Time for a new rod

Started by Paul G, October 21, 2017, 10:04:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Paul G

Debating between a FR 703C and a FR733C.   What is the difference besides the length?   I own a FR705CB and a FR734C.  Just trying to add something for jigs and senkos.  Reel will be a Shimano 201IHG

zippyduck

the 734 should work for both. a 3 power is kinda light for jigs but would be great for senkos.
I have a 734 for senkos and other lures and a 744 for jigs in wood cover. I'm buying a 736 for heavy cover next.
I have found that the 7'3" rods are a little more parabolic than the 7' rods in the same power.
3rd place 2017 UB IBASS 377.75"
AOY 2018 IBASS Cool Casters  369.00"
AOY 2019 IBASS Cool Casters  362.50"

68camaro

Quote from: zippyduck on October 21, 2017, 10:33:31 PM

I have found that the 7'3" rods are a little more parabolic than the 7' rods in the same power.

For the uneducated, is a 7.3" rod being more parabolic than a 7' mean the 7'3" pins fish better or is the difference something else?
Dobyns, LSCR, JB Custom, Megabass

zippyduck

Quote from: 68camaro on October 22, 2017, 06:28:42 AM
For the uneducated, is a 7.3" rod being more parabolic than a 7' mean the 7'3" pins fish better or is the difference something else?
The more parabolic a rod is , the more bend it has. A glass rod and cranking rods are the most parabolic. The more parabolic a rod is the more it loads up to cast farther but you lose a little accuracy. It is also the reason fish stay pinned on treble baits.

Now the rods i was talking about have just enough to make longer casts but still have lots of backbone to pin the fish on jigs.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

3rd place 2017 UB IBASS 377.75"
AOY 2018 IBASS Cool Casters  369.00"
AOY 2019 IBASS Cool Casters  362.50"

SFL BassHunter

I agree with Zippy the 734 is perfect for jigs and senkos. It's what I use by default for these applications.
Now if you are planning on throwing a finesse worm unweighted then the 734 isn't the best option. At that point I would look for the 3 power.

PB: 6lbs 5oz / 24.25 inches.
Rods/Reels Dobyns, 13 Fishing, Cabelas Arachnid, Daiwa Tatula CT, Tatula SVTW, Tatula Tactical, Tatula Type R
Florida Bass Fishing

Smallie_Stalker

I have the FR 733C. It will throw an unweighted Senko a country mile but I definitely agree that it is too light for jigs. The 734 you own should give you what you are looking for. Are you having problems throwing one or the other with it?
Dobyns Rods   Titan Tungsten   Abu Garcia  Berkley  Pflueger  Spiderwire

bhodge

My two Cents. For open water jigs and just say rocks the 734 is awesome, but as you get thicker cover  I would go to the 735. Doubles as a good frog rod as well and I use it for the 130 whopper plopper as well.The 736 is for the really thick stuff. I have them all in the champion series and they all have their place.

lostboy45b

My two cents goes with Zippy. Get a 734 and you will never wonder what if about the 733.
Dobyns, Megabass, Lucky Craft, Daiwa, Lew's

Paul G

Having problems with unweighted senkos.   

SFL BassHunter

Quote from: Paul G on October 22, 2017, 07:49:28 PM
Having problems with unweighted senkos.
What kind of problems?
Detecting bites or casting? I don't think you should be having an issue casting an unweighted senko with a 734. I do it all the time and I get very good cast distance.
May I ask what reel you are using? Do you have a different reel you can put on the 734 and make the same casts with an unweighted senko to see if the rod is the problem?

Edit:
Then again you have a fury 734, I am not sure if it fishes the same as my savvy 734. Sorry wasn't sure what model you had till I went back and looked at your original post.
PB: 6lbs 5oz / 24.25 inches.
Rods/Reels Dobyns, 13 Fishing, Cabelas Arachnid, Daiwa Tatula CT, Tatula SVTW, Tatula Tactical, Tatula Type R
Florida Bass Fishing

Paul G

Shimano 201IHG  Distance is about 30'  only 1 brake on and tension is loose.  I have a another Shimano same model I will try it.   Thanks for the suggestion

Mike Cork

I agree with most everything said here. the 3 powers are awesome for senkos and light weight plastics. Jigs not so much unless they don't have weed guards. We all might be thinking the wrong kind of jig.

Another issue could be line size. I personally only use 10-12 pound for senko and will use 25 Flouro or 65 pound braid for my jigs. The presentations require completely different lines to get the most out of them.

A 734 in any Dobyns Series should cast a senko a country mile with 10 pound Flouro or 20 pound braid.

You in a bind trying to use two presentations that are not that compatible in equipment types.

Let us know what happens with the reel change.

Fishing is more than just a hobby

Dobyns Rods - Monster Fishing Tackle
Cork's Reel Service

basss

Check out the rep sample or refurbed section, may find a good deal. I have.
1995 Gheenoe Highsider
2018 12' Bote HD Paddleboard