Anyone using the Daiwa RG casting reel?

Started by 1ReelFanatik, October 23, 2017, 08:38:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

1ReelFanatik

I asked on another forum, but apparently no one has over there.  I know when I first decided to get back into fishing in '09...and joined a few forums...the consensus was that you needed to spend at least $250 for a Daiwa in order to get a reel of comparable quality to other brands for the price.  I don't really believe that as I got a Procaster 100HN on closeout for $30.  Retail was $69.95.  It isn't a light or small reel, but I feel it is excellent quality at more than retail.  Feels rock solid to me.

Anyhoo...I was wondering if Daiwa has made another reel that is excellent for the price like the Tatula line is.

SteveTX

I have to say I am not a Daiwa fan but never fear there are many people on this forum and of those several take their Daiwas to bed with them.  lo 

I am absolutely positive if your question doesn't get answered someone will respond just to comment back on my jab at them Daiwa lovers.  >:D ;)

Just sit tight till tomorrow someone will respond soon with ya some info.

LgMouthGambler

It's not a true Daiwa. It's a hybrid reel that had magforce braking, but the overall build and design was subbed out to a China source. You are better off jumping up to the Fuego CT so you get an aluminum frame, and a more true Daiwa build.

<")))>{

My wife says she is gonna leave me if I go fishing one more time........lord how I will miss that woman.

zSTLj

daiwa is an excellent/ reliable company, they are a little more advanced and progressive than most companies I think also .

I found lews to be the absolute best for comfort, strength, easy to learn, not 250$.   It's all what ur comfortable with tho, stay confident

1ReelFanatik

Thanks.  Not that I am actively looking for a new reel.  :-)

zSTLj

Does it have the T Wimg and has anyone used one?

LgMouthGambler

Quote from: zSTLj on October 24, 2017, 07:24:14 AM
Does it have the T Wimg and has anyone used one?

No. The TWS system starts at the Tatula line.
My wife says she is gonna leave me if I go fishing one more time........lord how I will miss that woman.

zSTLj

SFL BassHunter

Quote from: 1ReelFanatik on October 23, 2017, 08:38:24 AM
I asked on another forum, but apparently no one has over there.  I know when I first decided to get back into fishing in '09...and joined a few forums...the consensus was that you needed to spend at least $250 for a Daiwa in order to get a reel of comparable quality to other brands for the price.  I don't really believe that as I got a Procaster 100HN on closeout for $30.  Retail was $69.95.  It isn't a light or small reel, but I feel it is excellent quality at more than retail.  Feels rock solid to me.

Anyhoo...I was wondering if Daiwa has made another reel that is excellent for the price like the Tatula line is.

That is absolute garbage information you were provided.

As an owner of 5 different Daiwa Tatula reels, I can tell you that spending 100-120 on a Tatula/Tatula CT is well worth the money. I have a Tatula CT with a bearing upgrade that cost something like an extra 15 bucks. That reel casts unbelievably smooth, and as far as any reel I have seen. The bearing upgrade was just an extra, out of the box the CT is a fantastic reel.
You can spend 150-200 on a Tatula SV which is a phenomenal reel. Anyone who says you need to spend 250 dollars or more on a reel is a reel snob or enthusiast.

If you are looking for something of less cost, I think looking at the Fuego CT might be a good idea. It doesn't have the TWS system though. This reel can be found for 79.99. Might want to see if you can find one to hold. It should be a small form factor like the Tat CT. Though it isn't as light.

You can also get some really good Shimano reels for under 200.
Lews was also mentioned. They have great reels for under 200.

I don't know much about the RG though.
PB: 6lbs 5oz / 24.25 inches.
Rods/Reels Dobyns, 13 Fishing, Cabelas Arachnid, Daiwa Tatula CT, Tatula SVTW, Tatula Tactical, Tatula Type R
Florida Bass Fishing

1ReelFanatik

Quote from: rickdelprado on October 24, 2017, 08:59:33 AM
That is absolute garbage information you were provided.

As an owner of 5 different Daiwa Tatula reels, I can tell you that spending 100-120 on a Tatula/Tatula CT is well worth the money. I have a Tatula CT with a bearing upgrade that cost something like an extra 15 bucks. That reel casts unbelievably smooth, and as far as any reel I have seen. The bearing upgrade was just an extra, out of the box the CT is a fantastic reel.
You can spend 150-200 on a Tatula SV which is a phenomenal reel. Anyone who says you need to spend 250 dollars or more on a reel is a reel snob or enthusiast.

If you are looking for something of less cost, I think looking at the Fuego CT might be a good idea. It doesn't have the TWS system though. This reel can be found for 79.99. Might want to see if you can find one to hold. It should be a small form factor like the Tat CT. Though it isn't as light.

You can also get some really good Shimano reels for under 200.
Lews was also mentioned. They have great reels for under 200.

I don't know much about the RG though.

lo  You got a little prematurely excited.  Notice I said that was the consensus when I got back into fishing in '09.  Daiwa has turned that perception 180 degrees around in the past few years.  Most people agree...that have used one...that the Tatula reels are a lot of reel for your money.  I had one of the originals, but practically gave it to a young college guy wanting to get into baitcast reels.  I still own 2 original Tatula Type Rs although one is a Limited Edition and has only been out of the box to admire.  I also have a Tatula SV TW.  Very nice.  No Fuego CT, but Tackletour gave them a "Best Value Award".

I hadn't read anything about the RG reels and was wondering if they fell into the same category as the Tatula line....great value for the money.  Apparently not.  I picked up one of the original Fuegos that I am giving to a brother.  May pick up a new Fuego for his wife since she also likes to fish.  Neither have every used a baitcast reel.  Figure I would sign up a couple more recruits for the Bait Monkey.    :)

SFL BassHunter

Quote from: 1ReelFanatik on October 24, 2017, 11:03:11 AM
lo  You got a little prematurely excited.  Notice I said that was the consensus when I got back into fishing in '09.  Daiwa has turned that perception 180 degrees around in the past few years.  Most people agree...that have used one...that the Tatula reels are a lot of reel for your money.  I had one of the originals, but practically gave it to a young college guy wanting to get into baitcast reels.  I still own 2 original Tatula Type Rs although one is a Limited Edition and has only been out of the box to admire.  I also have a Tatula SV TW.  Very nice.  No Fuego CT, but Tackletour gave them a "Best Value Award".

I hadn't read anything about the RG reels and was wondering if they fell into the same category as the Tatula line....great value for the money.  Apparently not.  I picked up one of the original Fuegos that I am giving to a brother.  May pick up a new Fuego for his wife since she also likes to fish.  Neither have every used a baitcast reel.  Figure I would sign up a couple more recruits for the Bait Monkey.    :)

Yeah I skimmed through, missed the 09 part.
Rods/Reels Dobyns, 13 Fishing, Cabelas Arachnid, Daiwa Tatula CT, Tatula SVTW, Tatula Tactical, Tatula Type R
Florida Bass Fishing

SteveTX

SFL BassHunter

Quote from: SteveTX on October 24, 2017, 07:30:48 PM
~roflmao lo ~roflmao lo ~roflmao
Something I can see myself doing.

I mean seriously who reads an entire paragraph? lol

It's like instructions. I either just throw them out, or skim through them then throw them out.
But then sometimes I gotta go back in the garbage to retrieve them...lol
Florida Bass Fishing

Captsteve

Quote from: rickdelprado on October 24, 2017, 07:45:15 PM
I mean seriously who reads an entire paragraph? lol

It's like instructions. I either just throw them out, or skim through them then throw them out.
But then sometimes I gotta go back in the garbage to retrieve them...lol
lol

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Steve
Headed for the Lake