Ultimate Bass ULTIMATE BASS | BASS FISHING CLASSIFIED ADS | CONTACT US    

Bass Fishing information about bass boats, tackle, fishing rods, baitcasters and other reels all about bass fishing.
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Tapatalk should be back up. Please report issues -->here<--. Thank you!

Page Down
FREE TACKLE EVERY WEEK

Bass Anglers Magazine - The Best bass fishing magazine on the rack! Subscribe Today and Catch More Bass

NuTech Lures

Doc Irv Custom Baits

Life Vantage

Get Bit Outdoors

Fishing Frenzy Tackle

Bass Anglers Magazine - The Best bass fishing magazine on the rack! Subscribe Today and Catch More Bass

Bass Boats For Sale Free Classified Ads

Laurie Cork
Ph. (318)347-7380
You can Email Me Here

Mike Cork
Ph. (318)560-9827

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Packing as a Co-Angler  (Read 215 times)

Bud Kennedy

• Charter Member
  • PFD's and KILL SWITCHES SAVE LIVES
Packing as a Co-Angler
« on: October 22, 2017, 10:34:20 AM »

Truly one of the most difficult things to do for a boater is to go on a fishing outing as a co angler.  As a boater we are so used to having all of our stuff in the boat and usually are prepared for use about any circumstance we encounter.  Well, this is not so easy as a co angler.  I try to limit the amount of stuff I pack so I only have what I need.  This means a lot of gut wrenching thought goes into each element of our tackle selection.

Last week on a guide trip to Santee I was not prepared for all the conditions and did not have a lot of choices to use when it came to making a change in tactics.  While this is not a good feeling it certainly has impacted how I am thinking for the upcoming rally at Guntersville.  What do I take and what do I leave home, that is the question.  For the past year I have been only thinking frogs, now it seems that a few more bait types may be warranted due to the condition of the mats and the changing weather. 

My goal is to have three rods and one tackle bag.  The tackle bag has a couple plano boxes and room for some bags of plastics.  The hardest is the selection of the plastics.  Gonna take some swimbaits and some ribbits and a few senkos and that is it.  Most likely I won't use them but you never know.  Most likely only two rods will make the boat with the third set up in reserve just in case.  I will have some back up in the truck if I need to make some modifications to my bait selections but that does not help when you are out on the lake.  Now add the video camera and the still camera and some on water refreshments and next thing you know you have a full load.  My plan is mostly top water but I do have some of my trusty jigs and spinnerbaits if needed.  The good thing about Guntersville if you need something there are places to go buy what you need and I guess that is comforting.

Terry G

• Charter Member
  • Baby Bass
Re: Packing as a Co-Angler
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2017, 10:54:21 AM »

You need a sharing boater.
It makes lite packing easy and has 95% of what you need.
I would rather share than have my non boater OVER pack and clutter the boat.

hairguy

• Charter Member
  • Baby Bass
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2017, 11:10:03 AM »

You need a sharing boater.
It makes lite packing easy and has 95% of what you need.
I would rather share than have my non boater OVER pack and clutter the boat.
I hope that wasn't for me
Lol

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N910A using Tapatalk

sportsmansfriend

• Ultimate Basser
  • (425)299-1861
« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2017, 11:43:35 AM »

When I'm fishing the back of a boat I limit my tackle about the same you do Bud.  Three rods, one box/bag, a small lunch and some water.  I'm not one to change bait much so it's fairly easy for me.  Many times I have the same bait on one rod all day.  I usually start out with a frog on the second and if it's working I leave it on all day as well. 
Ron
Enjoying retirement in the great Pacific Northwest.

Wizard

• Ultimate Basser
  • Deep water angler on highland lakes
« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2017, 12:20:56 PM »

I've back seated tournaments at LOZ with 2 rods and a sandwich bag of baits. If I am the boater, I do as Terry G. stated. I'll let the non boater use my baits as long as he will pay or replace baits he loses or destroys. I hate cluttered boats as it makes it more difficult to land bass. If you aren't good with a net, tell me and I'll land them myself. You lose my bass and it's going to be a long day for you. Also, I have a no smoking/ no chewing boat. Break that rule and you're on the bank.

Wizard

LgMouthGambler

• Charter Member
  • Shimano, Daiwa, HawgTech, Dobyns, LSCR, Megabass
« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2017, 01:03:53 PM »

I think you can cover many applications with only 4 rigs. And depending on the body of water you are fishing, will depend on how you need them set up.

<")))>{

My wife says she is gonna leave me if I go fishing one more time........lord how I will miss that woman.

loomisguy

• Lunker
  • Baby Bass
« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2017, 01:50:34 PM »

5 rods and a tackle bag for me.

Captsteve

• Charter Member
  • Captain on Watch
« Reply #7 on: October 22, 2017, 04:00:59 PM »

I'm still a long ways from fishing a tournament.  Got to learn to catch before I can think about competing.  So for now I don't have to worry about any of this.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Steve
Headed for the Lake

Oldfart9999

• Ultimate Basser
  • Baby Bass
« Reply #8 on: October 22, 2017, 06:56:52 PM »

5 rods and a tackle bag for me.
When I fished non-boater I carried 6 outfits in a BPS rod & reel carrier, when not in use they were in it. I carried one bag but boy was it packed! lo I blew that puppy out after 2 seasons! lo lo ::)
Rodney
Old Fishermen never die, their rods just go limp.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Monster Fishing Tactle is the best place to buy your tackle needs Check them out online

When Bass Fishing Is More than Just a Hobby - Dobyns Rods

The most innovative and technologically advanced fishing rod blanks on the planet

Get Chomped at Mega Chomp Lure Company and Get The Best Baits for your Money

QUICK LINKS
UB Home
Main Forum
Welcome
Dock Talk
Techniques
Rods and Reels
Tackle Box
Catch of the Day
UB Contests
Tips and Ideas
Sponsor Connection
Fishing Reports
Charter Members Only
Bass Fishing Classified Ads
Boats 4 Sale

BECOME A
CHARTER MEMBER
SUPPORT UB

Find out about the contests before everyone else and know about the latest news first

Page Up

Page created in 0.064 seconds with 34 queries.