that's awesome!

Dobyns Rods - LSCR Club

Oldfart9999

Quote from: Bud Kennedy on September 22, 2017, 01:11:08 PM
Sounds like a good deal from a good dealer that wants your business! If you trust him I'd be taking a second look and talking about wait times. Like Jim said, take the rebate and what you could get for your old motor it sounds really good!!
Rodney

Bud Kennedy

Rodney, I don't have all the responses yet about the rebate or the motor trade all is still pending.  The Mrs and I continue to talk this whole deal over.  I really don't think we are ready to make this decision yet.  The Mrs would rather have another boat and in reality so would I but I am really a cautious sort when it comes to money.  This morning she asked me to consider looking at some newer but used boats.  I think we owe it to ourselves to be absolutely sure of what we want to do before writing any checks.  We just don't want to finance anything and writing a check like this takes a lot of consideration.  Her point is that it is coming into the time of year where some folks might just be considering selling their boats to get out from under the monthly cost.  She may be right about that.  The financial model suggests that putting 13 to 15K into our old boat does not make a lot of sense even though we really like our current boat.  I suppose we are suffering a bit from analysis paralysis.  Currently the old boat and motor is doing well.  The last motor problem was so simple and I was able to repair in 5 minutes once we got back on land so in reality there is no reason to be in a hurry about anything.  We are planning on taking the old rig to Santee in a couple weeks as is.

Oldfart9999

Never said it would be easy, when you know what you really want to do you'll be ready and peaceful about it. Enjoy the time at Santee!!!
Rodney

Mike Cork

Even in a new or slightly used boat, the financial investment is not good. Boats are not money makers. I look at it differently I guess. I could save a fortune if I sold my boat and fished with buddies once in a while. But fishing is what I love to do, it comes at a cost. Fishing is where I choose to spend my money. I do try to make sound judgements in purchases but just like buying a bag of worms, I buy them, use them, buy more so I can keep fishing. If I looked at fishing as an investment then I'd only buy hard baits and I'd carry snorkeling gear.

Fishing is more than just a hobby

Dobyns Rods - Monster Fishing Tackle
Cork's Reel Service

Captsteve

My boss gave me Finaicial advice. He said I should save up the money to pay cash for my boat. Well I'm  60 years old. I figured I will enjoy my boat a long time if I get it now. If I waited till I could pay cash I may never get it. Look at all the years I would miss. You can't take the money with you to the grave. Enjoy life.

Steve
Headed for the Lake

Princeton_Man

Quote from: Mike Cork on September 26, 2017, 07:24:05 AM
Even in a new or slightly used boat, the financial investment is not good. Boats are not money makers. I look at it differently I guess. I could save a fortune if I sold my boat and fished with buddies once in a while. But fishing is what I love to do, it comes at a cost. Fishing is where I choose to spend my money. I do try to make sound judgements in purchases but just like buying a bag of worms, I buy them, use them, buy more so I can keep fishing. If I looked at fishing as an investment then I'd only buy hard baits and I'd carry snorkeling gear.

Agree completely.  ~c~

Can't take it with us! It's a shame some folks do nothing but work hard their whole life, save for the future, then retire and die before they can enjoy the fruits of their labor.

I'm looking at the 198P very seriously as my retirement sled. Much lower maintenance than glass, lighter means easier and cheaper to tow, less likely to damage in shallow waters, and aluminum doesn't depreciate as quickly.

Dobyns Rods - LSCR Club

Lee Smith

Hell, get a new one, finance it for 30 years and let the kids worry about it  ~roflmao  ~roflmao

As many boats as I go through, I am a bad one to have this discussion with  lo  :'(
Builder of Custom Personal Bassin' Rods

Mike Cork

Quote from: Lee Smith on September 26, 2017, 08:09:45 AM
Hell, get a new one, finance it for 30 years and let the kids worry about it  ~roflmao  ~roflmao

As many boats as I go through, I am a bad one to have this discussion with  lo  :'(

~c~ ~c~ ~c~

They owe us anyway

Fishing is more than just a hobby

Dobyns Rods - Monster Fishing Tackle
Cork's Reel Service

Bud Kennedy

Lee, Do you still have the blazer.  I remember last year you were thinking about selling.  No I am not interested just curious.  LOL

Lee Smith

Quote from: Bud Kennedy on September 26, 2017, 11:25:54 AM
Lee, Do you still have the blazer.  I remember last year you were thinking about selling.  No I am not interested just curious.  LOL

I still have it, it thinks I'm dead  lo  hasn't been wet since February  :'(  :'(
Builder of Custom Personal Bassin' Rods

Oldfart9999

Quote from: Lee Smith on September 26, 2017, 01:47:12 PM
I still have it, it thinks I'm dead  lo  hasn't been wet since February  :'(  :'(
Have you taken your temperature lately? ~roflmao ~roflmao
Rodney

cojab

Any updates Bud?
We're all in suspense here.
TTK has spoken.

Bud Kennedy

Well, by now most have realized that I decided against the re power.  Pricing turned out about where I expected but the bottom line is..... It does not make a lot of fiscal sense to put that much money into a 27 year old boat.  Even with the new motor the rest of the stuff is really old.  For now I will keep using it like always but will keep searching for a different rig entirely.

I am a fairly patient person and will search high and low for a real deal.  This does not mean priced fairly it means a deal that makes it worth my while.  While I have found a few boats none have yet passed muster as far as overall conditions.  Mostly I have found that many are still paying for their boats and still so much it just isn't worth it to me.  I know if I stay aware of the market place perhaps I might find a deal deal.  Otherwise what I have runs good and everything works so I am not in a hurry.

Captsteve

patience is a virtue.  Not that I have any. lo

Steve
Headed for the Lake

LgMouthGambler

Why not just get a tin? You can get a 16-17' Bass Tracker for around 12-15K. Get that, has a warranty, and is more that yo old azz needs.  :)
My wife says she is gonna leave me if I go fishing one more time........lord how I will miss that woman.

Bud Kennedy

I don't think so.  If I were to go tin it would only be a Ranger.  My preference would still be for a glass boat and something 19 or 20'.  The trailer would be tandem axle.  Still want a dual console with a further preference for a 36V trolling system.  While electronic are important I doubt that I could get luck enough to find something with decent electronics but you never know.

I'll admit that I am a Ranger Bigot but would consider others if Glass but not in Tin.  Even at my age I am just not willing to sacrifice performance and going tin in my mind is mostly a cheap compromise except for a couple Ranger Options.

Believe it or not there are still some very nice glass boats that pop up from time to time in the 12-15K range that are still new enough to take the risk.  It all depends upon what the motor is and its condition.

cojab

This is what I would do if I was retired, this was my main hobby, it was something that my wife and I enjoyed together, and my income allowed it. Not that this does or doesn't makes sense for your application. Only you can answer that.

I would check to see what the lead time is for a new RT 198 P decked out exactly how I wanted it. I know you can get one with a tandem trailer and I believe a 36 volt TM. After finding this information, I would determine what date I needed to order one by to have a new boat sitting in my driveway by the beginning of the season.
Since now is the time to get a used glass rig at a good bargain and its something your interested in, I would search for a glass rig that fits what I wanted exactly until the date I needed to order the new Ranger. If I didn't find the glass I wanted by then, I would drive right down to the dealer and put a deposit on the new one and tell them to start building.

Just my .02
TTK has spoken.

Oldfart9999

The Tracker tins have a second console option in the 3 larger models. If I could do it I really would prefer a glass boat too though.
Rodney