Ultimate Bass ULTIMATE BASS | BASS FISHING CLASSIFIED ADS | CONTACT US    

Bass Fishing information about bass boats, tackle, fishing rods, baitcasters and other reels all about bass fishing.
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Tapatalk should be back up. Please report issues -->here<--. Thank you!

Page Down
FREE TACKLE EVERY WEEK

Bass Anglers Magazine - The Best bass fishing magazine on the rack! Subscribe Today and Catch More Bass

NuTech Lures

Doc Irv Custom Baits

Life Vantage

Get Bit Outdoors

Fishing Frenzy Tackle

Bass Anglers Magazine - The Best bass fishing magazine on the rack! Subscribe Today and Catch More Bass

Bass Boats For Sale Free Classified Ads

Laurie Cork
Ph. (318)347-7380
You can Email Me Here

Mike Cork
Ph. (318)560-9827

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: New to me Shimano Caenan 100  (Read 516 times)

SteelHorseCowboy

• Largemouth
  • Baby Bass
New to me Shimano Caenan 100
« on: October 02, 2017, 11:14:23 AM »

I know nothing about them! Except Shimano allegedly makes great reels, it seemed in perfect working order but sounds dry (still smooth and moves perfectly freely), it's ugly as sin with it's boat rash, and the price tag at the pawn shop said $15!
So I snatched it up!
Gonna clean it, lube it, spool it, and MAY paint it. Most likely just plain black, more likely just gonna leave it as-is though.

EVERY SCREW APPEARS IMMACULATE.
That, and the dry sound, put together with the fact it's a fairly modern reel (still in production, right?), tells me it's not very likely someone's been into it.
I'm tickled with this find!

LgMouthGambler

• Charter Member
  • Shimano, Daiwa, HawgTech, Dobyns, LSCR, Megabass
Re: New to me Shimano Caenan 100
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2017, 12:09:51 PM »

Decent reel for the money. Composite frame. Based on the G series reels. Should do you good. You can always add a bearing to replace the bushings.

<")))>{

My wife says she is gonna leave me if I go fishing one more time........lord how I will miss that woman.

SteelHorseCowboy

• Largemouth
  • Baby Bass
« Reply #2 on: October 02, 2017, 12:28:53 PM »

Where's the bushing at? The right side plate says it has 7 bearings. Is that the it in the left side? I happen to have several good ones at home in different sizes, I'm sure there's one that matches.

LgMouthGambler

• Charter Member
« Reply #3 on: October 02, 2017, 12:35:33 PM »

Should be under the driveshaft. The knobs I dont think you can add bearings to on that reel. But you could always swap it out with one of these.

http://tackletrap.com/index.php?main_page=index&cPath=898_792_795&zenid=3691274c81540a572be39cacaf294857

My wife says she is gonna leave me if I go fishing one more time........lord how I will miss that woman.

Lipripper

• Life Member
  • Illinois
« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2017, 12:42:33 PM »

For $15 you can go wrong if it works. I've looked in the pawn shops around here but they don't have any fishing stuff in them.

Kats Rule And Bass Drool.Viet Nam Vet

cport

• Charter Member
  • FlukeMaster who?
« Reply #5 on: October 02, 2017, 12:45:04 PM »

I've read that they cast really well and perform fine, but that under load the gears get a bit hinky due to the composite frame flexing. Also that a drag upgrade is in order for this reel.

rickdelprado

• Charter Member
  • SFL BassHunter
« Reply #6 on: October 02, 2017, 02:05:02 PM »

They do make some fine reels. For that price I think you got yourself a good reel. If you use a reel like a tool, then you made out like a bandit.
Heck like you said you can even paint it. Some lube will probably take care of that dryness, that shouldn't be too bad and if you are ok with opening and giving a reel a good cleaning and lube then even better!
This is so that I can remember my personal bests: Weight 6lbs 5oz / Length 24.25 inches.

Smallie_Stalker

• CM Forum Staff
  • Good things come to those who bait !!!
« Reply #7 on: October 02, 2017, 04:42:35 PM »

For $15 you can go wrong if it works. I've looked in the pawn shops around here but they don't have any fishing stuff in them.

None in the shops around my way either.  :(
Supporting Companies: Abu Garcia  Berkley  Pflueger  Fenwick  Shakespeare  Spiderwire

cport

• Charter Member
  • FlukeMaster who?
« Reply #8 on: October 02, 2017, 07:45:22 PM »

I'm trying to decide between a new Caenan or a new Calcutta. I can get both and it won't cost me anything out of pocket, just the reward points for my 10 years of service at my company. I have 2132 points, the Caenan is 920, and the Calcutta is 2010 (essentially, every 10 points is the equivalent of 1 dollar). Now I can get the Caenan, which I would use a lot, and also have points left over for other things. Or, I can get a Calcutta, with the thinking of I don't have a saltwater reel and it is a better reel, but I know I won't use it near as much. Decisions, decisions.  ~read  :-\

SteveTX

• Charter Member
« Reply #9 on: October 02, 2017, 08:14:34 PM »

Looks like a decent score. I actually bought several reels off eBay really cheap because of boat rash. The last 2 were decent Quantum Smoke reels that I have decided is my throw in the truck pond hopping reel/loaner. I don't have to baby it keeping it off the ground and putting reel covers on it all the time. They aren't my favorite Lew's but they fish fine.

In other words its nice to just be able to fish and not sweat a small scratch. Reels that someone already scratched are excellent to loan to your buddy in the back of your boat.  :P

LgMouthGambler

• Charter Member
« Reply #10 on: October 02, 2017, 08:54:47 PM »

Looks like a decent score. I actually bought several reels off eBay really cheap because of boat rash. The last 2 were decent Quantum Smoke reels that I have decided is my throw in the truck pond hopping reel/loaner. I don't have to baby it keeping it off the ground and putting reel covers on it all the time. They aren't my favorite Lew's but they fish fine.

In other words its nice to just be able to fish and not sweat a small scratch. Reels that someone already scratched are excellent to loan to your buddy in the back of your boat. 
Yes. Thats a great outlook on it.

<")))>{

SteelHorseCowboy

• Largemouth
  • Baby Bass
« Reply #11 on: October 03, 2017, 07:00:35 AM »

Took it home, tore it down, cleaned it, lubed it, slapped it back together and wow...
First, the bad.
It's NOT unmolested as I'd hoped. The two spring washers under the drag nut were oriented the wrong way. Drag clicker doesn't work, looks like it may be missing a tiny spring. The hole for the bottom screw on the side plate, right below the spool tension knob is stripped out.
Beyond the boat rash, those are the only problems I found. Reinstalling the spring washers was nothing, I couldn't give a crap less about the drag clicker, but I'm not sure what to do about that screw hole. Right now, nothing. The screw stays in. I'll check later and see if I have a slightly larger screw laying around, one just big enough to get a bite in the stripped out hole.

The good.
This is an entry level Shimano? Only experience I've had with a low pro reel was my Black Max, may it rest in pieces.
This thing... holy crap. I've googled tons of reviews, and for a reel that some folks seem to think ain't worth pissing on, I'm in love! It makes my Black Max look like garbage when it was fresh out of the box! In posterity, that's not exactly some major feat. After a good clean and lube, I took it out back to play around with it. Having experience using my Ambassadeurs, I started with 4 of the brakes on, didn't feel I'd need all six. Then immediately took it down to two. Impressed. Went ahead and took them all off and started casting 3/8oz weights clear across the back yard with just a bare whisper coming from the spool. Return was buttery. Went down to a 1/4oz weight. Lost a lot of casting distance, but lost no accuracy. Never managed to get it to backlash.
Here's the kicker: the spool wasn't quite half full. That's right. $15 reel that I assumed could possibly self destruct or I may hate, I wasn't about to use a spool of my good line to fill it, I used bits and pieces of leftovers. I had four different types and thicknesses of line spooled on it: some 15# mono, 8# mono, 30# braid, and 40# braid, all in lengths of 15-30 yards. There were a couple of times that the spool would "fluff" as knots passed through the guides, then they'd immediately straighten out. There was just enough line on it in those different lengths that I was passing all four lines with the 3/8oz weight through the guides and nearly emptying the spool, but only two with the 1/4oz weight, occasionally three.
I had my son go out and grab the weight a few times, and let me reel him in. It performed just as well under that sort of pressure too. Of course he wasn't putting his full weight behind it, just enough to keep my pole bent pretty good.

I'm gonna paint it flat black, spool it with Daiwa 30# J-braid, and it's going in my regular rotation. My Ambassadeur 5000 will always have a place in my heart, but the other Ambassadeurs are likely going to collect a little dust.

I've always known that more money buys more quality. This reel new costs about double what the Black Max costs, and even used it brings more than a Black Max new, according to the few listings I found on eBay for this older model Caenan. But frankly, when it comes to the reels that cost over $150, I always felt folks were just being reel snobs. You see that often when it comes to guns, my other love. Folks having a relationship with their $4,000 1911s that you'd almost think was sexual, having owned and/or used both the expensive ones and the sub $500 entry level handguns, I'd tell anyone these "designer" guns just ain't worth the money. But the difference a few bucks makes when buying a reel? Phenomenal.

I see myself upgrading to something even better as soon as I can. Gonna have to save my pennies, and may sell one or two of these Ambassadeurs to help raise some funds. Definitely on the "keep" list are my 5000, the Frankenreel, and the vintage 5000 I got from TW.

FloridaFishinFool

• Largemouth
« Reply #12 on: October 03, 2017, 07:31:41 AM »

This thing... holy crap. I've googled tons of reviews, and for a reel that some folks seem to think ain't worth pissing on, I'm in love! It makes my Black Max look like garbage when it was fresh out of the box!

Welcome to the Shimano club! About time! And if you think that one is a step up... the stairway to heaven is before you!  ~c~

SteelHorseCowboy

• Largemouth
  • Baby Bass
« Reply #13 on: October 03, 2017, 08:04:46 AM »

Yep, most definitely. Next stop will be a Curado or Daiwa Tatula. Not trying to rub your nose in it, I know you're a Shimano fan, but the Tatula gets awesome reviews too.
I have an older Daiwa, a Pr1 bb2 or something like that. I believe it's either the predecessor or budget line to the old Procasters. I like it, especially after I found the squeak and put a drop of oil under the knobs, I just don't like it quite enough to swap out one of the Ambassadeurs for it.
If I had another rod though, I'd be using it.
My daughter decided she doesn't want the 5500C3. I can't put my finger on it, but for some reason I don't really care for it either. It's essentially identical to my 5000 after I've upgraded with better bearings and performs just as well. Could be the handle or just the color, I don't know. It's gone into the drawer, the Shimano's gone onto the Lightning Rod, and my 5000 is now on the Black Max rod. They just feel better that way, the lightning rod has a fatter handle with the hemp wrapped on it, which seems to compliment the smaller Shimano a little better. The weight distribution is a bit better this way too, the Black Max rod seems a bit more front heavy than the Lightning Rod, so the heavier reel counter balances it a bit better.

RuddyDuck

• Smallmouth
  • What, not another HammerHandle!
« Reply #14 on: October 04, 2017, 01:11:39 PM »

It does have bearings in the knobs. Just use a flat screwdriver to take off the end caps, then a phillips to take the knob off.

I have one and yes under heavy load it can reel hard. My pawl was going out, so that might of not helped either. Just put a new one in and seems better, but haven't fully tested it yet. Been working fine for spinnerbaits and crankbaits.

For $15 you got a decent buy!
Dan

SteelHorseCowboy

• Largemouth
  • Baby Bass
« Reply #15 on: October 04, 2017, 05:56:34 PM »

I've put better line on it, and I've been out in the back yard playing with it a while. I'm really loving it, may run out in a bit and wet a line.

I assumed it had bearings in the knobs. On the ride home yesterday, it was sitting in the cupholder and the knobs would spin a bit every time the bass thumped from the radio. My stereo system is bone stock and I only turn it up higher than conversation level when an exceptionally awesome song comes on.

SteelHorseCowboy

• Largemouth
  • Baby Bass
« Reply #16 on: October 09, 2017, 08:35:37 AM »

How it sits now.

FloridaFishinFool

• Largemouth
« Reply #17 on: October 09, 2017, 09:34:32 AM »

Lookin' good SHC!

What rod are you going to put it on?

LgMouthGambler

• Charter Member
« Reply #18 on: October 09, 2017, 09:42:12 AM »

Plasti-dip?

SteelHorseCowboy

• Largemouth
  • Baby Bass
« Reply #19 on: October 09, 2017, 10:03:37 AM »

Since I haven't been catfishing as much as I'd like, I took my Frankenreel off and put this one on my Abu Garcia Vigilante 2, a 7' MH. It was doing great on my Lightning Rod, but my 5000 SUCKED on the Black Max rod, so I rearranged things. The Shimano really rocks with that extra 6 inches. Not sure what I'll end up putting on the Black Max rod. NOT another Black Max reel, that's for sure. I may swap things around again, see how the 5000 does on the longer rod and how the Shimano does on the BM. But for now, I'm tickled pink with the arrangement.

Lip, I used something I got from work. Very similar to a cross between bed liner and tractor paint with a mixed in primer. Goes on a lot thinner though. It should be completely cured by this afternoon, it hardens very well. We have some tools at work that we sprayed some of this stuff on to prevent rust. Some of them have been rattling around in the truck toolbox for about 3 years and still look pretty darn good.
Cool thing I've discovered from using it several times is, you can spray a good amount on a layer of paper towels, then dip a q-tip in it for small touchups.

Captsteve

• Charter Member
  • Captain on Watch
« Reply #20 on: October 09, 2017, 10:18:54 AM »

congratulations enjoy

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Steve
Headed for the Lake

Smallie_Stalker

• CM Forum Staff
« Reply #21 on: October 09, 2017, 12:26:38 PM »

Wow. That looks really nice.  ~c~
Supporting Companies: Abu Garcia  Berkley  Pflueger  Fenwick  Shakespeare  Spiderwire

SteelHorseCowboy

• Largemouth
  • Baby Bass
« Reply #22 on: October 09, 2017, 12:39:03 PM »

Thanks! Connie took one look at it and said, "A Batman reel. Perfect!"
May see if I ever come across a small Batman sticker that'll fit on the front where "Caenan" used to be.

Smallie_Stalker

• CM Forum Staff
« Reply #23 on: October 10, 2017, 04:28:00 PM »

Thanks! Connie took one look at it and said, "A Batman reel. Perfect!"
May see if I ever come across a small Batman sticker that'll fit on the front where "Caenan" used to be.

Be careful. If someone sees a Batman reel they may think of Robin you.  :P  (Sorry, I just couldn't help myself).

LgMouthGambler

• Charter Member
« Reply #24 on: October 10, 2017, 04:30:31 PM »

Be careful. If someone sees a Batman reel they may think of Robin you.  :P  (Sorry, I just couldn't help myself).

Soo corny, but very good.  ~c~  ~roflmao
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up

Monster Fishing Tactle is the best place to buy your tackle needs Check them out online

When Bass Fishing Is More than Just a Hobby - Dobyns Rods

The most innovative and technologically advanced fishing rod blanks on the planet

Get Chomped at Mega Chomp Lure Company and Get The Best Baits for your Money

QUICK LINKS
UB Home
Main Forum
Welcome
Dock Talk
Techniques
Rods and Reels
Tackle Box
Catch of the Day
UB Contests
Tips and Ideas
Sponsor Connection
Fishing Reports
Charter Members Only
Bass Fishing Classified Ads
Boats 4 Sale

BECOME A
CHARTER MEMBER
SUPPORT UB

Find out about the contests before everyone else and know about the latest news first

Page Up

Page created in 0.075 seconds with 34 queries.