A question you should ask yourself

Started by Wizard, October 12, 2017, 08:19:08 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Wizard

When you are fishing and catching bass, a lot of anglers ask themselves the normal questions. How was the bass facing, was it aggressive, did it react or follow the bait, etc. All good questions to help you catch the next bass. The question few ask is, "why is the forage using that spot or area". Take the time to look over the area with your electronics. Do you see bait or schools of bait. Were you throwing a jig and the bass are feeding on bait fish? Were you fishing a good looking area and throwing a crank bait without getting a bite. If the bass are there, are they feeding on craws? Using your electronics may lead you to switch baits and fish it again. There is always a reason for forage to use an area. Learn that reason and you will become a better angler.
Fishing is simple with simple rules. The main rules are "Find the forage, find the bass" and "Why is the forage there?".

Wizard

Lee Smith

Very good reminder, on lakes like Pickwick down here we have a lot of deeper water, have always wondered why sometimes on the deep flats, with absolutely nothing on the bottom, are the bait fish suspending in mid range depths like 10' or more?

I understand when there is a high pressure, blah blah, but at times, these fish ball up in huge balls and just set there, you can come back a couple of days later and they are still there.  I can't see any change in bottom structure, anything, low or medium barometer matters not.  I also can't ever see any bass around them.

Weird to a shallow water guy  ~roflmao
Builder of Custom Personal Bassin' Rods

Wizard

Just a couple of thoughts since it's Pickwick. It could be a area of algae bloom upon which the forage is feeding. It could also be an area with deeper mussel beds. The mussels could be releasing larvae and the bait fish are feeding on them. The last reason is the most intriguing. Your glasses are dirty and you mistook a glass smudge for a bait school.   ~b~

Wizard

SFL BassHunter

Electronics? What electronics?

The only electronics I use are my eyes and my polarized glasses lol.  ~roflmao
PB: 6lbs 5oz / 24.25 inches.
Rods/Reels Dobyns, 13 Fishing, Cabelas Arachnid, Daiwa Tatula CT, Tatula SVTW, Tatula Tactical, Tatula Type R
Florida Bass Fishing

topdsm0138

Remember, always think like a fish....no matter how weird it gets..

Sent from my SM-J700P using Tapatalk

"I'm a simple man, with simple pleasures." -Trevor Belmont

Oldfart9999

Quote from: Wizard on October 12, 2017, 01:55:13 PM
Just a couple of thoughts since it's Pickwick. It could be a area of algae bloom upon which the forage is feeding. It could also be an area with deeper mussel beds. The mussels could be releasing larvae and the bait fish are feeding on them. The last reason is the most intriguing. Your glasses are dirty and you mistook a glass smudge for a bait school.   ~b~

Wizard
Could be a bug hatch also though I'm inclined to go with dirty glasses. lo lo

I try not to ask myself questions, sometimes I don't understand the answers, they're over my head! lo lo ;)
Rodney 
Old Fishermen never die, their rods just go limp.