Ultimate Bass ULTIMATE BASS | BASS FISHING CLASSIFIED ADS | CONTACT US    

Bass Fishing information about bass boats, tackle, fishing rods, baitcasters and other reels all about bass fishing.
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Tapatalk should be back up. Please report issues -->here<--. Thank you!

Page Down
FREE TACKLE EVERY WEEK

Bass Anglers Magazine - The Best bass fishing magazine on the rack! Subscribe Today and Catch More Bass

NuTech Lures

Doc Irv Custom Baits

Life Vantage

Get Bit Outdoors

Fishing Frenzy Tackle

Bass Anglers Magazine - The Best bass fishing magazine on the rack! Subscribe Today and Catch More Bass

Bass Boats For Sale Free Classified Ads

Laurie Cork
Ph. (318)347-7380
You can Email Me Here

Mike Cork
Ph. (318)560-9827

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: Daiwa Tula 100 HSL?  (Read 748 times)

TWBryan

• Smallmouth
  • Baby Bass
Daiwa Tula 100 HSL?
« on: September 26, 2017, 09:15:12 AM »

Looking at a Daiwa Tatula 100HSL left-hand, I can get it for $90. Is it worth the money? Secondly ,the only reason I would buy a modern reel is if was easier to cast with and easy to set up for no backlashes. Does this version of the tatula qualify?

Feel a little queasy thinking of spending this much money on a reel,but I have about $80 in my 4600's ($30 reel,$50 upgrades) ,so not out of the question. Just want to make certain what I'm getting has the features I require.

Enjoy yourself now,for you'll be a long time dead.

rickdelprado

• Charter Member
  • SFL BassHunter
Re: Daiwa Tula 100 HSL?
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2017, 09:54:18 AM »

The Tatula 100 is a great reel. Just know that it is BULKY. It is a big reel and even though it sits low like the other Daiwas it's not comfortable for folks with small or normal size hands. I have large hands and it doesn't bother me.

I haven't met a reel that I couldn't backlash yet, SO all I can say is, my Tatula's backlash and overrun a lot less than other reels I have owned. The brake system is VERY good. If you do a lot of pitching they are excellent for that, and they also cast a country mile.

If I was going to make another reel purchase and this is coming from someone who has a Tatula 100 Type R (Bulky Frame), Tatula CT (Compact), Tatula SV (Compact) and Tatula Tactical (Bulky), I would go with the Tat CT for these reasons affordable + size + performance unless I could get an SV close to the CT price range.

If a large reel doesn't bother you, then go for it.
But if you prefer a smaller reel then I would search for a Tatula CT in the price range you are looking in or close to it.

Just my personal opinion on it.
This is so that I can remember my personal bests: Weight 6lbs 5oz / Length 24.25 inches.

LgMouthGambler

• Charter Member
  • Shimano, Daiwa, HawgTech, Dobyns, LSCR, Megabass
« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2017, 10:55:03 AM »

You can get the CT for some really good prices. Smaller than the OG Tats, and built better. The Magforce braking system is worlds better to have a curve in the process.
My wife says she is gonna leave me if I go fishing one more time........lord how I will miss that woman.

TWBryan

• Smallmouth
  • Baby Bass
« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2017, 12:38:50 PM »

Thanks for replying LMG :) , I am looking at two different reels the Daiwa tatula and a Shimano citica. When you say the ct version is better built what do you mean?

TWBryan

• Smallmouth
  • Baby Bass
« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2017, 01:05:14 PM »

Located a Daiwa Tatula CT 100HS, for about $90. Some sellers were selling new shimano Citicas for $10 cheaper,but all the sellers were brand new with 2-3 sales and all had different names selling the same citicas. Not sure I want to buy from them...

Going to do some more looking before I break my wallet..

LgMouthGambler

• Charter Member
« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2017, 01:22:46 PM »

Thanks for replying LMG :) , I am looking at two different reels the Daiwa tatula and a Shimano citica. When you say the ct version is better built what do you mean?

Ergonomics are better. Components are a bit better built. Braking profile is a bit better. Weight is down. If you are looking between the 2, the Tatula CT is gonna be the better of the 2. The Citica has the old SVS Infinity brake system which is a pain due to you have to keep it lubed often. The Tatula is all external brake settings.
My wife says she is gonna leave me if I go fishing one more time........lord how I will miss that woman.

rickdelprado

• Charter Member
  • SFL BassHunter
« Reply #6 on: September 26, 2017, 01:25:20 PM »

Located a Daiwa Tatula CT 100HS, for about $90. Some sellers were selling new shimano Citicas for $10 cheaper,but all the sellers were brand new with 2-3 sales and all had different names selling the same citicas. Not sure I want to buy from them...

Going to do some more looking before I break my wallet..
It sounds like you are looking on Ebay. If so a reputable seller is sportsmansoutfitters
They also have a .com but sometimes have certain items on ebay that they don't have on the site. They also have cheaper prices sometimes on ebay. I've bought 2 reel and a rod from them.
Just thought I would throw that out there since I know buying from a reputable source can be hard to find.
This is so that I can remember my personal bests: Weight 6lbs 5oz / Length 24.25 inches.

TWBryan

• Smallmouth
  • Baby Bass
« Reply #7 on: September 26, 2017, 01:40:21 PM »

Thanks LMG, I've located a tatula ct for a decent price.

Rick,thanks I'll check them. I found a seller on ebay for the Tatula,I was looking at the shimano citica to compare it to,as it's a pretty solid reel,has a good reputation. Comes down to it I'll go with what is available,affordable and a decent bet. ;) :)

rickdelprado

• Charter Member
  • SFL BassHunter
« Reply #8 on: September 26, 2017, 01:43:26 PM »

Thanks LMG, I've located a tatula ct for a decent price.

Rick,thanks I'll check them. I found a seller on ebay for the Tatula,I was looking at the shimano citica to compare it to,as it's a pretty solid reel,has a good reputation. Comes down to it I'll go with what is available,affordable and a decent bet. ;) :)

I posted on the other thread. But I will post again. americanlegacyfishing has the curado I for 119. BUT they only have a 6:3 gear ratio available. The 7gear is on backorder.

TWBryan

• Smallmouth
  • Baby Bass
« Reply #9 on: September 26, 2017, 01:57:20 PM »

Rick,thanks Again. :) The Daiwa sounds like such a nice reel,but I am concerned about the pot metal gears FFF found in that Daiwa. I'd like a nice modern reel,and the Tatula has a sturdy aluminum frame. How would I know if it had poor quality parts? It now feels a bit like I'm gambling.  :-\

LgMouthGambler

• Charter Member
« Reply #10 on: September 26, 2017, 02:04:04 PM »

Rick,thanks Again. :) The Daiwa sounds like such a nice reel,but I am concerned about the pot metal gears FFF found in that Daiwa. I'd like a nice modern reel,and the Tatula has a sturdy aluminum frame. How would I know if it had poor quality parts? It now feels a bit like I'm gambling.  :-\

Pot metal gears?!  ~roflmao

LgMouthGambler

• Charter Member
« Reply #11 on: September 26, 2017, 02:07:38 PM »

Lets get something straight. Most reel parts are made by sublet companies and are mass produced. Lots of reels are damn near the same crap. Shimano, Malaysia...Daiwa, Thailand. Unless its an old skool Shimano thats still made in Japan, or Diawa made in Japan, its all the same garbage. And even the ones from Japan have mass produced parts, but usually some critical parts that are in there that have tighter tolerances for better performance.

TWBryan

• Smallmouth
  • Baby Bass
« Reply #12 on: September 26, 2017, 02:19:52 PM »

LMG,Meant no offense I am reading FFF's thread and he does show a daiwa reel with a very poor looking cog wheel. Are you saying that's a chinese copy?

When you say all the reels are made by contractors hired by the companies to produce reels for them,does that mean the modern reels are all made with questionable QC? And if they are all made by the same contractors,why pay for a $90 Daiwa,when I can get an Abu Garcia Orra or Revo cheaper?

I've stuck with Ambassadeurs that are made in Sweden,they are a simple strong reel. They work,but I wanted a modern reel that has some actual advantages (improved casting control,more ball bearings), it's beginning to sound like the modern reels are all rubbish.   

LgMouthGambler

• Charter Member
« Reply #13 on: September 26, 2017, 02:34:09 PM »

Oh that fool.. ~roflmao

No, its not pot metal, and whats a cog wheel in a reel?

Parts for the reels are subbed out, and Im talking internal parts.

Now there are companies like BPS, ABU, Lews, Quantum, 13, and such that buy their reels "made to order" from Korean OEM companies. Thats a totally different story.

Your old Abus are on a totally different level, and they dont make them like that anymore.

Im not saying that all modern reels are "rubbish". They are certainly a lot closer to the overall "spectrum" now a days, until you hit the higher end Shimanos and Daiwas.

TWBryan

• Smallmouth
  • Baby Bass
« Reply #14 on: September 26, 2017, 05:11:57 PM »

LMG, I hope you'll forgive my confusion. As for cog wheel,I'm referring to what FFF called it. 

So basically unless I pay a certain amount any reel I purchase will be roughly the same quality as any in the price range?

It's a bit like the reel makers thrive on confusion. Everytime I consider a reel I discover it has a "family" and I must learn it's geneology to know which one to buy. There isn't a scoreboard sitting about to tell me which has which features really.

Perhaps I'll put off the purchase until I get this mess figured out. :(

Bassinlou

• CM Forum Staff
  • Mr. Frogger
« Reply #15 on: September 26, 2017, 06:31:42 PM »

TW...  buy the reel that YOU want. If you maintain your reel and take good care of it, it will provide you years of good service.
Reels: Metanium,Scorpion's,Curado's,& Daiwa SV103XS
Rods: LSCR's (Point Blank) Dobyn & St Croix
Main Fishing Holes: Everglades & Lake Okeechobee

rickdelprado

• Charter Member
  • SFL BassHunter
« Reply #16 on: September 26, 2017, 07:04:36 PM »

TW...  buy the reel that YOU want. If you maintain your reel and take good care of it, it will provide you years of good service.

I agree.

zippyduck

• Charter Member
  • Daiwa, LSCR, Dobyns, Nutech, Keitech, Yamamoto
« Reply #17 on: September 26, 2017, 07:17:54 PM »

Sound advice.

I have Daiwas and Abus and they all have served me well. But saying that my Daiwas are what I pick up most of the time.
If you can save a little more and do some searching the Tatula sv103 is a home run for the money.
I have handled Shimanos and you won't be sorry with them either.
If you need me I'm outdoors.

LgMouthGambler

• Charter Member
« Reply #18 on: September 26, 2017, 09:13:47 PM »

LMG, I hope you'll forgive my confusion. As for cog wheel,I'm referring to what FFF called it. 

So basically unless I pay a certain amount any reel I purchase will be roughly the same quality as any in the price range?

It's a bit like the reel makers thrive on confusion. Everytime I consider a reel I discover it has a "family" and I must learn it's geneology to know which one to buy. There isn't a scoreboard sitting about to tell me which has which features really.

Perhaps I'll put off the purchase until I get this mess figured out. :(
How bout this.
1 what are your intentions for the reel, applications?
2 what kind of braking system you used to, centrifugal or magnetic?
3 what have you been looking at, and whats your price range?

4 like stated, any reel now a days will give you years of enjoyment when used properly and maintained regularly.

I have alot of experience with different reels. ALOT, and the boys on this site have seen many come and go through my hands. Feel free to ask me any questions youd like. Im always willing to lend a hand in the reel department.

<")))>{

hughesjasonk

• Charter Member
  • THE BAD GUY
« Reply #19 on: September 26, 2017, 09:18:39 PM »

Looking at a Daiwa Tatula 100HSL left-hand, I can get it for $90. Is it worth the money? Secondly ,the only reason I would buy a modern reel is if was easier to cast with and easy to set up for no backlashes. Does this version of the tatula qualify?

Feel a little queasy thinking of spending this much money on a reel,but I have about $80 in my 4600's ($30 reel,$50 upgrades) ,so not out of the question. Just want to make certain what I'm getting has the features I require.
It is very worth it.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

Mike Cork

• Father Time
  • Admin
  • Get the Net it's a Hawg
    • Ultimate Bass
« Reply #20 on: September 27, 2017, 07:23:48 AM »

Wow, I've got thirty years experience rebuilding/repairing/supertuning and cleaning all brands of reels. I've owned hundreds of different models and brands..... you all got me thinking I need to throw them all out and start over  ~roflmao

TWBryan, the best advice I can give is to put a bait (without hooks) in your pocket, take your rod to the tackle store. Put the reels you are looking at on your rod, and see what it feels like. Everyone is different. I am a die hard Shimano fan, this is mainly because they did and still do fit my hand the best. Some places will put line on it for you, if they will. Take that bait and make a few casts or pitches. (BPS usually has one or two with line under the counter).

Your thoughts on reel genealogy are absolutely correct, every company has had duds. Or series that are better suited for a specific technique. An example in the Shimano Curado line is the D model. It was heavy, bulky and has a bushing under the crank shaft. Everyone hates this version, but the bushing has not failed people and the bigger spool of this model makes it an awesome frog reel.

Worrying about the internal components will drive you crazy. As has been mentioned, any of the new stuff will provide years, if not a lifetime, of service if maintained. You obviously know how to maintain your equipment. So get the reel that has the line capacity you need, the gear ratio that you want and bottom line is comfortable to your hand. Then take care of it and you'll be very happy with your purchase. I hate Daiwas period. They feel awkward in my hands and I personally like centrifugal braking much better than magnetic. ( centrifugal is a pain to many because you have to open the reel to make adjustments ((this is fixed in newer model Shimano)) magnetic feels funny to me and the magnets will come loose over time ((you just have to glue them back in)). But Daiwa is a great reel.

If I can be any help just let me know. If I had to recommend one reel to you it would be the Shimano Curado E model. Bullet proof, simple internal design for maintenance and it will last you a lifetime while giving you all the benefits you are looking for.

Good luck in your purchase, I'm sure no matter what brand or reel you get you will be very happy.
Fishing is more than just a hobby

Dobyns Rods - Monster Fishing Tackle
Cork's Reel Service

LgMouthGambler

• Charter Member
« Reply #21 on: September 27, 2017, 08:24:57 AM »

Wow, I've got thirty years experience rebuilding/repairing/supertuning and cleaning all brands of reels. I've owned hundreds of different models and brands..... you all got me thinking I need to throw them all out and start over  ~roflmao

Get some Zebco 33s and be done with it.  ~roflmao

Mike Cork

• Father Time
  • Admin
  • Get the Net it's a Hawg
    • Ultimate Bass
« Reply #22 on: September 27, 2017, 08:38:57 AM »

That's all I need anyway :-* A reel is a tool, it just takes up line. :-*
Fishing is more than just a hobby

Dobyns Rods - Monster Fishing Tackle
Cork's Reel Service

TWBryan

• Smallmouth
  • Baby Bass
« Reply #23 on: September 28, 2017, 12:53:36 PM »

I didn't think my topic would draw this many responses. Surprised and gratified.  :shocking: :)

Bassinlou,the issue is that I don't know which modern reel is built well and reliable.

Rick,located sportsmansoutfitter.com,but no ct's in stock.

Zippyduck, Tatula sv103,I can look,but I often find that there are a lot of variations. Located a used citica,with 2 ball bearings,aren't they supposed to have 5? It's a bit confusing...

LMG, application wise I want a fast reel to run spinnerbaits quickly. All the reels I've dealt with have centrifugal brakes. I've been looking at Daiwa tatulas and Shimano citicas. My price range limits at $100.

Thanks Jason :)

Mr.Cork,thanks for chiming in.  Since I am poor I tend to buy things that last,it's simply a better investment. The Ambassadeurs I own are ,as said,simple strong reels that can be re-built and upgraded. I wanted a reel that has a faster retrieve and was a little easier to use,better cast control through magnetics or advanced braking systems. I will look into a Shimano Curado E, no idea if it's within my budget,I'm a long way from rich. Thanks again.

I still have a zebco 33, there was another spincast reel called the 2020 (I think) that I liked better. The 33 is a better bet than the plastic cased ones ,I've seen them self-dis-assemble when a big fish hit..

LgMouthGambler

• Charter Member
« Reply #24 on: September 28, 2017, 04:00:07 PM »

Your best bet its to find a Tatula CT in a 7 gear for your needs.
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up

Monster Fishing Tactle is the best place to buy your tackle needs Check them out online

When Bass Fishing Is More than Just a Hobby - Dobyns Rods

The most innovative and technologically advanced fishing rod blanks on the planet

Get Chomped at Mega Chomp Lure Company and Get The Best Baits for your Money

QUICK LINKS
UB Home
Main Forum
Welcome
Dock Talk
Techniques
Rods and Reels
Tackle Box
Catch of the Day
UB Contests
Tips and Ideas
Sponsor Connection
Fishing Reports
Charter Members Only
Bass Fishing Classified Ads
Boats 4 Sale

BECOME A
CHARTER MEMBER
SUPPORT UB

Find out about the contests before everyone else and know about the latest news first

Page Up

Page created in 0.069 seconds with 34 queries.