catfish bait

Started by bonesj71, October 01, 2017, 03:41:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bonesj71

Was wondering what the best bait to use for catfish?

Lipripper

Bass lures.  lo lo That would depend on which catfish your are trying to catch. What kind do y'all have Blue.. Flatheads or channel cats?

Kats Rule And Bass Drool.Viet Nam Vet

Kris

I used to take my nephew catfishing at one of our local rivers, at this end a big creek. It was right at the bottom of the dam. Quaker Oats and a little strawberry Kool-Aid worked really well. Put the QO in your hand and a little river water put on a little Kool-aid or drink flavor powder and mix it in. It worked a long time ago.
Reservoir fishing in MD, Vietnam Vet, Retired
Ouachita 16' Model B, Minn Kota, Lowrance, Raymarine
Moderator - Maryland Fishing Reports and Chat

SteelHorseCowboy

General rule of thumb, live bait for Blues, live or dead for Channels, patience for Flats.

That being said, just about anything can work. I just listed the things I could remember catching them with on Facebook yesterday evening.
Shiny hook, chicken liver, gummy worms/bears, bread, soap, roadkill, cigarette butts, any bit of meat or meat byproduct, hot dogs, bologna, dog food, you name it. If it has a strong odor, is greasy, or can get their attention in deep water, it can catch a catfish.

What I've found that works best for me is fresh caught shad or cat's blood doughballs.

68camaro

Cut up shad works great for Blue's here in VA.
Dobyns, LSCR, JB Custom, Megabass

bigjim5589

I think the size range you're looking to catch makes some difference too. Some of the guys here are using live Gizzard Shad that are about 14" long from what I could tell. That's a big bait for huge cats.

We used fresh veal liver soaked in garlic powder a couple of days in the refrigerator, back in MD for eating size Channel cats, and that worked real well.

My one son & I caught a few decent size Channels here in the lake on live & dead shad, that were only about 3" long.

Those monster cats are fun to catch I'm sure, but I like to eat catfish, so stick to smaller baits more suited to a smaller size catfish.
Fanatical Fly Tyer & Tackle Maker!  It's An OBSESSION!!  J. Hester Fly & Tackle Co. LLC.

Justin62882

Guts from gizzards shad and sonnys dip bait for channels guarantee you won't be disappointed. Live shad and bluegill for flatheads
Fishing Is not an escape  from life, but often a deeper immersion into it.

Lipripper

Quote from: Justin62882 on February 02, 2018, 06:53:43 PM
Guts from gizzards shad and sonnys dip bait for channels guarantee you won't be disappointed. Live shad and bluegill for flatheads
Nothing quite like the smell of a jar of shad guts that has been sitting out in the  ~sun  lo lo

Kats Rule And Bass Drool.Viet Nam Vet

Smallie_Stalker

Whatever stinks the most!!!  I've used gobs of dead crawlers, chicken livers or gizzards ( most supermarkets sell both), old spoiled hot dogs and on and on.

Berkley also makes some pretty good catfish baits if you're not looking to make your own.  :-*
Dobyns Rods   Titan Tungsten   Abu Garcia  Berkley  Pflueger  Spiderwire

Justin62882

Quote from: Lipripper on February 02, 2018, 06:57:58 PM
Nothing quite like the smell of a jar of shad guts that has been sitting out in the  ~sun  lo lo
haha but golly do they work lol

ItsJason

Chicken liver or rotten shrimp.

Sent from my SM-T237P using Tapatalk

bigdogpc

I am a believer in chicken livers.  I use a circle hook and a free sliding sinker above it.  I tighten my lines and then kick back and watch.  'ol whiskers will usually thump then run because there is minimum resistance from the poles.  I just grab the pole and reel, he's hooked himself.  Carry an old rag to deal with the slime/blood from the livers.  I have best luck with fresh livers, if I have taken them home and froze them they don't work as well.  I normally fish in a lake from a dock.
Gun control is being able to hit your target!

Bassin_VA

Quote from: bigdogpc on March 30, 2018, 12:15:55 PM
I am a believer in chicken livers.  I use a circle hook and a free sliding sinker above it.  I tighten my lines and then kick back and watch.  'ol whiskers will usually thump then run because there is minimum resistance from the poles.  I just grab the pole and reel, he's hooked himself.  Carry an old rag to deal with the slime/blood from the livers.  I have best luck with fresh livers, if I have taken them home and froze them they don't work as well.  I normally fish in a lake from a dock.
Completely agree. Always had good luck with livers.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Lee Smith

Chicken Livers, put them in a bigger container, pour the sweetened Strawberry coolaid mix on them and then put them in the refrigerator for a couple of days then to the freezer.

Fact!  Yep!  Always!! hashy taggy catces um' !  ;)  ;D
Builder of Custom Personal Bassin' Rods

Justin62882

Its best to go with a few baits they can be picky some days. Flatheads live bait but cut bait can be effective at times. Channel catfish hands down best bait Is shad guts. But if there Is recent flooding and rain a night crawler will shine. Once water temps hit 60 sonnys dip bait will also fill your freezer