All Around Spinning Rod

Started by SFL BassHunter, October 01, 2017, 07:28:44 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kris

Rick, let me first say that I have not been a spinning tackle user until three years ago. I have an FR703SF and really like that rod for lighter presentations like Wacky Worms, Texas Rigs and even shallow running Squarebills. I have another spinning setup which is a Custom built MF with Microwave Guides which I also really like.
In your case I do believe you would be happier with a 4 or 5 power rod with a mod to fast tip.
Reservoir fishing in MD, Vietnam Vet, Retired
Ouachita 16' Model B, Minn Kota, Lowrance, Raymarine
Moderator - Maryland Fishing Reports and Chat

SFL BassHunter

PB: 6lbs 5oz / 24.25 inches.
Rods/Reels Dobyns, 13 Fishing, Cabelas Arachnid, Daiwa Tatula CT, Tatula SVTW, Tatula Tactical, Tatula Type R
Florida Bass Fishing

fishandkamp

Rick I can shed a little info here. Be sure to pay attention to the series you decide on. The Fury ( and I am talking the entire line) and the Champions are going to be quicker action rods compared to a Sierra. Now I like the Sierras a lot but you have to account for the rod series. I fish a Champion XP DC 705C for big jigs and frogs. It handles my frogging fine and I love it. If my boat allowed it it would be a DC 735C, but I am limited to thew 7 footer. My wife had a Sierra SA 705 SF spinning rod and it is slower in action. It is a beast of a rod though. It has a very similar tip to my Cham but is slower to transition to all backbone.  Knowing what I know of the line from ours, Kris's and what I have played with up our local dealer I would think you should look a the Fury and Champion XP 704 for sure. Now if you want to throw sencos, ned rigs, tubes in more open water I really like the 703s.  Check with Gary bu the helped me when I was looking.  The Champion 703 maybe my next rod of his.  Do not forget about his refurbed Champs to save a little money and maybe get more rod for the buck.  I wish you lived nearby I would give you a chance to throw Linda's 705 just top get a feel for it.

SFL BassHunter

Quote from: fishandkamp on October 04, 2017, 08:34:19 PM
Rick I can shed a little info here. Be sure to pay attention to the series you decide on. The Fury ( and I am talking the entire line) and the Champions are going to be quicker action rods compared to a Sierra. Now I like the Sierras a lot but you have to account for the rod series. I fish a Champion XP DC 705C for big jigs and frogs. It handles my frogging fine and I love it. If my boat allowed it it would be a DC 735C, but I am limited to thew 7 footer. My wife had a Sierra SA 705 SF spinning rod and it is slower in action. It is a beast of a rod though. It has a very similar tip to my Cham but is slower to transition to all backbone.  Knowing what I know of the line from ours, Kris's and what I have played with up our local dealer I would think you should look a the Fury and Champion XP 704 for sure. Now if you want to throw sencos, ned rigs, tubes in more open water I really like the 703s.  Check with Gary bu the helped me when I was looking.  The Champion 703 maybe my next rod of his.  Do not forget about his refurbed Champs to save a little money and maybe get more rod for the buck.  I wish you lived nearby I would give you a chance to throw Linda's 705 just top get a feel for it.

Thanks fishandkamp! Very insightful. Yea at this point from what I am getting back in information it seems the Dobyns rep was steering me in the right direction. Because I am looking at the Champion line it does seem the 704SF is going to be the way to go for me. 
I am definitely waiting on a refurb or mislabel to save a bit of money. If none come up within the next few weeks I will probably pull the trigger on a new one though.
Rods/Reels Dobyns, 13 Fishing, Cabelas Arachnid, Daiwa Tatula CT, Tatula SVTW, Tatula Tactical, Tatula Type R
Florida Bass Fishing

fishandkamp

i like that series a lot.I keep eyeballing that refurbed 683 SF Champion for my lighter finesse stuff. I think that thing would be my go to shakeyhead, drop shot, ned rig rod.  Of course I would need to stop working on homework and crawl out of my rabbit hole long enough to go get on my boat! LOL. That poor girl thinks I hate her.  lo

SFL BassHunter

Yeah I was gonna get they 683 initially and I'm glad I didn't. It sounds like it would have been far too light for me.

Florida Bass Fishing

nats

In spinning, I have dobyns 702,703 2 704s, and where you live I would definitely go with. 704, plus you will be surprised it will still throw 4 inch Senkoes pretty good when you need to go small

SFL BassHunter

Nat thanks for the input. Greatly Appreciated!
Florida Bass Fishing