[Bassmaster Opens] B.A.S.S. Bans Tunnel Hulls in Opens

Started by Lipripper, October 20, 2017, 04:39:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Lipripper

B.A.S.S. puts end to tunnel hulls in Opens
(Editor's note: This BassFan article was updated on Tuesday, Oct. 17 with comments from Ott DeFoe.)

Competitors in the Bassmaster Opens in 2018 will not be permitted to use a jet drive engine or tunnel hull boat, according to the tournament rules for next year posted on the B.A.S.S. website.

A portion of Rule 10, regarding boats and motors, has been rewritten to read:

"Only gas tanks that are installed by the boat manufacturer are allowed. No portable gas tanks or containers capable of holding gasoline can be placed anywhere on the tournament waters or shoreline for use by any tournament competitor. No "barges" or similar craft will be permitted. No boat equipped with "stick steering" shall be permitted. "Stick steering" shall be as defined by the Tournament Director. Jet drive engines and tunnel hull boats are not allowed during both official practice and competition. Any boat/hull designs other than standard mass produced units are only allowed at the discretion of tournament officials."

Previously, the portion of the rule stated: "All bladder tanks and any other type of auxiliary gas tanks that are not installed by the boat manufacturer are prohibited. Additional gas tanks that are factory options and installed by a manufacturer's authorized dealer are permitted. Boats that do not have factory-installed gas tanks are restricted to a maximum of 18 gallons of gasoline in tanks that meet U.S. Coast Guard regulations. Gas tanks must be properly secured or strapped in a boat."

The changes come in the wake of Ott DeFoe's victory last month at the Douglas Lake Northern Open in which he used a customized Tracker Grizzly 1754 MVX SC aluminum boat.

"I'm disappointed in the rule change," DeFoe said. "Innovation is what drives this sport and this has crippled it for shallow water boats. I will continue to abide by all of B.A.S.S.'s rules and do my best as a professional angler."

Drew Benton finished 6th fishing out of a custom-built aluminum rig and Mike Watson, who was 2nd after day 1 with 16-09, competed in a 20-foot aluminum boat he built from scratch.

Benton was not supportive of the rule change and said he has reached out to B.A.S.S. officials to clarify whether his boat will be allowed in an Open next year. He hadn't received a response as of the time of this writing.

"I think it's unfortunate because it gave anglers an opportunity to think outside the box and get away from the crowd," he said. "It's a deal where it's a decision you have to make. It's a gamble and a risk and it's a give and take. You're losing speed and the ability to run all over the lake for the ability to get to part of the lake you can't with a fiberglass boat. It's no different than having four or five graphs and Power-Poles on a boat that we can use now."

Among other rule changes for 2018 are:

> The use of non-puncturing cull clips will be mandatory in 2018.

> Anglers who do not remove fin clips (a manmade weight designed to help deep-caught fish stabilize in the livewell) prior to verification will be assessed a 4-ounce penalty per clip.

Kats Rule And Bass Drool.Viet Nam Vet

Mike Cork

That's crazy, I guess it's because of the low draft and it would give them an unfair advantage. There are now a couple boat companies that are not very happy....

Fishing is more than just a hobby

Dobyns Rods - Monster Fishing Tackle
Cork's Reel Service

Lipripper

That is crazy but what can they do if they want to play in the BASS sandbox they have to play by their rules.

Kats Rule And Bass Drool.Viet Nam Vet

Mike Cork

Cork's Reel Service

Nutt

Personally I don't care either way, but would lean towards agreeing with the rule change.  Now if they did allow you to fish out of the boat, say like the one Ott fished out of, you should fish out of it all season.  In other words, declare the boat your fishing out of at the first of the year and stick with it.  I dunno, maybe I'm not flexible enough.  Mike, you know that around our parts, a tiller handle boat isn't allowed in a lot of the tournaments.   
Doctor says I should stay away from other people.

Mike Cork

I like the idea of declaring for the year :-*

Most larger tournaments use the no tiller to help reduce insurance for the overall event. Basically to a insurance company a steering wheel is safer because striking an object can't jerk it out of your hands and it gives the driver something to hold onto to stabilize their selves.

Cork's Reel Service

Polaris425

I thought that's the way it was anyway... you had to declare and stick with it. Maybe I'm thinking of something else. There were several anglers fishing from aluminum boats, but they had to fish that same boat all year. They couldn't switch.
Fishin' Alabama
Building Rods, & Snatchin' Lips.

LgMouthGambler

I think its a bad rule. If you are smart enough to go slower and float higher when needed, I think thats just a good of move as it is to get the best electronics to be able to fish the deep lakes for deep fish.
My wife says she is gonna leave me if I go fishing one more time........lord how I will miss that woman.

Team KaRu

Sounds like what NASCAR did to their events with everyone having to see the same qualifications?
PB: 10.3 lbs - Lake Fork

Deadeye

This goes way back before this last event that brought it up again.

Way back when Roland Martin was showed a bunch of big smallies that the only way to get to them was with an aluminum Jet Boat and he used one for the Tournament and won it. No one else could get to them and he walked away with it.

To keep the field even they declared no one could do that again. Evidently someone did and once again those that did not adjust cried fowl and BASS agreed with them.

Same with the extra fuel rule. If you set up re-fill stations you can run further than anyone else.

SteveTX

I don't fish tournaments never have so I don't keep up with all the rules. However I did motorsports for years and as Team KaRu stated look at NASCAR. The more they keep taking the ingenuity out of it the less entertaining the sport becomes. The cookie cutter stuff is not eye appealing to a spectator. Remember the IROC racing series where the whole idea was identical cars and setups? Probably not it didnt last long at all even with all big name professional drivers. Look at NHRA and again its the fat cats making the calls that are out of touch. The fan base loves ingenuity. Different cars(boats) and ways to get the job done and they keep cutting it out and attendance keeps dropping.  ::) If spectators are not entertained or have different new stuff to talk about and see people lose interest.

To me sounds like a bunch of SJWs crying they got their tail kicked in by a angler that was smarter than they were. Bunch of babies couldn't stand it they weren't willing to or smart enough to go where the fish were. That and they probably lobbied the boat manufacturers to get on their side. This makes it where all slots are filled with big name company bass boats only.

I can say if I went to a big Professional tournament I think it would be kick ass to see a jet boat or two, Kayaks, and some Tracker Grizzly boats in the mix. Of course Mr I have $80k bass boat would cry foul like a little girl if one of them won. Its always been this way. This is why we have a rule book so fat in every competition. Someone always thinks they got cheated and they need another rule.  ::) 

Maybe they should limit the "four or five graphs" down to a reasonable 2 graphs. Ahh but no we cant touch that sponsor stuff. Lets just keep looking retarded and stack another 5 or so on each boat because that is less of a advantage than a style of boat.  ;)

Other sports have proven the more you clamp down and cater to sponsors the worse it gets. Why some seem to think they are above this fact who knows.

I really don't care it affects me and my fishing zero amount but the rule is a bad rule imho.

coldfront

Quote from: Mike Cork on October 23, 2017, 04:44:09 PM
That's crazy, I guess it's because of the low draft and it would give them an unfair advantage. There are now a couple boat companies that are not very happy....

what I was thinking, all BASS had to do was put those upper reaches 'out of limits' and problem was solved.

could simply have used existing rules and not had to create a new one.

intriguing.

cojab

Quote from: SteveTX on October 28, 2017, 10:47:16 AM
I don't fish tournaments never have so I don't keep up with all the rules. However I did motorsports for years and as Team KaRu stated look at NASCAR. The more they keep taking the ingenuity out of it the less entertaining the sport becomes. The cookie cutter stuff is not eye appealing to a spectator. Remember the IROC racing series where the whole idea was identical cars and setups? Probably not it didnt last long at all even with all big name professional drivers. Look at NHRA and again its the fat cats making the calls that are out of touch. The fan base loves ingenuity. Different cars(boats) and ways to get the job done and they keep cutting it out and attendance keeps dropping.  ::) If spectators are not entertained or have different new stuff to talk about and see people lose interest.

To me sounds like a bunch of SJWs crying they got their tail kicked in by a angler that was smarter than they were. Bunch of babies couldn't stand it they weren't willing to or smart enough to go where the fish were. That and they probably lobbied the boat manufacturers to get on their side. This makes it where all slots are filled with big name company bass boats only.

I can say if I went to a big Professional tournament I think it would be kick ass to see a jet boat or two, Kayaks, and some Tracker Grizzly boats in the mix. Of course Mr I have $80k bass boat would cry foul like a little girl if one of them won. Its always been this way. This is why we have a rule book so fat in every competition. Someone always thinks they got cheated and they need another rule.  ::) 

Maybe they should limit the "four or five graphs" down to a reasonable 2 graphs. Ahh but no we cant touch that sponsor stuff. Lets just keep looking retarded and stack another 5 or so on each boat because that is less of a advantage than a style of boat.  ;)

Other sports have proven the more you clamp down and cater to sponsors the worse it gets. Why some seem to think they are above this fact who knows.

I really don't care it affects me and my fishing zero amount but the rule is a bad rule imho.

Good points made here.

I have to agree that I like seeing someone think outside the box a little and maybe work a little harder than others to gain an advantage. It does keep some excitement in the sport, gets people talking, and possibly brings up everyones game a notch.
Well, except those that are doing the whining your talking about. If they would fish instead of complain they might be surprised at what they too could accomplish.

As long as it's done legally and within the current rules, have at it.
TTK has spoken.

Wizard

Deadeye is right on. Roland used the boat at the New York Open. The boat was not the only problem with what took place. Roland did not find his own fish. He used a guide to fish the waters and the guide found the bass. The guide told him where they were and that he needed an aluminum jet boat to get through some very skinny water to reach the bass.  The other anglers didn't know about the bass because they couldn't pre fish the water with their fiberglass hulls. No one had used an aluminum boat at a BASS event in many years. It was "understood" that you used your sponsor's fiberglass boat.
Roland had been in retirement for a few years and wanted to come back and make a big splash. Now, I'm not a fan of Roland Martin. He had always been known to stretch the rules without truly breaking them. The rules against what he did were "understood" rules. He did not break the official written rules. Two changes came from that tournament. You had to use the boat you used to pre fish the tournament. The second was you could not have someone pre fish for you. Roland got and kept the win but he lost the respect of many anglers on the tour. Many thought that when the protests took place, he got to keep the win because he was Ray's "boy".
I feel that if you show up with a tin boat and pre fish from it, you should e allowed to use it during the tournament BUT it has to be used throughout the entire tournament. Everyone has access to on-line maps and advice for every lake on the tour. You have about 8 months to research a lake and make decisions on boats, lures, tackle, etc. Everyone is on a level playing field.

Wizard

Oldfart9999

Quote from: Wizard on October 29, 2017, 09:41:41 AM
Deadeye is right on. Roland used the boat at the New York Open. The boat was not the only problem with what took place. Roland did not find his own fish. He used a guide to fish the waters and the guide found the bass. The guide told him where they were and that he needed an aluminum jet boat to get through some very skinny water to reach the bass.  The other anglers didn't know about the bass because they couldn't pre fish the water with their fiberglass hulls. No one had used an aluminum boat at a BASS event in many years. It was "understood" that you used your sponsor's fiberglass boat.
Roland had been in retirement for a few years and wanted to come back and make a big splash. Now, I'm not a fan of Roland Martin. He had always been known to stretch the rules without truly breaking them. The rules against what he did were "understood" rules. He did not break the official written rules. Two changes came from that tournament. You had to use the boat you used to pre fish the tournament. The second was you could not have someone pre fish for you. Roland got and kept the win but he lost the respect of many anglers on the tour. Many thought that when the protests took place, he got to keep the win because he was Ray's "boy".
I feel that if you show up with a tin boat and pre fish from it, you should e allowed to use it during the tournament BUT it has to be used throughout the entire tournament. Everyone has access to on-line maps and advice for every lake on the tour. You have about 8 months to research a lake and make decisions on boats, lures, tackle, etc. Everyone is on a level playing field.

Wizard

That tournament was the Connecticut River. Mark Mendez did the same deal for the last tournament he won, it was the only way he could get into his area.
Rodney
Old Fishermen never die, their rods just go limp.

Bud Kennedy

I don't like the idea of this rule change to level the playing field.  Any angler was able to use an aluminum boat if they wanted and they chose not to.  In my opinion that was their problem.  Kinda reminds me of giving money to folks who don't want to work for it. I am concerned that creating rules like this one just further stifles innovation.  As most of you know this kind of stuff is what is ruining NASCAR as well.  Rule changing under the guise of leveling the playing field just isn't fair to the innovators within the sport.  I guess in the years ahead everyone that goes to a tournament will be given a participation trophy and the same amount of prize money just to make it fair.

Wizard

You may be right, Rodney. My memory isn't as sharp on that event as I didn't fish it. Every time I get together with old anglers at a bar-b-que or luncheon, Roland's name comes up. He is a polarizing figure. Most either love him or hate him. He did help grow BASS and was the "face" of the tour for a decade and a half.
By the way, I agree about no tunnel hulls in tournaments. They are an inherently dangerous design. They were used many years ago and there are drawbacks to them. They couldn't be used on a lake such as LOZ without anglers risking death.

Wizard

SteveTX

Quote from: Bud Kennedy on October 29, 2017, 09:54:57 AM
I don't like the idea of this rule change to level the playing field.  Any angler was able to use an aluminum boat if they wanted and they chose not to.  In my opinion that was their problem.  Kinda reminds me of giving money to folks who don't want to work for it. I am concerned that creating rules like this one just further stifles innovation.  As most of you know this kind of stuff is what is ruining NASCAR as well.  Rule changing under the guise of leveling the playing field just isn't fair to the innovators within the sport.  I guess in the years ahead everyone that goes to a tournament will be given a participation trophy and the same amount of prize money just to make it fair.
You are exactly right Bud. Any angler was able to use an aluminum boat if they wanted and they chose not to. Nothing but cry babies complaining because they got spanked at their game.

Quote from: Oldfart9999 on October 29, 2017, 09:47:02 AM
That tournament was the Connecticut River. Mark Mendez did the same deal for the last tournament he won, it was the only way he all the anglers could get into his area.
Let me fix that for ya.  ;)

Roland out smarted the field period. He found his fish by using his brain and prepared just like thousands of anglers do when they go to a lake they are not comfortable they will find the better fishing. To me its no different than the guy having 5 of the most state of the art fish finders pointing out fish for him. Except they are stupid looking and sponsors paid for them.  ::) Roland still had to trust the guide and hope he was right. Just because the fish are found doesn't mean your going to catch them. Isn't that what I always hear when I say, they should make the angler find the fish no electronic fish finder should be on a "professional" boat trying to prove he is the greatest.
As far as "The other anglers didn't know about the bass because they couldn't pre fish the water with their fiberglass hulls." Again the other anglers didn't know because they didn't do as good a research. It had nothing to do with the boat. This is like blaming the gun for murders.  ~b~ Banning a boat because you got spanked doesn't change the fact you got spanked by a angler who apparently out smarted you and probably will again based on your response to the spanking you just got.  ;)

Roland didn't break any rule because "understood" is not a rule. Race car owners/drivers love rule books. The reason is once you put it down in black and white it leaves everything else wide open and even that black and white rule can have many many interpretations. Either its a rule or it isn't. Don't start a rule book if "understood" is the rules.

If anyone "lost respect" for him it was a but hurt baby that couldn't face the fact a old retired guy beat them period. There was no respect needed from said angler they had none to give.

Just asking, If tunnel hulls are an inherently dangerous design why should they just be banned from tournaments? I mean isn't public safety a bigger concern? Aren't there thousands a day being used all over the place? I'm no boat expert but is their no hp rating on these like other boats and weight limits from the factory? No matter what, we cant control every accident that happens with every motorized piece of equipment. A bass boats wrecked by a idiot driving does not make a bass boat a bad design its a bad driver right?

Wizard

Steve, the only argument I can put up is about rules and fair competition. The tour and tournament directors set tour rules and then rules for each event. You're trying to identify the best angler under the condition of a level playing field. The idea is that everyone follows the rules precisely and not to find a way around the rules. The angler with the best knowledge and application of that knowledge should be the winner. Luck is a great factor in tournament fishing. Given that, skirting the rules is a moral decision. There is money involved, which leads to unethical decision making. Ethical people follow rules. Unethical people look to violate or skirt the rules.

Wizard

topdsm0138

Quote from: Team KaRu on October 27, 2017, 03:49:54 PM
Sounds like what NASCAR did to their events with everyone having to see the same qualifications?
That's what I was thinking. They probably want to try and keep a "level" playing field. I'm surprised there's no HP limit yet. Then again, people like me have NO say or opinion in it as we will never have money enough to compete with those guys.

Sent from my SM-J700P using Tapatalk
"I'm a simple man, with simple pleasures." -Trevor Belmont

SteveTX

Quote from: Wizard on October 29, 2017, 11:29:47 AM
Steve, the only argument I can put up is about rules and fair competition. The tour and tournament directors set tour rules and then rules for each event. You're trying to identify the best angler under the condition of a level playing field. The idea is that everyone follows the rules precisely and not to find a way around the rules. The angler with the best knowledge and application of that knowledge should be the winner. Luck is a great factor in tournament fishing. Given that, skirting the rules is a moral decision. There is money involved, which leads to unethical decision making. Ethical people follow rules. Unethical people look to violate or skirt the rules.

Wizard
Oh that is a big problem. I don't think that is the case at all. Trying to identify the best angler or trying to make money?  Lets go back to my previous statement. If your trying to find the best angler get rid of the fish finders immediately. The best will find fish without them. They did for years and even I can usually find fish at a new lake without my junk old finder. All they care about is if there are guys out there fishing and to some extent making a show of some sort. This is 100% sponsor driven to make $.

As far as the idea is that everyone follows the rules precisely and not to find a way around the rules. Is also a big issue. The moment you create a rule book you are saying these are the rules period. You cant start back tracking and go its "understood" or your "skirting the rules". You cant have it both ways you said "precisely" the moment you wrote the rules. That is what made them precise. Either its a rule and its in the book or its not a rule and you have done nothing wrong. You persecuting someone for playing by your rule book and yet only because he won he is unethical? skirting? No he played by their book and broke no rule in the book.

This same stuff happens in motor sports. Exactly why I said racers love it when you make a rule book. Its either a rule or it isn't you cant have a rule book then some mystical rules everyone is suppose to go by based on each persons beliefs. And this is clear as someone doing something completely legal by their rule book getting hammered as not respected and unethical skirting etc because that is some individuals belief.

This is a pure and simple money game. Yes its about fishing but take the money away and lets see how long you have 5 fish finders on these expensive sponsored boats showing up in all these conditions. Bet ya BASS doesn't make it a year if you take the money away.  Here is a 10yr old 2007 article that shows about the $. Fans aren't that large to support these pay checks but sponsors are. 
QuoteMost BASS fans know that sponsor dollars have long been the lifeblood of the touring pros. Without it, tournament fishing becomes professional gambling, as they would be competing strictly for their own entry fees.
source https://www.bassmaster.com/news/show-me-money

Wizard

Entirely true about sponsors driving the sport. I don't believe that anyone who has ever won a BASS event by stretching or skirting the rules has not received their winnings. The anglers grumble and protest but the final standing remains the same. What happens is that rules are changed to eliminate the loop hole. This happens in a lot of sports. If actual cheating occurred, that angler is out of the business. Now, back to sponsors and manufacturers. They not only drive the tours, in essence, they control the tournaments. Of all the people making money from the fishing tournaments, the anglers make the least. Unless it's a charity event, the tour owner or tournament director is making money. The money that is not returned in tournament winnings goes into someone's pocket. Usually that is the mentioned people. Think about this. A smaller trail usually has one owner and he is the director. He is staging the tournaments to make a living for himself. If people complain about the winner bending the rules and nothing is done about it, fewer will participate in his tournaments. So, if the written rules weren't violated but anglers are pissed, he makes rule changes for future events. He has a winner, the protesters are placated and the money remains in his pocket. Everybody is happy. lol
Manufacturers have to sell product to remain in business. The fishing industry is particularly tough. Bait builders go out of business a lot. Boat companies go out of business or are bought out. Fishing is a business with one of the highest patent infringements. Everyone involved is chasing a dollar and there are few new dollars involved. The average age of anglers is always getting higher and there are less kids participating. The number of dollars to be made is static and to many, the sport is slowly dying. The only way to survive is to make new products and convince anglers they need to buy them. Tournaments and sponsorship are the vehicles they use to show product and remain in business. Now that I've totally bored you I'll admit to the problem. I was once a fishing pimp.

Wizard

cojab

Quote from: Wizard on October 29, 2017, 09:41:41 AM
The boat was not the only problem with what took place. Roland did not find his own fish. He used a guide to fish the waters and the guide found the bass.
Wizard

Wiz I have a question. Were you allowed to have others find your fish in those days?
Isn't there a rule now about even talking to someone about the lake your going to be fishing (about fishing) like a week or something before the tournament?

Either way having someone finding your fish for you crosees the line. That shouldn't even need to be in a rule book.
TTK has spoken.

Oldfart9999

Quote from: SteveTX on October 29, 2017, 11:01:27 AM
You are exactly right Bud. Any angler was able to use an aluminum boat if they wanted and they chose not to. Nothing but cry babies complaining because they got spanked at their game.

Just exactly what needed fixing in my post? All I did was state simple facts!! Period!! I stated no opinion so my post didn't need to be "Fixed" by opinions that are not facts!!
Rodney
Old Fishermen never die, their rods just go limp.

SteveTX

Granted I dont know the exact who gets what but I understand its a business.

QuoteThe average age of anglers is always getting higher and there are less kids participating. The number of dollars to be made is static and to many, the sport is slowly dying. The only way to survive is to make new products and convince anglers they need to buy them. Tournaments and sponsorship are the vehicles they use to show product and remain in business.
So that tells me the BASS organizers are no better than the ones running many motor sports.  The common thread is they all suck at it or have no plan to correct the issues or save the sport.

I always get concerned when told there is only one way, one choice, one resolution, or one way to survive in this case. To me there is almost always more ways than one to skin a cat. So this tells me the leadership of BASS isn't to bright or plain old don't give a hoot.

As you stated earlier the organization makes the rules. So why don't they quit letting the anglers dictate the rules by crying about rules that didn't exist when beat and start making the rules to improve the sport. Take some sponsorship dollars that is being wasted and use it to get youth involved. Like limit fish finders to 2 max per boat. The money the sponsor was spending putting 3 more on each boat could go right into this fund. Unless the kids daddy is wealthy he doesn't have a chance in this sport like many others. By their rules like the one here limiting it to a particular boat they are killing their own sport. Cap the max cost on a boat instead of $100000.00 rides get back to reality where people can actually relate to the sport. I know that is simplistic but someone in the sport heavily that has some business savvy would know where and how to cut the fat. Usually major restructuring has its pains and upsets some but whats more important lining the wealthy pockets till the sport dies or saving the sport?

Wizard=fishing pimp.  b~o ~roflmao

Quote from: cojab on October 29, 2017, 07:19:12 PM
Wiz I have a question. Were you allowed to have others find your fish in those days?
Isn't there a rule now about even talking to someone about the lake your going to be fishing (about fishing) like a week or something before the tournament?

Either way having someone finding your fish for you crosees the line. That shouldn't even need to be in a rule book.
Surely they wouldn't dare make a rule there is no way on earth they could possibly fairly enforce. How in the heck would they do that? Apparently they already have some snowflakes that cry when legally beaten by the rule book. Can you imagine the moment they got beat with that rule in place. All they would have to do is say he(the winner) was seen at the boat ramp next to a truck with _____ & _____ fishing guide service on the back glass.  lo ::) I can see it now a cell phone pic of him walking past a parked truck entered as evidence.  lo
I agree having someones program finding fish for you is a little much when these guys are suppose to be the best of the best. Why should they be allowed these cheats.  ~roflmao >:D  Id be willing to bet many tournaments were won before fish finder came about.

Quote from: Oldfart9999 on October 29, 2017, 07:33:56 PM
Quote from: SteveTX on October 29, 2017, 11:01:27 AM

Just exactly what needed fixing in my post? All I did was state simple facts!! Period!! I stated no opinion so my post didn't need to be "Fixed" by opinions that are not facts!!
Rodney
Easy there Oldfart9999! I technically didn't change your post I am no admin here. I didn't change your "fact" I just made it more inclusive and it is still a fact. It is not opinion Mark Mendez was not the only angler that could get in there. Every angler could have got in just like him they just weren't either by lack of knowledge or because they didn't want to. I didn't say what you said was incorrect at all, as a matter a fact I agree with ya. Didn't mean to upset ya my apologies.