My thoughts on Power Pro Maxcuatro Braid

Started by SFL BassHunter, September 24, 2017, 09:05:51 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

SFL BassHunter

Very few times have I specifically made a thread about a product that I disliked because of personal opinion and not liking a product for silly reasons. I rarely post a thread about a product I dislike, period. Unfortunately this is not one of those times. I know several people on here use Maxcuatro braid and haven't had any issues with it. Unfortunately I have.

I have been using Maxcuatro for a bit over 6 months now and have it on 2 reels.
The first one is 40lb maxcuatro on my Tatula SV. I choose 40lb because it's the diameter of 30lb regular powerpro and 30 is about as low as I go on a baitcaster. When I bought the braid I thought, man I can fit more line on my reel and have higher break strength! That's awesome! Sadly I've had 3 bad experiences in this time frame with the 40lb maxcuatro. 2 break offs while fishing a worm on bottom contact. Dragging it along, feeling a bite, reeling down to make sure it was a fish and setting the hook. Each time I looked at the end of the line to notice it looked like I had tried to cut the braid with a pair of scissors that just don't cut braid right. Another time in the everglades as my bait was dropping down the water column a fish took off with it. I set and again another line break on hookset.
Then the one that hurt the most, I had made my own sprinker frog and was out at my local park testing it out. A big bass came up behind the moving frog, stalking it like jaws, eventually it struck. I set the hook, and bye bye went my frog, and potentially a PB. So I thought, well maybe, just maybe I got a bad spool. It happens...though it's never happened with regular PP in the 2 years I have been using it. Still I left the line on the reel because I just wanted to like it so bad.

Then last night happened.

The Tatula CT has 65lb maxcuatro (diameter of 50lb regular) for frog fishing as a primary technique (which by the way I used to use 50lb regular for frog), and a bunch of other techniques as secondary techniques. This is because my reels get switched around on rods all the time since I bank fish. Depending on where I am going, what techniques I will be fishing that braid can start off being used for the frog, and end up bottom fishing with a big worm, or a jig.
I ended up fishing a uvibe and swimming it really slow. Just above the bottom of the lake. I could feel the weeds and some rocks. I caught 2 fish this way and lost one at the bank. On my last cast as the sun was down and it was time to go, I did the same thing, swimming it slow. Felt something hit the worm like a freight train, I set the hook and POP. The line snapped. Another break off on hookset.

That put me over the top. So this morning I took all my maxcuatro line off and went back to regular powerpro 40lb on the SV and 65lb on the CT.

It's a real shame because the line being a smaller diameter was great, and the stuff casts like a dream. Line digging was never an issue even on the 40lb which I thought would happen since I used to get a lot of line digging with 30lb regular pp and they are the same diameter. I liked everything about the line, except the break offs on hooksets.

I feel that this line frays much easier and faster than regular powerpro which is why I've had these break offs. I use a palomar knot for my braid, and have never had issues with my knots. Before I took the line off the reels, I also checked all my rods with a q tip. I slid the q tip in and around every guide. All my guides seem to be fine. So I'm thinking maxcuatro does an extra poor job around rock. I know braid isn't the best line to use around rock, but again regular power pro has not failed me the same way.
PB: 6lbs 5oz / 24.25 inches.
Rods/Reels Dobyns, 13 Fishing, Cabelas Arachnid, Daiwa Tatula CT, Tatula SVTW, Tatula Tactical, Tatula Type R
Florida Bass Fishing

caddyjoe77

stupid question....but could it be a bad spool from the factory?  I myself have not used max at all but just a thought. 
BeerMe

SFL BassHunter

Quote from: caddyjoe77 on September 24, 2017, 09:57:32 AM
stupid question....but could it be a bad spool from the factory?  I myself have not used max at all but just a thought.

I thought so, as all my issues had come from the 40lb spool. But then yesterday I used my 65lb braid for something other than frog fishing and it must have frayed and snapped on hookset just like the 40lb one.
So I'm done with it all lol.
Rods/Reels Dobyns, 13 Fishing, Cabelas Arachnid, Daiwa Tatula CT, Tatula SVTW, Tatula Tactical, Tatula Type R
Florida Bass Fishing

caddyjoe77

breaking at the knot or random places?

curious because I have only heard good stuff about max....
BeerMe

Capt. BassinLou

Sorry you have had several instances of bad experiences with MaxCuatro Rick. I used 65lb Max for a bit, and thankfully I didn't lose any fish due to line breakage. I was disappointed when I had to strip the line off my reel. (I had to strip the line off due to something I did, it wasn't the lines fault.) But like Caddy asked, wasn't line breaks or knot slippage?

SFL BassHunter

Quote from: caddyjoe77 on September 24, 2017, 01:24:40 PM
breaking at the knot or random places?

curious because I have only heard good stuff about max....

I am pretty sure it's not breaking at the knot. If it is, then I'm not sure what the deal is with it because it my knot hasn't changed.
I have hookset on a bunch of fish on my Tatula Type R that has 50lb regular pp and have had 0 failures within the same time frame that I've had 4 failures on the maxcuatro. It's definitely not something I was expecting from this line.

Quote from: Bassinlou on September 24, 2017, 01:32:45 PM
Sorry you have had several instances of bad experiences with MaxCuatro Rick. I used 65lb Max for a bit, and thankfully I didn't lose any fish due to line breakage. I was disappointed when I had to strip the line off my reel. (I had to strip the line off due to something I did, it wasn't the lines fault.) But like Caddy asked, wasn't line breaks or knot slippage?
It was definitely breaks and not slippage. Not sure 100% if the breakage is at the knot, or random places on the line though. I THINK it's not at the knot.
Florida Bass Fishing

Mike Cork

Without getting into all the details, my experience with Max is the same as yours rick. I had three separate spools and had very unexpected/explainable line breakages. Went back to regular PP and zero issues.

The max does cast like a dream and you get more on the spool but I never seen the smaller diameter matter in fish catches the failures were not worth the casting distance for me.

Fishing is more than just a hobby

Dobyns Rods - Monster Fishing Tackle
Cork's Reel Service

SFL BassHunter

Quote from: Mike Cork on September 24, 2017, 08:13:50 PM
Without getting into all the details, my experience with Max is the same as yours rick. I had three separate spools and had very unexpected/explainable line breakages. Went back to regular PP and zero issues.

The max does cast like a dream and you get more on the spool but I never seen the smaller diameter matter in fish catches the failures were not worth the casting distance for me.

Yeah, I didn't go to the maxcuatro because of fish catches. I went to it because I wanted to get more line in my reels. With certain applications on those Tatula reels I can easily hit backing (and I don't have a lot of backing) if I am not careful. The frog is one of those applications. My CT casts a frog so far and thats with the maxcuatro that I can see my backing. So we will see now that I jumped up to 65lb regular pp. Curious if my cast distance will suffer, OR I will hit backing a lot faster.
On the tatula sv, I went with maxcuatro also because of the shallower spool. Fitting more line in there was great. But not worth the headache of losing lures and fish. Now for a guy like you that fishes tournaments having break offs due to line or equipment is unacceptable. For me its a nuisance.
Florida Bass Fishing

Mike Cork

Use less backing?

Casting distance can't be as good, thinner line is just going to cast further.

Cork's Reel Service

DonM

Maybe this explains why I broke my line several times in the past year or so.  I do like the way the line performs, but it's not THAT much better.  I never equated the breaks with Quatro before, but it may be the reason.
DonM

SFL BassHunter

Quote from: Mike Cork on September 25, 2017, 07:09:18 AM
Use less backing?

Casting distance can't be as good, thinner line is just going to cast further.

lol if I use less backing I will have none.

Quote from: DonM on September 25, 2017, 09:05:20 AM
Maybe this explains why I broke my line several times in the past year or so.  I do like the way the line performs, but it's not THAT much better.  I never equated the breaks with Quatro before, but it may be the reason.
It's very possible.
Florida Bass Fishing

MattT

Cast great.  Had very bad luck on first spool I bought several break offs. I Was so pissed I mailed it in to manufacturer for a new spool.  2nd spool received and had one break off on a fish.  The line was frayed and I shoulda retied but it was dawn and I was lazy and couldn't see well.  But paid the price for it loosing a frog and a big fish.  All in all cast great. But not impressed with durability.

DonM

I had decided to change it out, but got lazy.  Yesterday I hooked a pretty good fish and my only thought was "DON'T BREAK".  :)
Fortunately the line held, even though the hook had been tied on a couple of months ago and never retied.  Fish was about 6 pounds.  I even swung it into the boat.
Then I retied!
DonM

Mike Cork

Cork's Reel Service

Pferox

I've never used the stuff, but based on my experiences with braids .......

A bad spool of line USUALLY will break off within the first few casts.

Abrasion related break offs usually look frayed like you described, Rick. I suspect it isn't as abrasion resistant as other braids, could be because of the thinness.  I see this kind of break periodically when fishing in shell beds and barnacles, with lighter braid.

If you have some fresh line left on the spool you can try some break tests with it to verify whether or not it is a bad spool or abrasion resistance.

Sorry for your frustration, I know it is an expensive way to learn about a line, your report here will help others.

Oh BTW, if you are seeing backing on casts you need to eliminate the backing, use the tape on the spool method and fill it with your braid.  Most of my smaller reels are that way because of all the long casts I get with them.

"If you think you are too small to be effective, you have never been in bed with a mosquito" - African Proverb.  Jim

DonM

Quote from: Mike Cork on September 27, 2017, 07:28:20 AM
And might where was that caught  :-*

BBH.  Had to work for 'em though.  Scattered trees.  WM Red Brush Hog. 
DonM

SFL BassHunter

Quote from: Pferox on September 27, 2017, 08:15:49 AM
I've never used the stuff, but based on my experiences with braids .......

A bad spool of line USUALLY will break off within the first few casts.

Abrasion related break offs usually look frayed like you described, Rick. I suspect it isn't as abrasion resistant as other braids, could be because of the thinness.  I see this kind of break periodically when fishing in shell beds and barnacles, with lighter braid.

If you have some fresh line left on the spool you can try some break tests with it to verify whether or not it is a bad spool or abrasion resistance.

Sorry for your frustration, I know it is an expensive way to learn about a line, your report here will help others.

Oh BTW, if you are seeing backing on casts you need to eliminate the backing, use the tape on the spool method and fill it with your braid.  Most of my smaller reels are that way because of all the long casts I get with them.

Yeah, what I did was reduce the amount of backing as much as I could before adding the 65lb regular pp. So lets see how that works out for me. I suspect I probably won't get to the backing with the wider diameter braid on there. My cast distance may suffer some but I rather have slightly shorter casts with a product I know can bring a fish in.
Florida Bass Fishing

Pferox

When it comes to braid and abrasion size matters and thicker is better.

If your targeted fish is 20 lbs, and you are using 30lb line it will quickly abrade down to below the desired strength.  Start out with 60 lb braid and it gets enough abrasion to bring it down to half strength you are still above the weight of your fish.

On the same train of thought, two braids of the same strength but different thickness.  The thicker braid will take longer to loose enough material to be weaker.

Hope that makes sense.
"If you think you are too small to be effective, you have never been in bed with a mosquito" - African Proverb.  Jim

SFL BassHunter

Quote from: Pferox on September 28, 2017, 08:08:49 AM
When it comes to braid and abrasion size matters and thicker is better.

If your targeted fish is 20 lbs, and you are using 30lb line it will quickly abrade down to below the desired strength.  Start out with 60 lb braid and it gets enough abrasion to bring it down to half strength you are still above the weight of your fish.

On the same train of thought, two braids of the same strength but different thickness.  The thicker braid will take longer to loose enough material to be weaker.

Hope that makes sense.

I think the thickness of line relates to most lines as well. I've used mono that is a thinner diameter than their competition and have noticed the abrasion resistance suffers and minimizes it's so called break strength. It's a struggle to find the right balance between diameter for the same of catching more fish, or cast distance and diameter to help improve break strength or abrasion resistance.

Florida Bass Fishing

MattT

Maxquatro let me down again  this weekend.   Line broke at the spool on a cast during a tournament.   2 spools with multiple failures.    Line hasn't been on that spool for maybe a little over a month.  When I Pay more I expect more.  I'm moving on.

hubcap91

Looks like I'll be sticking to regular power pro. Thanks for the heads up. I already wasted money on what I thought was a good deal on Spiderwire...I was wrong.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

SFL BassHunter

Quote from: hubcap91 on October 02, 2017, 02:01:52 AM
Looks like I'll be sticking to regular power pro. Thanks for the heads up. I already wasted money on what I thought was a good deal on Spiderwire...I was wrong.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

Yeah in my opinion the best deal on spiderwire, is leaving it on the shelf.
Florida Bass Fishing

basss

Glad I read this, I just put it on my shimano. I'm going to keep an eye on breakage after reading this.
1995 Gheenoe Highsider
2018 12' Bote HD Paddleboard

SFL BassHunter

Quote from: basss on October 04, 2017, 06:36:55 PM
Glad I read this, I just put it on my shimano. I'm going to keep an eye on breakage after reading this.
Good luck, I hope you have a good experience with it.
Florida Bass Fishing

basss

Thanks. Sorry you didn't have a good experience.  First sign of trouble, I'm doing what you did.
1995 Gheenoe Highsider
2018 12' Bote HD Paddleboard