Hosting

Started by SteveTX, September 22, 2017, 07:57:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SteveTX

I am looking to purchase new hosting for a website/forum. It will be low traffic for a generally small group of users. If anyone has a good experience that is cost efficient I'm all ears. 

Thanks.

bigjim5589

Steve, I had a website at one time some years ago & hosted it with Go Daddy. Also kept my domain name registered there. No complaints at all & although I didn't spend a lot of time comparing, the prices were reasonable IMO.
Fanatical Fly Tyer & Tackle Maker!  It's An OBSESSION!!  J. Hester Fly & Tackle Co. LLC.

SteveTX

Thanks bigjim5589 I'll check their options out.

DonM

I have used LunarPages for years.  No problems, reasonable, great support.
DonM

Capt. BassinLou

Steve, what forum are you planning to spearhead?

SteveTX

Quote from: DonM on September 24, 2017, 11:20:50 AM
I have used LunarPages for years.  No problems, reasonable, great support.
Thanks Don I'll check them out as well. Its always good to know people who have had real experiences before going in. Usually it saves some headaches.
Quote from: Bassinlou on September 24, 2017, 12:00:48 PM
Steve, what forum are you planning to spearhead?
Basically its a bunch of old guys that have played FPS games together since the 1990s website. We just BS, play games, and keep in contact.
Anyway the hosting we have has been tanking bad having a lot of down time and very slow. I figured I should get off the crappy service .  lo     

Capt. BassinLou

Quote from: SteveTX on September 24, 2017, 03:39:03 PM
Thanks Don I'll check them out as well. Its always good to know people who have had real experiences before going in. Usually it saves some headaches. Basically its a bunch of old guys that have played FPS games together since the 1990s website. We just BS, play games, and keep in contact.
Anyway the hosting we have has been tanking bad having a lot of down time and very slow. I figured I should get off the crappy service .  lo     
Dang... I will be considered an old guy.. just completed Ghost Recon Wildlands on the Xbox one. Very fun!! Good luck!!

Smallie_Stalker

Steve, I know this thread is a few weeks old but I just came across this today from one of the online tech sites I have taken courses from

Lifetime Website Hosting for $49.99

When I visited the page a pop-up offered 10% off your first purchase from the site that was offering the deal so you may even be able to get it for about $45!!!  :-*

Dobyns Rods   Titan Tungsten   Abu Garcia  Berkley  Pflueger  Spiderwire

SteveTX

Quote from: Smallie_Stalker on October 02, 2017, 05:34:23 PM
Steve, I know this thread is a few weeks old but I just came across this today from one of the online tech sites I have taken courses from

Lifetime Website Hosting for $49.99

When I visited the page a pop-up offered 10% off your first purchase from the site that was offering the deal so you may even be able to get it for about $45!!!  :-*
Dang I sure will check that out. Thanks a lot.  ;D

DonM

I was just investigating this and apparently you can get it for $25. through Cnet.com!
https://www.cnet.com/deals/dragify-website-builder-lifetime-subscription-7366/

P. S.  This may be just for the program to build sites rather than the hosting.  I'll check more.
DonM

Smallie_Stalker

Be careful with Cnet.com.

They used to have a very bad reputation in the tech community because downloading anything from their site dropped a bunch of extra stuff on your machine and added toolbars to your browsers that you could not uninstall.

I say used to because, supposedly, they were bought out a few years back and the new owners put a stop to that. I haven't heard anything bad since then but I also haven't downloaded anything from them either.

If it's just a link on their page that takes you to the Dragify page then you're not downloading directly from Cnet and it's probably a safe situation.

Just tread lightly and if you do download anything run a virus and malware scan on it before you even install it.  :-*

DonM

Quote from: Smallie_Stalker on October 03, 2017, 03:55:51 PM
Be careful with Cnet.com.

They used to have a very bad reputation in the tech community because downloading anything from their site dropped a bunch of extra stuff on your machine and added toolbars to your browsers that you could not uninstall.

I say used to because, supposedly, they were bought out a few years back and the new owners put a stop to that. I haven't heard anything bad since then but I also haven't downloaded anything from them either.

If it's just a link on their page that takes you to the Dragify page then you're not downloading directly from Cnet and it's probably a safe situation.

Just tread lightly and if you do download anything run a virus and malware scan on it before you even install it.  :-*

Good advice.  Actually it's good advice any time you download and install something!
DonM

Smallie_Stalker

Very true Don. If I could just get my wife to actually do this instead of saying she will and then "forgetting" ( ::)) I wouldn't spend so much time maintaining her laptop and phone.

Lipripper

Quote from: Smallie_Stalker on October 03, 2017, 04:37:23 PM
Very true Don. If I could just get my wife to actually do this instead of saying she will and then "forgetting" ( ::)) I wouldn't spend so much time maintaining her laptop and phone.
Good luck with that one.  ::) lo lo

Kats Rule And Bass Drool.Viet Nam Vet