I know it is short notice but I want your opinion

Started by Kris, September 26, 2017, 07:37:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kris

This afternoon I have a chance for a deal on another fishing rod for the arsenal. It has come down to the following:

Duckett Ghost
Lew's TP1

I'm leaning toward the Lew's TP1 because of the Microwave Guides. I have them on my Tom's Custom spinning rod and really curious on how they work on a baitcaster.
The Duckett Ghost on the other hand looks to have stainless guides with no ceramic inserts. I am sure this was done to get it down into the $100 range.

Opinion?
Reservoir fishing in MD, Vietnam Vet, Retired
Ouachita 16' Model B, Minn Kota, Lowrance, Raymarine
Moderator - Maryland Fishing Reports and Chat

Captsteve

I have the Lews TP1 in a bait caster it is my favorite rod and plan on getting more of them.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Steve
Headed for the Lake

Kris

Captsteve

now I am no pro but I do love that rod.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Steve
Headed for the Lake

Kris

I am not a pro either. I don't even fish local tournaments anymore. I know I really like my Tom's Custom Rod with Microwave guides and have always wanted to try them with a baitcaster. With my Custom casting is so much different. I really have to watch myself. Hoping the baitcaster is the same way.

Mike Cork

Do some research on the Ducket Ghost breakage issues. I know the old ducket rods were very easily broken and I seem to remember the Ghost is no different. They are very thin walled and any nick or scratch can result in a snap.

That said I have no personal experience on either so I can't help.  :(

Fishing is more than just a hobby

Dobyns Rods - Monster Fishing Tackle
Cork's Reel Service

Kris

Kris

It's official, I am now the proud owner of a Lew's TP1 MHF casting rod. I was unpacking some these the other day at work and had wanted to try one out. These have the casting Microwave Guides and I have been real happy with my spinning rod that has them. Just ordered a big spool of P-Line CXX, 12lb in the 600 yard spool to replace some of these other lines next Season. Going to be looking for some braid in 15-20 for spinning and 20-30 for casting next year also. I think I might try out one and if I like it, stick with it. I stuck with Trilene since I started bass fishing but it's time to move on. Going to work and pick up my new rod before I start my day. See ya'll later.

SteveTX

Quote from: Mike Cork on September 26, 2017, 08:54:02 AM
Do some research on the Ducket Ghost breakage issues. I know the old ducket rods were very easily broken and I seem to remember the Ghost is no different. They are very thin walled and any nick or scratch can result in a snap.

That said I have no personal experience on either so I can't help.  :(

Funny this came up. Last Saturday I was at my local tackle shop with a friend. He purchased a rod and reel and was discussing the warranty with the store owner. Her words were, We warranty all rods we sell except one brand Ducket! She said they get more broke Ducket rods coming back than any other brand and the worst part is Ducket is horrible about honoring the warranty. She went on to say when the supply was gone there would be no more in the store.
And no my friend wasn't buying a Ducket or even mentioning a Ducket.  :o

To the OP I think you made a great choice.  :)

Princeton_Man

I own a couple Duckett Micro Magics (one a spin rig) and a Lew's TP. I think the Micro Magic was a step up from the Ghost. I wish they were all three Lew's TPs. One of the the Ducketts has become a guest rod, the other a backup in case of a big failure. I'm not really knocking Duckett, just not for me. Lew's feel lighter and better balanced.
Stratos 285 XL Pro 150 Evinrude ETEC

Dobyns Rods - LSCR Club