New Boat Check-Up

Started by Thornback, September 27, 2017, 07:50:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Thornback

Was thinking about this today when the subject came up about mechanics test driving a car after repairs are made. I purchased my 175 SE Bass Tracker back in 2005. The dealer told me to bring it back after a certain time and they would go over the rig to check everything out. They said the cost to me would be $275 and they would need the boat on a Monday and I could pick it up on a Friday. I thought the fee was outlandish after paying $15,000 for the rig. Also there was no way I was going to leave my boat with them for all that time. I never took my boat back and in the past 12 years it has never been in a shop for a repair (I have done small repairs myself such as water pump, fuel filter, oil change, foot lube change, and shaft seals). I was wondering if others have had the same experience from a dealer wanting to do a 5-day follow-up on their new purchase. Is this normal or was the dealer jerking me around?

Bud Kennedy

Certainly not normal and in my opinion he is either jerking you around or he thinks his time is more valuable than yours.  Since you do your own maintenance I doubt they can tell you anything you don't already know.

Princeton_Man

I don't know if yours is/was something like this or not; I re-powered in 2015, my first scheduled service was 300 hours or 3 years. It's due to go in by May 2018. The scheduled service includes new fuel filters, water pump, plugs, etc. The parts kit for the 300 hour service is $300-$350 depending on where it comes from.

My warranty period was 6 years and if I don't want to void the warranty, I need to perform the service or have it performed. Evinrude will accept my receipts as proof of service but I'm going to let my dealer perform the service because he is well trained, sharp, and honest. Jack always goes above and beyond as well as being very fair to his customers.

The service is also recorded on the computer's history logs.
Stratos 285 XL Pro 150 Evinrude ETEC

Dobyns Rods - LSCR Club

Mike Cork

Around here you have to take your boat in to show commitment. It will take up to two weeks for them to get to it. I have a mechanic that I work with that gives me an appointment and I bring it in and he works it immediately.

Fishing is more than just a hobby

Dobyns Rods - Monster Fishing Tackle
Cork's Reel Service

Oldfart9999

Quote from: Mike Cork on September 27, 2017, 08:36:38 AM
Around here you have to take your boat in to show commitment. It will take up to two weeks for them to get to it. I have a mechanic that I work with that gives me an appointment and I bring it in and he works it immediately.

The best way to do normal maintenance to keep the warranty in effect.
Rodney
Old Fishermen never die, their rods just go limp.

Thornback

I felt that the dealer should have given me the check-up as a courtesy, no charge. It was in his interest to check out a new rig after just a short use so he could prevent a major warranty repair. I also felt he wanted my boat for a week so he could either use it for a fishing trip or he would leisurely check it out between other jobs. Once when I wanted to trade-up for another new rig the same dealer checked out my boat in about 2 hours. No way would I leave my boat Monday thru Friday for a checkup. 

Oldfart9999

It sounds like you don't trust him, I'd find another dealer.
Rodney
Old Fishermen never die, their rods just go limp.

Thornback

He lost out when I didn't trade with him for the second time on another new boat. Long story, but in short he tried to switch prices on me. No way to operate a business. I did find another dealer.

cojab

Crazy stuff.
I get a dealer wanting to be paid for the check up and parts but having to take your boat in and leave it for two weeks???? Sure, I guess. Give me a loaner to use during that time!

Sounds like there is plenty of business to justify someone opening a shop or dealership in the boating industry if there is a two week backlog on getting a pretty simple check up done.
TTK has spoken.

dMatey

Those sounds some desperate moves to make a sale.

SteveTX

I don't know so much about new dealers but the independent boat shops around here if you hit them at the wrong time you could be on a month long list. I could see a busy small dealership getting swamped. But maybe he thought you didn't use it during the week and he was trying to work it in where he could. Hoping it wouldn't throw off other scheduled jobs? I'm just guessing but again I can see it being legit on him having it at his disposal to pull it in on a moments notice during the week vs scheduling another appointment he may have already over booked and was hoping he would find the time in between jobs during the week.  

Thornback

But years later when I was talking trade with them they said they needed to check-out my boat so they could offer me a trade-in price. I took the boat over and they took 2 hours to check it out. So why had they wanted my boat for a week to do a new boat inspection? Plus they wanted to charge me. In contrast when I purchased a new truck the dealer told me to drive it a week and bring it back with any complaints. I did and they took care of my complaints while I waited. No charge.

SteveTX

I don't know it does sound like something may be not right I was just thinking there is a small chance it was all explainable. I agree the time to do it and the cost seem out of wack.

Thornback

Quote from: SteveTX on October 04, 2017, 07:50:14 AM
I don't know it does sound like something may be not right I was just thinking there is a small chance it was all explainable. I agree the time to do it and the cost seem out of wack.
That is my reason for posting -- I was wondering if anyone else have experienced the same thing when they purchased a new rig.

Deadeye

Not a boat, but I bought a new motorcycle in the fall of 2003. The salesman told me to make sure I brought it back at 1000 miles to get the 1st service done. He said after that it was up to me whether I brought it in or did the work myself.

The Service Manager told me the same thing. I asked why and they reply I got from both was that after 1000 miles anything that might work loose had and the valves would of set and other things like that that they needed to go over and check and re-set as needed.

I did and then did again when I bought another one new in 2006. Both lasted well and ran great with no issues. And yes they charged me to do it.

There could have been a real good reason for it, if you had asked.

Thornback

Quote from: Deadeye on October 25, 2017, 08:30:41 AM
There could have been a real good reason for it, if you had asked.
You make a good point. I was so shocked I just didn't think to ask why they wanted the boat for a week.