Not ready for cold weather!

Started by Stren_g, October 22, 2017, 10:54:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Stren_g

Went out this morning, 35 degrees with a slight breeze. I had to chip ice off my guides a few times and couldn't feel my fingers after a half hour. I'm not ready for this haha did get a few though and a nice fat 17".

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Pacific NW Ron

Nice fish.  We're just about there (freezing temps) too.  I used to fish steelhead all winter but when it gets down in the lower 40's it's time for this old man to hang it up for the winter.   I don't fish for any thing at those temps anymore.
This sounds crazy, but another way to get ice off your rod is to dip it in the water. 
Ron
Enjoying retirement in the great Pacific Northwest.  I've turned into a fair weather angler.  Why do it today when I can do it tomorrow?

Stren_g

It's not supposed to get over 50 next weekend, lows in the 20s. I'll fish until the water ices over if I can stand it!

Wizard

While there is only 100 miles distance between LOZ and Table Rock, winter weather systems often stall out in Missouri. The air temp can be 32 degrees at LOZ and 70 degrees at the Rock. The Wooley Bears and Squirrels are telling me it is going to be a cold winter. The NWS is saying just the opposite. I trust Wooley Bears.

Wizard

Lipripper

No ice here yet but we have a cold front going through now with  ~rain and then the temps are going to drop with a high of 49* and a low of 39* on Tue so it's not to far off. Nice fish by the way. I use to ice fish when I was younger but like you Ron I can't stan the cold and ice anymore.

Kats Rule And Bass Drool.Viet Nam Vet

Stren_g

I reckon I'm still young by most folks' standards, but I don't handle the cold very well. I don't think I'll ever get acclimated to the fall and winters here! Wiz I agree about the weather this coming winter. I think it's going to be similar to last year. Overall cold, with a few brutally cold blasts here and there.

coldfront

same here.  ALMOST had to wear socks Saturday morning.

but managed to make it work with shorts and a sweatshirt.

brrrrr

Stren_g

Gonna have to start getting on the water around mid afternoon, sometimes I miss the southern weather!

LgMouthGambler

35! WTF!? Thats half of what I consider to be tolerable! Lol.

<")))>{

My wife says she is gonna leave me if I go fishing one more time........lord how I will miss that woman.

Lipripper

Quote from: LgMouthGambler on October 22, 2017, 01:05:15 PM
35! WTF!? Thats half of what I consider to be tolerable! Lol.

<")))>{
You would freeze if you got that cold.  lo lo

Stren_g

Lipripper

Stren_g

Yep, the only good part of winter that I've experienced is when it's over

coldfront

Quote from: Lipripper on October 22, 2017, 01:15:20 PM
Yelp winter is on the way.

so I'm laughing as I type this.

had the opportunity to get out with MSBG Jake a few weeks back so he could coach me up, 'learn me' a few things.

As we were talking seasons, Jake was talking spring.  I finally asked 'when is this spring'?
turns out it's January/February.

so technically, I don't  think we really have winter down here in southern TN.

Stren_g

I don't have a way to check the water temps, but that bass was pretty cool. I'd bet the water is in the neighborhood of 55 give or take. It's now time that the jig shines for me. Weeds/ vegetation are about all gone, and the water is cool.