Ultimate Bass ULTIMATE BASS | BASS FISHING CLASSIFIED ADS | CONTACT US    

Bass Fishing information about bass boats, tackle, fishing rods, baitcasters and other reels all about bass fishing.
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Tapatalk should be back up. Please report issues -->here<--. Thank you!

Page Down
FREE TACKLE EVERY WEEK

Bass Anglers Magazine - The Best bass fishing magazine on the rack! Subscribe Today and Catch More Bass

NuTech Lures

Doc Irv Custom Baits

Life Vantage

Get Bit Outdoors

Fishing Frenzy Tackle

Bass Anglers Magazine - The Best bass fishing magazine on the rack! Subscribe Today and Catch More Bass

Bass Boats For Sale Free Classified Ads

Laurie Cork
Ph. (318)347-7380
You can Email Me Here

Mike Cork
Ph. (318)560-9827

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Do you rattle?  (Read 381 times)

Lee Smith

• LM Community Diplomat
  • Gotta Love It!
Do you rattle?
« on: October 17, 2017, 10:12:14 AM »

Fall is one of the very best bass catching times of the year, the big girls and the little boys are fattening up for winter. 

Do you rattle?  One of the best techniques for fall fishing in shallow areas that has sparse grass is a rattle trap.  They just work, I use a rip and stop technique reeling fast and stopping, never the same amount of times, very erratic.  Also, I love to hit the coon tail and rip it out then let it die, it's deadly when the bigger fish are around.

When you see a school of fish working the top, throw a trap past them, reel it up to them fast and kill it, bam, dang near every time!  Schoolers are why I always have a trap on the deck during the fall, no matter what I'm fishing or where.  I have yet to find a lure that is better than a trap for schooling fish and the stop and kill technique is usually the best way to catch the bigger fish below the feeding frenzy.

Personally I rig my traps different than most because I fish them different than most. I use a MH fast action rod, 50# braid and exchange the hooks for long shank #2 trebles. You must have the strength of the line and rod in the grass and those #2 hooks will hold on to the fish for sure.

If you can find a creek bed in a shallow flat of coon tail, where ever the creek widens, no matter if it's deeper or not you have found a gold mind.  Especially if the grass is thick on both sides and sparse in the creek.  Don't make the ultimate mistake though, keep throwing, that trap will pull them out of the grass to see what's going on and when they do, they will eat.  I have been in the boat when my partners start laughing at me after about 10 cast, then start egging me to leave after 15 or 20 cast, then start scrambling for their trap after the 5th or 6th fish.  Best day was 48 out of an area the size of two half-ton trucks, I through over 20 times before the first 10" fish, then it was on with multiple 3# + fish and a 6#er mixed in.  Let the area rest, then come back and hit it again over and over. 

Hope this helps some of you to have a fall that you will never forget, it has me in the past.

Builder of Custom Personal Bassin' Rods

rickdelprado

• Charter Member
  • SFL BassHunter
Re: Do you rattle?
« Reply #1 on: October 17, 2017, 10:25:04 AM »

Sounds like a good idea to throw them on that braid.
Thanks for the info.

I've few fish on Cotton Cordell lipless. Interestingly enough most of my bites have actually been at the bottom of the lake letting them sit at the bottom.

This is so that I can remember my personal bests: Weight 6lbs 5oz / Length 24.25 inches.

Lee Smith

• LM Community Diplomat
  • Gotta Love It!
« Reply #2 on: October 17, 2017, 10:51:01 AM »

Sounds like a good idea to throw them on that braid.
Thanks for the info.

I've few fish on Cotton Cordell lipless. Interestingly enough most of my bites have actually been at the bottom of the lake letting them sit at the bottom.

I use this one 90% of the time, Summer Sexy Shad

https://www.outdoorproshop.com/Strike-King-Red-Eye-Shad-Crankbaits-p/strikeking-res.htm

rickdelprado

• Charter Member
  • SFL BassHunter
« Reply #3 on: October 17, 2017, 10:57:11 AM »

I use this one 90% of the time, Summer Sexy Shad

https://www.outdoorproshop.com/Strike-King-Red-Eye-Shad-Crankbaits-p/strikeking-res.htm

I've got 3 of these. I have blue gill, bone and a smaller bone. Still ain't caught a fish on em.
This is so that I can remember my personal bests: Weight 6lbs 5oz / Length 24.25 inches.

Lee Smith

• LM Community Diplomat
  • Gotta Love It!
« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2017, 10:58:05 AM »

I've got 3 of these. I have blue gill, bone and a smaller bone. Still ain't caught a fish on em.

Gotta rip um'  ;)

rickdelprado

• Charter Member
  • SFL BassHunter
« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2017, 12:05:07 PM »

LgMouthGambler

• Charter Member
  • Shimano, Daiwa, HawgTech, Dobyns, LSCR, Megabass
« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2017, 12:26:41 PM »

Yep, got mine ready for the next couple o months. Bill Lewis, and Cordells do the trick just fine. Especially when they in the discount bin at Walmart.  lo
My wife says she is gonna leave me if I go fishing one more time........lord how I will miss that woman.

rickdelprado

• Charter Member
  • SFL BassHunter
« Reply #7 on: October 17, 2017, 01:02:38 PM »

Yep, got mine ready for the next couple o months. Bill Lewis, and Cordells do the trick just fine. Especially when they in the discount bin at Walmart.  lo

I actually got the Cordells at BPS. They were a dollar in their discount bin. I ended up buying like 6 of them.

SteelHorseCowboy

• Largemouth
  • Baby Bass
« Reply #8 on: October 18, 2017, 07:42:40 AM »

I've got one of them Strike Kings also in Sexy Shad. Haven't fished it much, mine seems a big beast of a lure for the waters I fish. My old man gave it too me, he got it in a giveaway bag at a fishing tournament, along with some big lipped deep diving SK crank. Which also seems too big for where I fish.
I do like that it rattles pretty well as it sinks though.
My two rattle traps are actual Rat'l Trap. I've used the Cotton Cordell ones and they seem to work just as well. I fish mine just as Lee described, sometimes with a few steady retrieves thrown in and occasionally burn the hell out of it. Well, as well as I can with the lower speed reels I have.
I usually have the same or similar results too, seems to take them a minute to get curious, then they start hitting it.

My biggest obstacle is losing 'em. I use them sparingly from the bank, cause that's just dang near a guaranteed $5 straight down the drain for me. It's also part of why I stick to smaller ones, they don't sink quite as fast and they're a bit easier to hop over snags.

WarriorRiverTackle

• Ultimate Basser
  • Fishin' Alabama
« Reply #9 on: October 18, 2017, 07:58:32 AM »

Chrome w/ Blue back :D
Fishin' Alabama
Building Rods, & Snatchin' Lips.

Braden

• Smallmouth
  • Baby Bass
« Reply #10 on: October 18, 2017, 08:50:29 AM »

Great info!

Braden

• Smallmouth
  • Baby Bass
« Reply #11 on: October 20, 2017, 08:20:54 AM »

How are you ripping them? Are you doing it by reeling faster or jerking the rod?

Wizard

• Ultimate Basser
  • Deep water angler on highland lakes
« Reply #12 on: October 20, 2017, 09:43:11 AM »

A great bait that I have from .25 oz to 1.25 oz. I fish them from spring thru fall. Yesterday I fished them just as Lee mentioned. Fast cranking and then killing the bait----works every fall. I fished some large bait schools with the 1.25 oz Musky sized lipless crank. I seldom cast and crank it but do jig with it. Dropping it straight thru the bait school, jigging it with a jerk and fall, is a perfect tactic for the bigger lady bass. The smaller bass tend to leave it alone and the bigger bass view it as an easy meal. Remember that lipless cranks have several manufacturers and each has it's own unique rattle sound. Sometimes bass prefer one sound over the others so experiment to see what they like the best that day.

Wizard

Lee Smith

• LM Community Diplomat
  • Gotta Love It!
« Reply #13 on: October 20, 2017, 01:46:53 PM »

How are you ripping them? Are you doing it by reeling faster or jerking the rod?

Both  ;)

hubcap91

• Smallmouth
  • Baby Bass
« Reply #14 on: October 20, 2017, 02:35:52 PM »

Always keep a rod rigged with a gold or chrome Strike King lipless in the fall. They do very well with the bait balls in the creeks this time of year.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

Donald Garner

• LM Forum Staff
  • B.A.S.S. Life Member / LSCR Club Member
« Reply #15 on: October 20, 2017, 05:53:58 PM »

Got a whole Plano Box full of Rattle Traps and Sexy Red Eye Shads.  Rayburn Red, Chrome w/ Blue Back, Chrome w/ Black Back are my go to colors.  Can't beat them in the Spring, Summer and Fall.  About the only time I don't throw one is in the dead of Winter.
Belton Texas part of God's Country
Stratos 285 Pro XL Yamaha 150 VMax
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Monster Fishing Tactle is the best place to buy your tackle needs Check them out online

When Bass Fishing Is More than Just a Hobby - Dobyns Rods

The most innovative and technologically advanced fishing rod blanks on the planet

Get Chomped at Mega Chomp Lure Company and Get The Best Baits for your Money

QUICK LINKS
UB Home
Main Forum
Welcome
Dock Talk
Techniques
Rods and Reels
Tackle Box
Catch of the Day
UB Contests
Tips and Ideas
Sponsor Connection
Fishing Reports
Charter Members Only
Bass Fishing Classified Ads
Boats 4 Sale

BECOME A
CHARTER MEMBER
SUPPORT UB

Find out about the contests before everyone else and know about the latest news first

Page Up

Page created in 0.067 seconds with 34 queries.