Best Casting Reel for a Kid

Started by Bretts_daddy, October 17, 2017, 10:45:02 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Bretts_daddy

As the title states, I would like to find a good, solid casting reel for my 7 year old son to start out with. Obviously it doesn't have to be of the highest quality but something simple that is almost impossible to backlash once it's dialed in to the weight of a lure. He's a lefty too. Any suggestions?
The only stupid question is the one you don't ask!

No matter how much we know about fishing there is always more to learn!

Bud Kennedy

I have found only one reel that can flat get the job done as far as preventing backlashes.  Although it may be more than you want to spend just consider that you too may find this reel a great add to your arsenal.  I highly recommend the Daiwa SVTW103 series Tatula reels.  They are super easy to adjust and it is possible to actually set them up so thumb control is not all that important but then easily adjusted as one becomes more proficient with casting reels.  You can throw just about any weight of bait with this reel and would be perfect for the first time user as well as the experienced angler.  The bad news is the reels will go for about $130. but I assure you they will eliminate a lot of frustration you son will encounter.

SFL BassHunter

My suggestion is going to be a Tatula CT. They are small frames, great brake system and won't break the bank. A Daiwa Fuego has the same brake system as the CT, also same frame just no TWS line guide, it is under 100 dollars.
Impossible to backlash you probably won't find unless you go to a higher end reel. A Tatula SV is about as close to impossible to backlash under 200 dollars that I can think of.
But I can backlash any reel I have ever cast lol. Even when they are marketed to be impossible to backlash.

Your other choice is a dual brake system reel. A lews with dual brakes, or a bps PQ are good options.

Stay away from one of those super cheap reels. Like a BassPro MegaCast. The ones they have out in the isle and not behind the counter. Those things are hard as hell to cast.
PB: 6lbs 5oz / 24.25 inches.
Rods/Reels Dobyns, 13 Fishing, Cabelas Arachnid, Daiwa Tatula CT, Tatula SVTW, Tatula Tactical, Tatula Type R
Florida Bass Fishing

Bretts_daddy

How about something like a Kastking Speed Demon? I have heard and read reviews that say they are almost impossible to backlash.

LgMouthGambler

Oh God. Kast King  ~fl Do yourself a favor. Take the money you are gonna spend on the KastKing, roll it up and put it into an empty beer bottle. Now, take that bottle and hit yourself over the head with it. Did that help knock some sense into you?  lo

Try something like a older orange and black Daiwa Aird, or a Shimano Citica E. Maybe even the Tatula CT.
My wife says she is gonna leave me if I go fishing one more time........lord how I will miss that woman.

SFL BassHunter

Sorry, no experience with Kastking reels here. BUT I highly doubt they are impossible to backlash.
Rods/Reels Dobyns, 13 Fishing, Cabelas Arachnid, Daiwa Tatula CT, Tatula SVTW, Tatula Tactical, Tatula Type R
Florida Bass Fishing

Bretts_daddy

I guess I used a poor choice of words when I said "impossible"...how about "unlikely" instead :).

SFL BassHunter

Quote from: Bretts_daddy on October 17, 2017, 01:20:56 PM
I guess I used a poor choice of words when I said "impossible"...how about "unlikely" instead :).

Unlikely all depends on your skill level.

Like I mentioned the Tatula SV is supposed to be nearly impossible to backlash. I say "Hold my beer!"  ~roflmao
Florida Bass Fishing

Bretts_daddy

yeah, I just don't have the cash to get one of those right now plus I think it's a little overkill for a 7 year old :). I would rather he start off with a reel that i won't really care if he drops it or scratches it etc.

SFL BassHunter

Quote from: Bretts_daddy on October 17, 2017, 01:53:52 PM
yeah, I just don't have the cash to get one of those right now plus I think it's a little overkill for a 7 year old :). I would rather he start off with a reel that i won't really care if he drops it or scratches it etc.

I agree with you.
I wouldn't get him one of those either.

Florida Bass Fishing

SteveTX

OK I am gonna suggest a LEW'S® SPEED SPOOL® LFS SERIES.

• compact frame that will fit a youths hands extremely well
  • over all weight is very light again excellent for a youth
  • a quality aluminum framed reel
  • up to 15lb drag
  • 95mm handle
  • very affordable 6.8:1 $78.99 or 7.5:1 $83.00 or less if you shop
I am not claiming the reel will never backlash, or that it will compete with a reel priced much higher. What I am saying is it is durable, it will cast extremely well distance wise. Once set up properly that is easy to do no special tricks to set one up the reel doesn't backlash any more than any other decent reel. And it has most features like the 95mm handle quality brakes that a higher end reel has at a affordable entry price point. You may even be able to pick up a MB or higher end one if the sale is right. LMG just scored on some Super Dutys for $99

SteelHorseCowboy

The Shimano Caenan I got is very hard to backlash. I hardly even use my thumb.
Might wanna scour ebay and pawnshops.

LgMouthGambler

Quote from: SteelHorseCowboy on October 17, 2017, 03:05:34 PM
The Shimano Caenan I got is very hard to backlash. I hardly even use my thumb.
Might wanna scour ebay and pawnshops.

This is an excellent option as well. If you can find them for close to $40-50, it would be a good investment.
My wife says she is gonna leave me if I go fishing one more time........lord how I will miss that woman.

Lipripper

Quote from: LgMouthGambler on October 17, 2017, 03:10:54 PM
This is an excellent option as well. If you can find them for close to $40-50, it would be a good investment.

Some Walmart has them for around $65

Kats Rule And Bass Drool.Viet Nam Vet

Princeton_Man

Lot's of good recommendations here. I'd favor the lower end Lew's. You start him out with the magnetic cast control breaking system set high and back it off as he progresses. Another thing you can do is pull off about 10-15 yards of line and put a piece of electrical tape over the remaining line on the spool. Work with him with that first. WHEN he gets a backlash, it won't be so hard to pick out.

Use the UltimateBass Sale/Trade/Auction group on Facebook. You can usually find good deals on used reels there and if if you don't find one, post in the group to let folks know what you're looking for. 
Stratos 285 XL Pro 150 Evinrude ETEC

Dobyns Rods - LSCR Club

SteelHorseCowboy

Electrical tape on the spool? That sounds like a great idea for a learner, kinda like training wheels!

Mike Cork

I'm not going to suggest a reel but more of a concept.

Buying cheap only leads to buying more, either it gets broken or the childs skills quickly out grow the reels capabilities. A quality reel right now will aid in anti backlash which drives up the entertainment value for the child. Fishing trips with no frustration, while as impossible as a no backlash reel, reducing frustrations leads to a better outing which leads to a child hooked on fishing and a reel that will get thousands of dollars of use from.

So over the years that buying a quality piece of equipment for a youngster has so much good. From great fishing adventures to learning how to take care of your stuff. The new Shimano Citica can be dialed down and he could get a birds nest with the help of an Osprey.

Fishing is more than just a hobby

Dobyns Rods - Monster Fishing Tackle
Cork's Reel Service

loomisguy

No chance I would hand a baitcaster to a 7 year old. Too much chance of frustration for him .
I've had a few that age and I would always give them a spinning rod..

Bretts_daddy

Quote from: loomisguy on October 18, 2017, 11:24:39 AM
No chance I would hand a baitcaster to a 7 year old. Too much chance of frustration for him .
I've had a few that age and I would always give them a spinning rod..
That thought entered my mind too, thought maybe a Shimano spinning reel with the quickfire trigger.

Mike Cork

The youngest I've had success with a bait caster with is 8. I wouldn't be afraid to try a 7 year old especially if they have casting in general down. If they haven't held a rod very much then a spinning rod would be a better choice. However, spinning rods are not without their birds nests and line twist can be brutal. A bait caster handles this better.

Fishing is more than just a hobby

Dobyns Rods - Monster Fishing Tackle
Cork's Reel Service

LgMouthGambler

Why not just spool a spincaster with braid?

Oldfart9999

Quote from: LgMouthGambler on October 18, 2017, 03:07:05 PM
Why not just spool a spincaster with braid?
Good idea and good ones aren't that expensive. A spinning reel would work, a smaller size to fit his hands. I wouldn't get a quick cast, teach him to cast and close the bail by hand, it's easy and helps cut back on line twist.
Rodney
Old Fishermen never die, their rods just go limp.