Ultimate Bass ULTIMATE BASS | BASS FISHING CLASSIFIED ADS | CONTACT US    

Bass Fishing information about bass boats, tackle, fishing rods, baitcasters and other reels all about bass fishing.
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Tapatalk should be back up. Please report issues -->here<--. Thank you!

Page Down
FREE TACKLE EVERY WEEK

Bass Anglers Magazine - The Best bass fishing magazine on the rack! Subscribe Today and Catch More Bass

NuTech Lures

Doc Irv Custom Baits

Life Vantage

Get Bit Outdoors

Fishing Frenzy Tackle

Bass Anglers Magazine - The Best bass fishing magazine on the rack! Subscribe Today and Catch More Bass

Bass Boats For Sale Free Classified Ads

Laurie Cork
Ph. (318)347-7380
You can Email Me Here

Mike Cork
Ph. (318)560-9827

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Reel longevity  (Read 299 times)

LgMouthGambler

• Charter Member
  • Shimano, Daiwa, HawgTech, Dobyns, LSCR, Megabass
Reel longevity
« on: October 23, 2017, 02:03:53 PM »

Here is something that I wanted to get opinions on from my fellow anglers. We all have out preferred brands and styles of reels in their respective pricepoints. Lets say for arguments sake you were spending a roundabout $150 on a given reel. (this will put it in the "workhorse" category). How long do you expect it to work problem free (part failure), before you have it serviced? Now, I know we all dont fish the same, and dont fish the same amount of time in a given calendar year. Me being a service junkie, and trying to get the most out of a reel, Im just curious as to what yalls expectations are.

Here is why I ask: Person gives a reel to me for service, and states that it is a bit "grindy" on the retrieve. OK, whens the last time you had it serviced? "Oh, never". How long you had the reel? "About 3 years". Im not gonna say what it looks like on the inside, or what was wrong with it. But, sometimes people have some weird expectations on how these things should hold up to our fishing habits.
My wife says she is gonna leave me if I go fishing one more time........lord how I will miss that woman.

Lipripper

• Life Member
  • Illinois
Re: Reel longevity
« Reply #1 on: October 23, 2017, 02:29:55 PM »

3 years of use without any kind of service care give to it is asking for trouble. Unless he only used it 3 or 4 times a year.  ~b~

Kats Rule And Bass Drool.Viet Nam Vet

Bud Kennedy

• Charter Member
  • PFD's and KILL SWITCHES SAVE LIVES
« Reply #2 on: October 23, 2017, 02:48:39 PM »

It has been my practice for many years to have my reels service every two years.  Although I don't fish as much as in the past the dirt build up is still significant in a couple years.  Since I fish mostly braid I expect that the dirt picked up by the braid and vegetation can be problematic.  I am not too sure about the Daiwa reels as yet.  The seem to be a bit more sensitive to this than my Lews.  I don't leave my rods and reels in the boat and for the most part are in the house in a controlled environment.  When fishing multiple days in the same week the rods and reels are in the garage with no environment and a bit dusty in there as well.  Since my Dawiwa's are new I believe they need a good lube but thats about it.  It will be interesting to see what you detect at Guntersville.

SteelHorseCowboy

• Largemouth
  • Baby Bass
« Reply #3 on: October 23, 2017, 03:05:23 PM »

Ah... I'm sure you know a topic like this is going to illicit a response from me about my Ambassadeur.
Cleaned and relubed twice a year, then spent 5-7 years or so in storage.
Have replaced one part in somewhere around 23 years, that dang cogwheel.
Smooth as silk.

Lee Smith

• LM Community Diplomat
  • Gotta Love It!
« Reply #4 on: October 23, 2017, 05:35:07 PM »

On normal years I cleaned/lubed and replaced as needed twice a year, but I fished a lot!  This year, I could get by with, , , , , , nevermind, last year I could have got by with once  ~roflmao
Builder of Custom Personal Bassin' Rods

SteveTX

• Charter Member
« Reply #5 on: October 23, 2017, 11:11:50 PM »

I fish 3 to 5 times a week in nice weather and 2 to 3 times a week in not so nice weather. I rotate through 4 to 6 reels a day fishing though. So time on each reel is split up usually. I typically do the routine cleaning and lube about every 6 months. Of course when my reels last 5 years I think I easily got my money out of them.

Oldfart9999

• Ultimate Basser
  • Baby Bass
« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2017, 06:28:47 AM »

I do a tear down every winter, and a quick lube and wipe down at least once during the season, I expect at least 5 years of service. I have several reels that are 20 or so years old and still perform well.
Rodney
Old Fishermen never die, their rods just go limp.

zSTLj

• Smallmouth
  • Baby Bass
« Reply #7 on: October 24, 2017, 06:56:35 AM »

Every 2 weeks with oils and. Basic cleaning , then I sent it in once. Year for a full clean and grease. There is so much gunk and nast stuff every single cast going in ur worm gear and etcit's unbelievable. 

fishballer06

• Charter Member
  • Baby Bass
« Reply #8 on: October 24, 2017, 08:45:16 AM »

3-5 years, however I wipe my reels down and put a drop of oil on the bearings and brake drum whenever needed (Shimano). I also usually have my reels serviced professional once every year or two just to keep them in tip top shape.

I don't abuse my gear to find out how long it would actually go before something broke.

Pro Reel

• Lunker
« Reply #9 on: October 24, 2017, 05:10:07 PM »

Most of my customers seem to think that when the reel starts acting up, that's when it's time to get it serviced. Then they act surprised to hear that it needs parts. Go figure.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Monster Fishing Tactle is the best place to buy your tackle needs Check them out online

When Bass Fishing Is More than Just a Hobby - Dobyns Rods

The most innovative and technologically advanced fishing rod blanks on the planet

Get Chomped at Mega Chomp Lure Company and Get The Best Baits for your Money

QUICK LINKS
UB Home
Main Forum
Welcome
Dock Talk
Techniques
Rods and Reels
Tackle Box
Catch of the Day
UB Contests
Tips and Ideas
Sponsor Connection
Fishing Reports
Charter Members Only
Bass Fishing Classified Ads
Boats 4 Sale

BECOME A
CHARTER MEMBER
SUPPORT UB

Find out about the contests before everyone else and know about the latest news first

Page Up

Page created in 0.063 seconds with 34 queries.