Horizontal vs. vertical

Started by Oldfart9999, October 20, 2017, 12:35:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Oldfart9999

Fall is here, the nights are getting cold and the days are up and down. I had water temps of 60 to 62 this morning, the shallow grass is dying, the bait is scattered. I caught 6 in about an hour throwing a little square bill(2 inches) in shallow water(11/2 feet to about 6 feet) where there was no grass, the shallow grass is dying. You can not only find them but horizontal baits may be the best way to score a limit, at least here.
Which way do you go, remember it's not turn over or late fall.
Rodney 
Old Fishermen never die, their rods just go limp.

njpaulc

I'd keep doing what you're doing until they stop biting, then move to the outside edge of the green weeds and throw a deeper diving crankbait and then fish my way into the grass with a jig or a worm.

merc1997

fishing a lure that has horizontal movement or something that has more of a vertical drop is definitely something that most bassers do not think about and apply nearly enough.  thanks for bringing up the subject.

bo
On Heaven's Lake

Mike Cork

I fish mostly shallow lakes and we have three choices vertically horizontally and then I concider topwater a category of its own. Year round these are options and can change day to day. Even in the dead of winter when everyone is pitching jigs, after a couple days in the upper sixties you better try a slow topwater

Fishing is more than just a hobby

Dobyns Rods - Monster Fishing Tackle
Cork's Reel Service

zSTLj

Interesting  ideas/ strategys . I like small all black finesse jig with no trailers. Very little movement and just let him sit and sit. Got skunked plenty but I have got a few decent ones thruout winter

Wizard

Many lures can be fished both horizontally and vertically. Slab spoons, lipless cranks, Little George, etc. Even a DD22 can be fished as a topwater. I almost left out one of my favorites, the short arm spinnerbait.

Wizard