New to me Shimano Caenan 100

Started by SteelHorseCowboy, October 02, 2017, 11:14:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Smallie_Stalker

Thank you. I'll be here all week.  ~beer~    (Well, most of it anyway).
Dobyns Rods   Titan Tungsten   Abu Garcia  Berkley  Pflueger  Spiderwire

lostboy45b

Dobyns, Megabass, Lucky Craft, Daiwa, Lew's

SteelHorseCowboy

LMG, I did discover a bearing under the driveshaft, and I suspect that's where at least most of the dry feel was coming from. It seemed a bit coarse. I did have another one on hand that I pulled from my Black Max when I gutted it and tossed the damaged parts in the trash. I swapped that one in, soaked the original in acetone until it spun freely, then oiled it for storage.

Cport, this one turns out to have what looks like Carbontex drag washers in it. I wiped them clean and dry, regreased them, and cleaned the drive gear and plates thoroughly. The drag feels nice and smooth, and much stronger than I expected.

You're in a conundrum with your choices there. A bit lower quality reel that you'll use more often, or a higher quality reel that you'll rarely use. Still being the fan of round reels that I am, I'd probably get the Calcutta and just use it in freshwater too, OR, get it, sell it, put the money towards another reel, and possibly have some money left over for more tackle!

Smallie, I can't believe you just said that! Still made me laugh. Do you have one of those "1001 Dad Jokes" books?
My youngest boy is quick as a whip with horrible puns. Most of them get groans of despair, and I think that's why he gets such a laugh out of it.
He had a sticker like this on the back of his helmet, being my sidekick pretty much since the day he was born. We used to ride together all the time until I ate pavement. We'd take off on a Saturday morning and just spend all day cruising in the hills up in Arkansas, not getting back home until after dark, both of us tuckered out with sore butts and a grin.

cport

Quote from: SteelHorseCowboy on October 11, 2017, 08:22:51 AM

You're in a conundrum with your choices there. A bit lower quality reel that you'll use more often, or a higher quality reel that you'll rarely use. Still being the fan of round reels that I am, I'd probably get the Calcutta and just use it in freshwater too, OR, get it, sell it, put the money towards another reel, and possibly have some money left over for more tackle!

OOH, I didn't think of that. That opens up a few options; can anyone say, Curado K? Yes? I knew you could.  ;D
11lb 2 oz PB 🎣

FloridaFishinFool

Good call guys.

I am in the middle of servicing a Calcutta 200GTB right now that was never serviced and used in saltwater until it stopped.

When I took off the handle nut the corrosion was so bad the handle was frozen onto the drive shaft solid as if the nut was still holding it in place.

This one is getting a new handle at $70.00 plus all new bearings for starters.

So like SHC said- use in freshwater only! Or resell and buy the K~!

Here is what the outside of the Calcutta looked like right after I took the handle off and cast control cap. The handle was destroyed by salt water- also inside the knobs, and the bearing shown here was frozen up solid from rust and corrosion from saltwater. Gonna finish this one up today. The repair bill is gonna be over $100 but it will be like new again...

Saltwater gets them all, even the calcutta

Words are the exercise for the brain. Words are life expressed... without words we die a slow meaningless death. Silence to the grave is no way to go! So live! Use words! Power of the pen is sharper than any sword! Make it so! Mom said don't surround yourself with idiots! Fly higher than the Eagles... and don't run with the turkeys! Deus Vult!

SteelHorseCowboy

Quote from: cport on October 11, 2017, 08:30:11 AM

OOH, I didn't think of that. That opens up a few options; can anyone say, Curado K? Yes? I knew you could.  ;D
You read my mind to the letter!