Ultimate Bass ULTIMATE BASS | BASS FISHING CLASSIFIED ADS | CONTACT US    

Bass Fishing information about bass boats, tackle, fishing rods, baitcasters and other reels all about bass fishing.
Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

News:

Tapatalk should be back up. Please report issues -->here<--. Thank you!

Page Down
FREE TACKLE EVERY WEEK

Bass Anglers Magazine - The Best bass fishing magazine on the rack! Subscribe Today and Catch More Bass

NuTech Lures

Doc Irv Custom Baits

Life Vantage

Get Bit Outdoors

Fishing Frenzy Tackle

Bass Anglers Magazine - The Best bass fishing magazine on the rack! Subscribe Today and Catch More Bass

Bass Boats For Sale Free Classified Ads

Laurie Cork
Ph. (318)347-7380
You can Email Me Here

Mike Cork
Ph. (318)560-9827

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Old "New Guy"  (Read 253 times)

D.W. Verts

• Smallmouth
  • Baby Bass
Old "New Guy"
« on: October 24, 2017, 12:08:30 AM »

Man, where do I start?

First off, although I've been doin' this most of my life, I'm well aware that I still don't know a thing. I want to get that out there up front. And while I don't know how much I'll actually post here (us old guys sometimes don't come across too well on these forums), I will say that if I post something that sounds harsh, it probably isn't so. I just don't like to beat around the bush, unless it's with a Flippin' Stick in my hand.

I'm 53 years old, have been married coming up on 25 years to a tremendous woman (although maybe not very bright, I mean, 25 years with ME, sheesh!), and have three children, a 19 year-old son, and twin 16 year-old daughters. We own a very small, and VERY rural restaurant in Florence, Missouri. I live about 25 minutes from Lake of the Ozarks, and 35 minutes from Truman. I've been an outdoor writer in the past, with several articles published in national magazines (mostly fur trappin' publications, another passion of mine) as well as an outdoor magazine I published myself for ten years. So, being a writer, this little introduction will be a little long-winded. I just can't help myself! I also have sold boats for many years, mainly to keep me inside the industry when I was still fishin' hard.

I started bass fishin' when I was 12, and fished my first tournament at age 14. From the beginning it's all I ever wanted to do. Like so many others, I sacrificed a lot over the years. I fished tournaments and guided for 21 years, and I had some pretty good days, although you'd have to dig some to find any of my successes- most were in the pre-internet days. I won a bunch of smaller tournaments, had some success  in Pro-Am formats, and even fished two B.A.S.S. events in 1996, drawing a check in one of them.

But I never was a rich man, and it takes $ to do this successfully. My fishing dropped off drastically after the birth of my son, and I retired from competitive angling completely when I found out we were gonna have TWINS. Wowee.

The strange thing is I almost completely quit fishin' after that. I'd fish a pond once in a while, and fished two more small tournaments in 2002 and 2003, but that's it. I'm really not sure why. Finally in 2015 I never bought a fishin' license, at all. Sad.

Then in August of 2016 one of daughters asked if we could go, and when a 15 year-old girl wants to do something with the old man, you DO IT. And the rest is history. The bassin' bug bit me BAD, and I've fished pretty hard since then, mostly on ponds and small lakes. And I've had a BLAST.

I bought an OLD Charger bass boat in August- the motor was bad, and I wanted a new-technology engine anyway. I picked up a blown 2010 Opti at Bull Shoals, and it's being rebuilt by my Mercury Master Tech right now. The boat is in decent shape for its age- it had new seats installed, new carpet, and had brand-new hydraulic steering on it. I've added a keel protector, battery charger, modernized the live well system, added two new Garmin graphs with Panoptix on the front, a brand-new trolling motor and three batteries, rod tie downs, well- you name it. I'm even going with Power Poles or Talons this winter.

So it goes to show you how bad I've gotten it.

Of course, being very competitive by nature, I think about fishin' tournaments again. I watch all the stuff on You Tube, and I drool a little. BUT- I had a slight stroke in 2007, and it's made  a difference in how I do things. I have a badly-healed ankle injury that messed me up all over, and I've recently been diagnosed with very debilitating occurrences of gout that leave me almost immobile, so this may be  a pipe dream. But even at 53 years of age, I like to dream.

So I work on my old and broke-down tackle, I fish a little, and I enjoy every day way more than I did when I was in my prime. I look at these forums and see what other folks are up to. It's a crazy new world out there nowadays, compared to when I left off 16 years ago. New baits, new techniques (although it's amazing how many of these are just renovations on OLD techniques!), and of course, new FACES. But so far it's mostly been a lot of fun, and if that's all I ever have, I reckon it'll be good enough.

So there ya go. Almost a novella. Peace.
Just an old, broke-down bass fisherman.

68camaro

• Charter Member
  • Baby Bass
Re: Old "New Guy"
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2017, 05:28:49 AM »

Hello and welcome.....nice write up about yourself, you certainly have experienced life and have the memories for it. It doesn't sound like gout will keep you down, enjoy the boat and keep fishing.
Dobyns, JB Custom, Megabass

zSTLj

• Smallmouth
  • Baby Bass
« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2017, 05:41:28 AM »

Fishing is by far  best hobby / sport. And I played college ball . Fishing is so tough also and the strategy is awe so,e

LgMouthGambler

• Charter Member
  • Shimano, Daiwa, HawgTech, Dobyns, LSCR, Megabass
« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2017, 08:20:16 AM »

Welcome!
My wife says she is gonna leave me if I go fishing one more time........lord how I will miss that woman.

Mike Cork

• Father Time
  • Admin
  • Get the Net it's a Hawg
    • Ultimate Bass
« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2017, 08:26:28 AM »

Welcome aboard we are excited to have your knowledge and experience here on UB  ~c~ I loved your big bass story ~c~
Fishing is more than just a hobby

Dobyns Rods - Monster Fishing Tackle
Cork's Reel Service

sportsmansfriend

• Ultimate Basser
  • (425)299-1861
« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2017, 08:44:23 AM »

Welcome to UB.  You will find a lot of information on UltimateBass and there are a lot of opinions available. The members on this forum will treat you like family. If you have a question about anything, just post it and youíll get lots of answers. If you have a hint or an idea we would love to hear it. If you have a fishing story to tell post it, we all love a good story. The great guys and gals on UB are all willing to help.
Ron
Enjoying retirement in the great Pacific Northwest.

zippyduck

• Charter Member
  • Daiwa, LSCR, Dobyns, Nutech, Keitech, Yamamoto
« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2017, 11:50:38 AM »

Welcome to UB!!!!!

I think you will have more to offer than you are admitting, Many of us older folks here so you will fit in just fine.
If you need me I'm outdoors.

Lipripper

• Life Member
  • Illinois
« Reply #7 on: October 24, 2017, 11:57:53 AM »

and to Ultimate Bass and glad to have you here with us so make yourself right at  :)hsh:  and I can tell you should fit right in here and  love you fishing story about your 8 lb bass.  ~c~ ~c~ Hope to see more from you when you have time.

Kats Rule And Bass Drool.Viet Nam Vet

oldjim

• Charter Member
« Reply #8 on: October 24, 2017, 12:09:27 PM »

Welcome youngster, Been been club fishing here in La, about 12years. FYI I am 78.
oldjim

Smallie_Stalker

• Good things come to those who bait !!!
« Reply #9 on: October 24, 2017, 06:00:36 PM »

Hey D.W. Welcome to the Ultimate Bass family! Pleasure to have you with us. Pull up a chair, make yourself right at home and jump in wherever you feel comfortable.

With your experience you are going to be a great asset to us here. There are plenty of us old guys here, so you will fit right in just fine.   ;D

If you would like to win some free gear from some of the great companies that sponsor our site be sure and put your name in for the New Memberís Contest and the Weekly Contests .

Looking forward to seeing you around the boards and to learning from what you share with us.

In the meantime, if you need any help with anything at all please don't hesitate to contact me or any other staff member.

Once again, Welcome!

><> Smallie_Stalker  <><
Supporting Companies: Abu Garcia  Berkley  Pflueger  Fenwick  Shakespeare  Spiderwire

Donald Garner

• LM Forum Staff
  • B.A.S.S. Life Member / LSCR Club Member
« Reply #10 on: October 24, 2017, 06:08:03 PM »

D.W.

Welcome to the UltimateBass Family we're glad you're here  ~c~
Belton Texas part of God's Country
Stratos 285 Pro XL Yamaha 150 VMax

SteveTX

• Charter Member
« Reply #11 on: October 24, 2017, 09:08:23 PM »

Welcome to UltimateBass.

D.W. Verts

• Smallmouth
  • Baby Bass
« Reply #12 on: October 24, 2017, 09:56:41 PM »

Thanks all. Most definitely a friendlier format than some I've come across!

This interweb superhighway has sure changed the sport (same with fur trapping). So much information is right there, at your fingertips. I worry however sometimes that it may make it harder on the new guy in the long run. There just ain't NOTHIN' like learnin' it for yourself.

Dale
Just an old, broke-down bass fisherman.

Captsteve

• Charter Member
  • Captain on Watch
Re: Old &quot;New Guy&quot;
« Reply #13 on: October 25, 2017, 06:32:30 AM »

welcome to UB and welcome back to bass fishing

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

Steve
Headed for the Lake

Smallie_Stalker

• Good things come to those who bait !!!
« Reply #14 on: October 25, 2017, 04:53:11 PM »

Thanks all. Most definitely a friendlier format than some I've come across!

This interweb superhighway has sure changed the sport (same with fur trapping). So much information is right there, at your fingertips. I worry however sometimes that it may make it harder on the new guy in the long run. There just ain't NOTHIN' like learnin' it for yourself.

Dale

So true Dale. Nothing beats time spent on the water and the experience that comes with it.  ~bb
Supporting Companies: Abu Garcia  Berkley  Pflueger  Fenwick  Shakespeare  Spiderwire
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Monster Fishing Tactle is the best place to buy your tackle needs Check them out online

When Bass Fishing Is More than Just a Hobby - Dobyns Rods

The most innovative and technologically advanced fishing rod blanks on the planet

Get Chomped at Mega Chomp Lure Company and Get The Best Baits for your Money

QUICK LINKS
UB Home
Main Forum
Welcome
Dock Talk
Techniques
Rods and Reels
Tackle Box
Catch of the Day
UB Contests
Tips and Ideas
Sponsor Connection
Fishing Reports
Charter Members Only
Bass Fishing Classified Ads
Boats 4 Sale

BECOME A
CHARTER MEMBER
SUPPORT UB

Find out about the contests before everyone else and know about the latest news first

Page Up

Page created in 0.067 seconds with 35 queries.