Ultimate Bass ULTIMATE BASS | BASS FISHING CLASSIFIED ADS | CONTACT US    

Bass Fishing information about bass boats, tackle, fishing rods, baitcasters and other reels all about bass fishing.
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Tapatalk should be back up. Please report issues -->here<--. Thank you!

Page Down
FREE TACKLE EVERY WEEK

Bass Anglers Magazine - The Best bass fishing magazine on the rack! Subscribe Today and Catch More Bass

NuTech Lures

Doc Irv Custom Baits

Life Vantage

Get Bit Outdoors

Fishing Frenzy Tackle

Bass Anglers Magazine - The Best bass fishing magazine on the rack! Subscribe Today and Catch More Bass

Bass Boats For Sale Free Classified Ads

Laurie Cork
Ph. (318)347-7380
You can Email Me Here

Mike Cork
Ph. (318)560-9827

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Reel Maintenance  (Read 274 times)

FlatsNBay

• Lunker
  • Go Noles!
Reel Maintenance
« on: October 19, 2017, 02:56:45 PM »

This question goes out to LMG or Mike Cork.

For the average angler that doesn't like to break a reel down any further than taking out the spool, what cleaning and lubing advice can you give us? I had heard to put a drop of oil on each bearing and a drop of grease on any gears. Is that correct? There are plenty of contradicting YouTube videos out there on reel maintenance that can make it confusing!

LgMouthGambler

• Charter Member
  • Shimano, Daiwa, HawgTech, Dobyns, LSCR, Megabass
Re: Reel Maintenance
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2017, 03:01:09 PM »

This is correct. However, mixing certain oils and grease can have a counter effect. So just keep that in mind. If you have someone service your reels, you might want to ask them what they are using on your reels (if they will disclose that to you. And I say this because I dont give my reel grease secret away, but I will tell you what bearing oil to use.).
My wife says she is gonna leave me if I go fishing one more time........lord how I will miss that woman.

rickdelprado

• Charter Member
  • SFL BassHunter
« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2017, 03:32:02 PM »

Funny, LMG and I were just discussing this over text.

I use the same oil on my bearings he has used on my reels just to keep things consistent.

This is so that I can remember my personal bests: Weight 6lbs 5oz / Length 24.25 inches.

FlatsNBay

• Lunker
  • Go Noles!
« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2017, 04:51:50 PM »

How often should I add a drop of oil and grease? I was thinking every time that I change line?

LgMouthGambler

• Charter Member
« Reply #4 on: October 19, 2017, 05:42:20 PM »

Depends on many factors. What type of oil are you using. Lighter oils that make bearing performance better, require more maintenance than a thicker oil. Also, there is the variable of usage of the reel. As far as grease, the grease I use will hold up for years without needing any "additional" grease. However, there will be dirt and such that will get caught up in the grease which is why you need to remove and replace with new grease. Just adding grease does not really do anything unless it was not properly done in the first place. Reels like Lews that have a "service port" is really nothing more than a gimmick for people that have no idea of a proper service. Kinda like someone that will use the reel without a full service in its life, but rather will just "patch" it along. Those are the "tournament" types that usually replace reels every 2 years or so. Does that help explain anything? If not I can clarify more if you need in a certain area.

<")))>{
My wife says she is gonna leave me if I go fishing one more time........lord how I will miss that woman.

FlatsNBay

• Lunker
  • Go Noles!
« Reply #5 on: October 19, 2017, 06:28:39 PM »

Yep, that helps! Thanks LMG.

rickdelprado

• Charter Member
  • SFL BassHunter
« Reply #6 on: October 19, 2017, 06:37:11 PM »

Depends on many factors. What type of oil are you using. Lighter oils that make bearing performance better, require more maintenance than a thicker oil. Also, there is the variable of usage of the reel. As far as grease, the grease I use will hold up for years without needing any "additional" grease. However, there will be dirt and such that will get caught up in the grease which is why you need to remove and replace with new grease. Just adding grease does not really do anything unless it was not properly done in the first place. Reels like Lews that have a "service port" is really nothing more than a gimmick for people that have no idea of a proper service. Kinda like someone that will use the reel without a full service in its life, but rather will just "patch" it along. Those are the "tournament" types that usually replace reels every 2 years or so. Does that help explain anything? If not I can clarify more if you need in a certain area.

<")))>{

I would like to know about this service port deal. So some reels have the service port and they come with oil. Like lews. Lews comes with its own oil bottle. At least the lews I have did. Where does this service port lead? Does it lead to the gears? If so are they using oil in their gears and expect you to oil your gears regularly since oil and grease are different?
Or does the service port lead to one of the bearings so that you "never have to take it out"

This is so that I can remember my personal bests: Weight 6lbs 5oz / Length 24.25 inches.

LgMouthGambler

• Charter Member
« Reply #7 on: October 19, 2017, 07:37:06 PM »

I would like to know about this service port deal. So some reels have the service port and they come with oil. Like lews. Lews comes with its own oil bottle. At least the lews I have did. Where does this service port lead? Does it lead to the gears? If so are they using oil in their gears and expect you to oil your gears regularly since oil and grease are different?
Or does the service port lead to one of the bearings so that you "never have to take it out"
The service port of these reels leads to the gears, and they are located at the bottom of the gear box. Alot of manufacturers lead people to believe that they are to add oil to the gears. At least that is what i have seen in some of the papers that come with some reels. Most reels that you buy, like Shimano and Daiwa will come with a small bottle of oil. This oil is for the bearings. In the instructions, some may show that they are motioning to add to gears, but that is not a good idea. Again, most people dont know what is the proper way to service reels, and a lot of the maintenance papers are misinforming.

<")))>{

Mike Cork

• Father Time
  • Admin
  • Get the Net it's a Hawg
    • Ultimate Bass
« Reply #8 on: October 24, 2017, 08:41:05 AM »

LgMouth is all over this, the only thing I will add is that adding oil through the service port to your gears is also putting oil on your drag system. This will ruin most drag washers and require a rebuild of the drag system in a very short time.

I tell all my customers to never open the port. If their reel has trouble bring it to me and we'll take a look.
Fishing is more than just a hobby

Dobyns Rods - Monster Fishing Tackle
Cork's Reel Service

rickdelprado

• Charter Member
  • SFL BassHunter
« Reply #9 on: October 24, 2017, 08:47:24 AM »

Thanks LMG and Mike.

That makes sense, I would also think adding oil to gears that have grease would not be a good thing. I've never used the service port just because I always had a hunch it lead to gears. Common sense tells me that's not something I want to be doing.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Monster Fishing Tactle is the best place to buy your tackle needs Check them out online

When Bass Fishing Is More than Just a Hobby - Dobyns Rods

The most innovative and technologically advanced fishing rod blanks on the planet

Get Chomped at Mega Chomp Lure Company and Get The Best Baits for your Money

QUICK LINKS
UB Home
Main Forum
Welcome
Dock Talk
Techniques
Rods and Reels
Tackle Box
Catch of the Day
UB Contests
Tips and Ideas
Sponsor Connection
Fishing Reports
Charter Members Only
Bass Fishing Classified Ads
Boats 4 Sale

BECOME A
CHARTER MEMBER
SUPPORT UB

Find out about the contests before everyone else and know about the latest news first

Page Up

Page created in 0.062 seconds with 36 queries.