Baitcaster Brakes

Started by MarkusBett18, October 05, 2017, 04:00:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MarkusBett18

Greetings Y'all! I just recently found out my first baitcaster was a magnetic and a centrifugal braking so two different types of brakes, I didn't know that for the first 5 months of be learning to use the Baitcaster. I had it free spooling while learning  ~c~ and didn't use the centrifugal brakes at all that's why I think it took me so long to learn haha. Should I keep it free spooling or should I click two of the brakes.
><(((º>        <º)))><

Smallie_Stalker

If you can keep it from backlashing a lot I would leave them off unless maybe casting into a heavy wind. If you are getting lots of bird's nests then by all means turn them on. Turn them on in pairs on opposite sides.

Just as an FYI type of thing the centrifugal brakes control the speed of the spool at the beginning of the cast and the magnetics control it at the end.

Nothing beats an educated thumb and that only comes with tie and practice.

IMO the less braking you have on the better but I'm old school. We used to take the plastic tabs right off the brakes shafts on the old round ABU reels so you couldn't even turn them on if you wanted to.  :o
Dobyns Rods   Titan Tungsten   Abu Garcia  Berkley  Pflueger  Spiderwire

MarkusBett18

haha yeah, and should you ever only enable 1 at a time, or always do it by pairs! and thanks  a lot for the help!!!!
><(((º>        <º)))><

Smallie_Stalker

NEVER a single one on. It will throw the spool off balance.

If you have 6 centrifugal brakes you can turn on 2 (one on each side opposite each other), 3 (every other pad), 4 (any 2 sets of opposites) or 6 (all brakes). If you turn on only one or 5 you will throw the spool off balance.

MarkusBett18

sick! so what are the benfits for having a pair oppose to none?
><(((º>        <º)))><

Smallie_Stalker

Having none on gives you a more free spool so potentially longer casts. Having two ( or more) on can help to cut down on backlashes or if you are casting into the wind and some people like them on when pitching or flipping because they feel like it gives them a little more control during those techniques. (I personally disagree, but it's just my opinion).

Since I prefer to have no braking on all the time I'm probably not the best one to be answering here LOL!!! I'm gonna step back and let some other folks jump in with their viewpoints.  :-*

SFL BassHunter

When I had a dual brake system reel I liked having 2 on inside like Smallie said, opposite each other.

It helped cut down on backlash and overrun, but didn't hinder my casting much. Then I fine tuned my casts with the magnetic brake on the outside dial to dial it in just right.
PB: 6lbs 5oz / 24.25 inches.
Rods/Reels Dobyns, 13 Fishing, Cabelas Arachnid, Daiwa Tatula CT, Tatula SVTW, Tatula Tactical, Tatula Type R
Florida Bass Fishing

MarkusBett18

Quote from: Smallie_Stalker on October 05, 2017, 04:38:25 PM
Having none on gives you a more free spool so potentially longer casts. Having two ( or more) on can help to cut down on backlashes or if you are casting into the wind and some people like them on when pitching or flipping because they feel like it gives them a little more control during those techniques. (I personally disagree, but it's just my opinion).

Since I prefer to have no braking on all the time I'm probably not the best one to be answering here LOL!!! I'm gonna step back and let some other folks jump in with their viewpoints.  :-*
haha awesome thanks for the help!
><(((º>        <º)))><

MarkusBett18

Quote from: rickdelprado on October 05, 2017, 04:51:20 PM
When I had a dual brake system reel I liked having 2 on inside like Smallie said, opposite each other.

It helped cut down on backlash and overrun, but didn't hinder my casting much. Then I fine tuned my casts with the magnetic brake on the outside dial to dial it in just right.
amazing thanks!!
><(((º>        <º)))><

SFL BassHunter

PB: 6lbs 5oz / 24.25 inches.
Rods/Reels Dobyns, 13 Fishing, Cabelas Arachnid, Daiwa Tatula CT, Tatula SVTW, Tatula Tactical, Tatula Type R
Florida Bass Fishing

Bud Kennedy

Markus, I don't know how running without brakes have been working out for you.  If you are mastering the cast without brakes then so be it.  There are no rules thats for sure.  I know I don't have the skills to run without brakes but many do and if you learned this way and it is working then you are good to go.  A real test perhaps is when you change to different weight of baits or are having to cast into the wind then brakes can make fine tuning adjustments a lot easier to deal with using your magnetic options.

njpaulc

As a couple of posters said, learn to cast with the mechanical brakes because it is easier to correct for difficult casting conditions, or changing weights with the magnetic brakes.  Also, train your thumb to control the spool when you cast.

Lee Smith

Do like I do, the ones you can remove, remove, the ones you can't leave off!
Builder of Custom Personal Bassin' Rods

LgMouthGambler

I tried the whole "no brakes" thing one time. ONE TIME.  lo 2 on for me, opposing to keep things balanced out. Just the way it works for me.
My wife says she is gonna leave me if I go fishing one more time........lord how I will miss that woman.

Princeton_Man

Quote from: Lee Smith on October 06, 2017, 09:34:29 AM
Do like I do, the ones you can remove, remove, the ones you can't leave off!

Bet you like to drive sprint cars too!  ~roflmao
Stratos 285 XL Pro 150 Evinrude ETEC

Dobyns Rods - LSCR Club

hubcap91

Quote from: LgMouthGambler on October 06, 2017, 09:59:09 AM
I tried the whole "no brakes" thing one time. ONE TIME.  lo 2 on for me, opposing to keep things balanced out. Just the way it works for me.
Same here.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

SteveTX

Being the uneducated deplorable person I am ::) , my opinion is it is visually stimulating to the eye to have equal or symmetrical looking brakes. However when casting any of the numerous brands and models of reels with one brake I personally never felt anything vibrating when casting any of them. I'm not saying they don't vibrate but if it's so insignificant does it matter?

When the manufacturer knows to idiot proof everything why would Okuma and their dial setting even go to or be marked with a 1 or any of the reels be made where you could select just one if one was bad? :-\

LgMouthGambler

Quote from: SteveTX on October 07, 2017, 11:10:05 AM
Being the uneducated deplorable person I am ::) , my opinion is it is visually stimulating to the eye to have equal or symmetrical looking brakes. However when casting any of the numerous brands and models of reels with one brake I personally never felt anything vibrating when casting any of them. I'm not saying they don't vibrate but if it's so insignificant does it matter?

When the manufacturer knows to idiot proof everything why would Okuma and their dial setting even go to or be marked with a 1 or any of the reels be made where you could select just one if one was bad? :-\
You cant start counting without the number "one". Its not that it will cause "vibrating", its that a brake applied "symmetrically" can be more consistent and smooth. Once you factor in the line on the spool, you can kiss the total "balance" of the spool out of the equation. However, you can guarantee that you have a "balanced" applied braking force with opposing brake tabs.

<")))>{
My wife says she is gonna leave me if I go fishing one more time........lord how I will miss that woman.

SteveTX

Quote from: LgMouthGambler on October 07, 2017, 03:17:14 PM
You cant start counting without the number "one". Its not that it will cause "vibrating", its that a brake applied "symmetrically" can be more consistent and smooth. Once you factor in the line on the spool, you can kiss the total "balance" of the spool out of the equation. However, you can guarantee that you have a "balanced" applied braking force with opposing brake tabs.

<")))>{
Don't take this wrong I'm not arguing just here to discuss it. I am just not so sure I 100% agree with the assessment that you shouldn't run one brake. 

I understand that your point. Maybe vibrating was the wrong term I haven't seen or felt anything inconsistent and not smooth with using 1 brake. Also how do you "guarantee" that just because you have 2 brakes on that both brakes are putting exactly the same equal pressure? We are dealing with such minute pressures it could possibly take millions of dollars in equipment to determine precisely what is going on.

Being mechanically inclined you have to admit it is possible that by adding a second brake you are adding one more variable to create a unbalanced braking force even with opposing brake tabs. There are tolerances in everything mass produced and guaranteed out of 4 brakes I'd bet money one of them is not an exact copy if you could measure precisely enough. Heck I could safely bet 2 of the four were not. So just as easily as 2 could make it potentially better adding that second one could also have a negative effect.

Another thought Many things use 1 brake on a caliper and apply perfectly good smooth stopping force unless something is out of round like the disc that the brake is applying pressure to.  ;)

True they could have started with 1 if they didn't want to just do even numbers like 2,4,6 for the setting or they could have done A,B,C or they could have labeled it with thinner or thicker hash marks while all only applying equal number of brakes in progression if it was a issue running just one.

I really wish I didn't think so much about mechanical stuff.  lo

LgMouthGambler

Quote from: SteveTX on October 07, 2017, 06:56:58 PM
Don't take this wrong I'm not arguing just here to discuss it. I am just not so sure I 100% agree with the assessment that you shouldn't run one brake. 

I understand that your point. Maybe vibrating was the wrong term I haven't seen or felt anything inconsistent and not smooth with using 1 brake. Also how do you "guarantee" that just because you have 2 brakes on that both brakes are putting exactly the same equal pressure? We are dealing with such minute pressures it could possibly take millions of dollars in equipment to determine precisely what is going on.

Being mechanically inclined you have to admit it is possible that by adding a second brake you are adding one more variable to create a unbalanced braking force even with opposing brake tabs. There are tolerances in everything mass produced and guaranteed out of 4 brakes I'd bet money one of them is not an exact copy if you could measure precisely enough. Heck I could safely bet 2 of the four were not. So just as easily as 2 could make it potentially better adding that second one could also have a negative effect.

Another thought Many things use 1 brake on a caliper and apply perfectly good smooth stopping force unless something is out of round like the disc that the brake is applying pressure to.  ;)

True they could have started with 1 if they didn't want to just do even numbers like 2,4,6 for the setting or they could have done A,B,C or they could have labeled it with thinner or thicker hash marks while all only applying equal number of brakes in progression if it was a issue running just one.

I really wish I didn't think so much about mechanical stuff.  lo
Not saying you shouldnt, or you couldn't, but I have found the braking to be more controlled and consistent with an even amount. It's all in the beholder. Now, if you do it again, I'll stab you in the face with a soldering iron. Tell me, does your mother sew? Lol. Couldn't help myself.

<")))>{

SteelHorseCowboy

Older cars with brake drums. Two shoes per drum on opposite sides. If they could have built them cheaper and just as good using only one shoe, they would have.
Granted these reels are obviously designed in such a way that you CAN use only one brake, to me it appears even more obvious that they're designed to apply the brakes symmetrically. 2-3-4-6
I'd imagine for many people the sweet spot is 2-3 brakes. So why not make them so that there are 3 brakes total? Because if 2 is your magic number, you wouldn't be able to apply them symmetrically.
Same as if they made them with 8 brakes. You wouldn't be able to apply 3 symmetrically if that happens to be what works best for you.

Symmetry is a natural thing. We have two arms, two legs, two eyes. It's even in the laws of physics, "For every action, there is an equal but opposite reaction" or something along those lines.

When I replace a tire on my car, I replace the one opposite to it too. Because it will affect the handling, and depending on the tire wear, it could be a drastic effect.

Now, CAN you use just one brake on a reel? I'm sure you can, and will probably never notice any ill effect for the entire time you own it. If it floats your boat, go for it.

MarkusBett18

Quote from: SteelHorseCowboy on October 08, 2017, 10:36:38 PM
Older cars with brake drums. Two shoes per drum on opposite sides. If they could have built them cheaper and just as good using only one shoe, they would have.
Granted these reels are obviously designed in such a way that you CAN use only one brake, to me it appears even more obvious that they're designed to apply the brakes symmetrically. 2-3-4-6
I'd imagine for many people the sweet spot is 2-3 brakes. So why not make them so that there are 3 brakes total? Because if 2 is your magic number, you wouldn't be able to apply them symmetrically.
Same as if they made them with 8 brakes. You wouldn't be able to apply 3 symmetrically if that happens to be what works best for you.

Symmetry is a natural thing. We have two arms, two legs, two eyes. It's even in the laws of physics, "For every action, there is an equal but opposite reaction" or something along those lines.

When I replace a tire on my car, I replace the one opposite to it too. Because it will affect the handling, and depending on the tire wear, it could be a drastic effect.

Now, CAN you use just one brake on a reel? I'm sure you can, and will probably never notice any ill effect for the entire time you own it. If it floats your boat, go for it.
Damn! agreed!
><(((º>        <º)))><

Smallie_Stalker

Quote from: SteelHorseCowboy on October 08, 2017, 10:36:38 PM

Two giant thumbs up and a Like Button!!!   :)

SteveTX

Drum brakes been gone 50 years. Disc brakes have one caliper that grabs in one place on the rotor.  ::)

LgMouthGambler

Quote from: SteveTX on October 09, 2017, 02:02:02 PM
Drum brakes been gone 50 years. Disc brakes have one caliper that grabs in one place on the rotor.  ::)

Drums are still around on a lot of trucks. Disc brakes have one caliper, that grabs from both sides of the rotor.