Perch are in

Started by Oldfart9999, September 22, 2017, 06:20:14 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Oldfart9999

The perch are coming in up here, a buddy and I went out on Ontario to a spot that I've not seen anyone else use Tuesday, it's the size of a Nitro Z21, in about 50 foot of water and the charts missed it by about 10 feet but it is a transition point where the perch stack up this time of year. We put about 40 in the boat ranging from about 10 inches to 17 inches. We were drop shotting tear drops, with a lite action rod it's fun. Many years the weather won't let you get out there but this year it's cooperating, for now.
Rodney
Old Fishermen never die, their rods just go limp.

Mike Cork

Thanks for the report! Love catching pan fish on light action gear. I've always said, pound for pound, most panfish would put a bass to shame in pulling power

Fishing is more than just a hobby

Dobyns Rods - Monster Fishing Tackle
Cork's Reel Service

Lipripper

Thanks for the report Rodney and them are some jumbo perch  ~c~ ~c~ There use to be a lot of them on Lake Michigan but you don't hear of to many of them that size anymore. You did good to find such a good spot.  ;D

Kats Rule And Bass Drool.Viet Nam Vet

Pacific NW Ron

That size perch on ultra-light gear would be a lot of fun.  Around here most perch are around 6" mark.  I can only imagine a 17" perch.
Ron
Enjoying retirement in the great Pacific Northwest.  I've turned into a fair weather angler.  Why do it today when I can do it tomorrow?

zippyduck

Very nice rodney.  ~c~

We also got out on Saturday and got 31 jumbos on erie. along with three eyes, a couple white bass and white perch.
The weather is finally calm enough to get out on the big lakes.
3rd place 2017 UB IBASS 377.75"
AOY 2018 IBASS Cool Casters  369.00"
AOY 2019 IBASS Cool Casters  362.50"

Smallie_Stalker

We have a couple of ponds here that have quite a few perch in the 16"+ range. We catch them a lot when fishing for bass. I remember the first time I ever caught one that big it was during a tourney and I swore I had a good sized smallie on the line. It had my entire DLN crank in it's mouth. I had never seen a perch that big before that.

Like bass, I usually throw those bigger perch back to hopefully get bigger and keep the smaller ones for the pan. We don't have a limit on numbers but I try not to take more than a dozen of the smaller ones on any single outing.
Dobyns Rods   Titan Tungsten   Abu Garcia  Berkley  Pflueger  Spiderwire