Lake Okeechobee 9/23/17 Slims

Started by Capt. BassinLou, September 23, 2017, 02:28:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Capt. BassinLou

Fished Lake Okeechobee today out if Slims. I brought my BIL along on this trip. All I can say is what a difference between now and the last time I fished Okeechobee which was Sept 2. Wow!!

Fishing was horrible. The Lake is up to 16 feet. Areas that I was fishing last time were at about 3-4 feet. Now 6-7ft.

We covered a lot of water tried several baits and techniques, and all I have to show for it is one fish. Lol!!

By noon we were run off the water by storms and with only one fish to show after   4.5 hrs of fishing we decided to call the trip early.

I honestly don't know how bad the fishing is going to get fellas. It looks like it's going to be challenging for some time to come. :( 

SFL BassHunter

Damn sorry you had such a crappy outing. Maybe next time it will be better.
PB: 6lbs 5oz / 24.25 inches.
Rods/Reels Dobyns, 13 Fishing, Cabelas Arachnid, Daiwa Tatula CT, Tatula SVTW, Tatula Tactical, Tatula Type R
Florida Bass Fishing

Capt. BassinLou

Hmmm... for some reason I couldn't post my pic.
Here's the one and only monster of the day.... lol!!

Lipripper

Dang Lou sorry you and your BIL had such a tuff day of fishing.  ~sweat Hope it gets better soon. You think Irma had something to do with the bad day of fishing? At least you got one in the boat on your Frog.  ;D

Kats Rule And Bass Drool.Viet Nam Vet

big g

Wow, I can only imagine how much water are in the glades.  They have to draw down the lake, because of the levee, so that means the glades have not peaked yet.  Our little paradise will be messed up for a long time.  At least we dodged a direct hit, and we have power!!!!!!! :( :( :(
(Fish) - P/B 11.4, Everglades, L67, L28, Little 67, Alligator Alley, Sawgrass, Holey Land, Loxahatchee, Ida, Osbourne, Okeechobee, Weston Lakes. Broward and Dade Canals.

Canesfan

I might have to go back to Vermont to go fishing. Nice looking fish though.

LgMouthGambler

My wife says she is gonna leave me if I go fishing one more time........lord how I will miss that woman.

topdsm0138

Quote from: big g on September 23, 2017, 03:47:41 PM
Wow, I can only imagine how much water are in the glades.  They have to draw down the lake, because of the levee, so that means the glades have not peaked yet.  Our little paradise will be messed up for a long time.  At least we dodged a direct hit, and we have power!!!!!!! :( :( :(
Yup. Remember that culvert I said I was inspecting? The water levels are soo high in some areas, this is one of the ways they are trying to equalize the water levels and drainage.

And more importantly, thanks for the report. I remember going there and Taylor Creek as a kid to catch our messes of specks.

Sent from my SM-J700P using Tapatalk

"I'm a simple man, with simple pleasures." -Trevor Belmont

j102

Sorry to hear that. One nice fish though.

Deadeye

With the water as high as it is, there is no telling where the fish have moved into. For sure they are in places where fish have not been in years, following the rising water.

Riding along the Ally the water is high, not sure how high it normally is but where I could see over some of the dikes it was within 3-4 ft from coming over. The canals all looked really full and the ramps were mostly closed.

That was last week anyway.

Capt. BassinLou

Quote from: Deadeye on September 24, 2017, 08:18:31 AM
With the water as high as it is, there is no telling where the fish have moved into. For sure they are in places where fish have not been in years, following the rising water.

Riding along the Ally the water is high, not sure how high it normally is but where I could see over some of the dikes it was within 3-4 ft from coming over. The canals all looked really full and the ramps were mostly closed.

That was last week anyway.

I mentioned this to Big G in conversation yesterday. The canals along US 27 were ridiculous. Like you you observed Fred, the water is almost to the road in some places but the vegetation hides it. You can also see how much water is being pumped to the South. The Fall down here in South FL is shot, that goes without saying. My concern is Winter and Spring. Like I said before, we will have to wait and see.

SFL BassHunter

I saw the water line of the local lake I fished yesterday, it was easy to spot since there was dried up eel grass bunched up all around the lake. It had to be 4-5 feet higher than it was yesterday, and it was still about 2 feet higher than usual.
PB: 6lbs 5oz / 24.25 inches.
Rods/Reels Dobyns, 13 Fishing, Cabelas Arachnid, Daiwa Tatula CT, Tatula SVTW, Tatula Tactical, Tatula Type R
Florida Bass Fishing