Ultimate Bass ULTIMATE BASS | BASS FISHING CLASSIFIED ADS | CONTACT US    

Bass Fishing information about bass boats, tackle, fishing rods, baitcasters and other reels all about bass fishing.
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Tapatalk should be back up. Please report issues -->here<--. Thank you!

Page Down
FREE TACKLE EVERY WEEK

Bass Anglers Magazine - The Best bass fishing magazine on the rack! Subscribe Today and Catch More Bass

NuTech Lures

Doc Irv Custom Baits

Life Vantage

Get Bit Outdoors

Fishing Frenzy Tackle

Bass Anglers Magazine - The Best bass fishing magazine on the rack! Subscribe Today and Catch More Bass

Bass Boats For Sale Free Classified Ads

Laurie Cork
Ph. (318)347-7380
You can Email Me Here

Mike Cork
Ph. (318)560-9827

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Dobyns and Diawa two months later Review  (Read 342 times)

Bud Kennedy

• Charter Member
  • PFD's and KILL SWITCHES SAVE LIVES
Dobyns and Diawa two months later Review
« on: September 26, 2017, 07:32:00 PM »

A couple of months ago I acquired two Diawa TWSV103 reels and also picked up a Dobyns Fury 735C.  Agreed that these are not high end products but by no means are they low end either. 

After a couple months of use, I wanted to give an update on how I feel about these products after having tested them in battle conditions.

The Diawa reels TWSV103HS and TWSV103XS have just been an awesome addition to my reel arsenal.  Like others have said the casting distance is really good but best of all the SV spool has essentially eliminated all the problems I was having with backlashes.  on the HS, I have been using only Sufix Elite Mono 12.  and on the XS I have been using Power Pro 30.  The way both reels return the line to the spool after a cast is a thing of beauty.  The line lays perfectly on the spool with no loops or overlaps.  I could not be more pleased.  there have been some differences in the two reels and I must say that the HS appears to be a little more solid than the XS.  Currently the XS is starting to feel a little loose to a point of almost a rattle when retrieving.  This is not due to spool tension but appears to be coming from the internal gearing.  This is not a show stopper but I believe bears watching as the reels continue to get use.  The HS has not demonstrated this trait at all and still feels as like it did when new.  Both reels excel when it comes to changing baits or even presentation styles.  Adjustments are quick and easy with not guess work required.  A benefit that I spoke of in another post is the accuracy that both reels have provided.  I don't know if it is a confidence thing but clearly I can put the lure anywhere I need to and that is a significant change for me.  I still give the reels my highest recommendation so far.

The Dobyns 735C has not disappointed either.  The rod does its job and I have noticed that it is particularly lethal when making a hook set.  This rod will flat set a hook and provides very solid control of the fish once they are hooked.  In fairness I have not hooked into anything of any size and am looking forward to giving it a solid test at Santee in a couple weeks followed by Guntersville at the end of October.  The reel seat has provided a solid foundation for the reels and I really like the guides on this rod.  Much to my surprise the rod is much quieter when slinging braid than most of my other rods and I like that.  The 7'3" does provide a bit of a problem for me with regards to laydown space on my deck but that is not an issue with the rod.  I think except for the Guntersville deal I would most likely get a 705 for the next rod just because of the size compatibility with my deck.  The cork handle feels good even though I really like winn grips better.  This just becomes a matter of personal preference. 

Bottom line is that both products have turned out to be great purchases and well worth the treatment required for the Monkey bite.
« Last Edit: September 26, 2017, 09:01:42 PM by Bud Kennedy »

rickdelprado

• Charter Member
  • SFL BassHunter
Re: Dobyns and Diawa two months later Review
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2017, 08:36:35 PM »

Thanks for the review Bud!

Using the Fury for your frogging right? If so how do you feel about it's weight?

This is so that I can remember my personal bests: Weight 6lbs 5oz / Length 24.25 inches.

Bud Kennedy

• Charter Member
« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2017, 08:56:35 PM »

Rick, the weight does not seem to be any problems since the balance is so good.  I would have to say that weight has not been an issue.  I do believe however that my LSCR is better balanced but then again it is a different category of rod entirely and I don't think you can compare the two.  For sure I could fish the Dobyns all day without fatigue.

LgMouthGambler

• Charter Member
  • Shimano, Daiwa, HawgTech, Dobyns, LSCR, Megabass
« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2017, 09:18:30 PM »

Bud, sounds like you are in need of a relubing of the gears. Daiwa uses a thin grease from the factory on those. When I get to Guntersville Ill regrease the gear sets on both reels. Rock will be bringing his reel stuff, as I let him in on a few LMG secrets, so Ill work a little magic for ya.

<")))>{
My wife says she is gonna leave me if I go fishing one more time........lord how I will miss that woman.

Bud Kennedy

• Charter Member
« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2017, 09:27:02 PM »

Bud, sounds like you are in need of a relubing of the gears. Daiwa uses a thin grease from the factory on those. When I get to Guntersville Ill regrease the gear sets on both reels. Rock will be bringing his reel stuff, as I let him in on a few LMG secrets, so Ill work a little magic for ya.

<")))>{

Sounds good, I appreciate the offer.

rickdelprado

• Charter Member
  • SFL BassHunter
« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2017, 06:00:24 AM »

Oh ok cool.

I was curious because I find my Savvy to be a bit heavy when using it for more than a few hours even though it is perfectly balanced. It is the heaviest rod I use currently. Interestingly enough, it is still my favorite in all other aspects.
This is so that I can remember my personal bests: Weight 6lbs 5oz / Length 24.25 inches.

Mike Cork

• Father Time
  • Admin
  • Get the Net it's a Hawg
    • Ultimate Bass
« Reply #6 on: September 27, 2017, 07:31:32 AM »

Great reviews Bud, thank you :toot:
Fishing is more than just a hobby

Dobyns Rods - Monster Fishing Tackle
Cork's Reel Service

LgMouthGambler

• Charter Member
  • Shimano, Daiwa, HawgTech, Dobyns, LSCR, Megabass
« Reply #7 on: September 27, 2017, 08:23:54 AM »

Oh ok cool.

I was curious because I find my Savvy to be a bit heavy when using it for more than a few hours even though it is perfectly balanced. It is the heaviest rod I use currently. Interestingly enough, it is still my favorite in all other aspects.

Thats why I like the 705 for the froggin. Shorter to help with the balance, but still a ton of balls.
My wife says she is gonna leave me if I go fishing one more time........lord how I will miss that woman.

rickdelprado

• Charter Member
  • SFL BassHunter
« Reply #8 on: September 27, 2017, 08:46:58 AM »

Thats why I like the 705 for the froggin. Shorter to help with the balance, but still a ton of balls.

Makes sense.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Monster Fishing Tactle is the best place to buy your tackle needs Check them out online

When Bass Fishing Is More than Just a Hobby - Dobyns Rods

The most innovative and technologically advanced fishing rod blanks on the planet

Get Chomped at Mega Chomp Lure Company and Get The Best Baits for your Money

QUICK LINKS
UB Home
Main Forum
Welcome
Dock Talk
Techniques
Rods and Reels
Tackle Box
Catch of the Day
UB Contests
Tips and Ideas
Sponsor Connection
Fishing Reports
Charter Members Only
Bass Fishing Classified Ads
Boats 4 Sale

BECOME A
CHARTER MEMBER
SUPPORT UB

Find out about the contests before everyone else and know about the latest news first

Page Up

Page created in 0.068 seconds with 34 queries.